Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Southern Conference 2013

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

OK, clubs scheduled for a meeting tomorrow.

Who's up to guess the likely runners and riders at the starting gate next March/April?

Come on bowes, you know you want to....
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#2 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Okay then I'll have some kind of go.

IMO:

Definites:
Bristol
Nottingham
Northampton
St Albans
Eastern Rhinos

Probables:
London Skolars A
Hemel A
Leicester
Sheffield Hallam (if geographically permissable)

Possibles:
South Wales Hornets
University of Gloucestershire All Golds A
Hammersmith Hillshoists

#3 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Not at all bad Bowes !

I believe the meeting tomorrow is a presentation by the RFL to clubs who have expressed a real interest in being involved

You may have named just one too many clubs , that's all............. ;)

#4 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Will they be playing a full season?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#5 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Will they be playing a full season?

If the eleven go for it then yes , 20 league games plus Conference Cup and (probably ) qualifying round (s) of the Challenge Cup during 2013.

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

I'm going to guess at Hammersmith being the ones not in? 11 teams is a good league though.

#7 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Lets see what tomorrow brings. This is probably as significant a development as the launch of the summer conference 17 seasons ago.

#8 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

VERY positive meeting today, some good themes discussed around season calendar, governance and minimum standards. Clubs now have until 30th November to present their case to the RFL for membership.

#9 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Nice one :)

#10 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Which direction do people think the midlands and south tier 4 leagues should go?

I think with the creation of the Conference South they should look at making it one level as localised as possible. But would perhaps be harsh on the likes of Birmingham and South London?

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Which direction do people think the midlands and south tier 4 leagues should go?
I think with the creation of the Conference South they should look at making it one level as localised as possible. But would perhaps be harsh on the likes of Birmingham and South London?

Can't speak for London but it's Birmingham's own responsibility to get their house in order to become a club that can produce a good strong team reliably over a long season rather than a team of variable quality in the RU off season. We can't build structures around the needs of one club. That goes for all clubs, including my own.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#12 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

The south London area is a million miles from returning to this kind of level. RL-wise there's heaps of uncertainty with rumours of a Storm/Sharks tie-in, the new club in Beckenham and a probable new Croydon club at Storm's old landlords, Streatham-Croydon RFC ( B) ).

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#13 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Can't speak for London but it's Birmingham's own responsibility to get their house in order to become a club that can produce a good strong team reliably over a long season rather than a team of variable quality in the RU off season. We can't build structures around the needs of one club. That goes for all clubs, including my own.

On balance I agree. Realistically Midlands Rugby League has enough clubs for 2 divisions so it's just a debate between whether they are west and east or premier and division 1. I tend towards the former.

#14 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

The south London area is a million miles from returning to this kind of level. RL-wise there's heaps of uncertainty with rumours of a Storm/Sharks tie-in, the new club in Beckenham and a probable new Croydon club at Storm's old landlords, Streatham-Croydon RFC ( B) ).

Also east London has several clubs in the merit league who may step up to a London division (if it were split from south east), though the same point I made above with regards to how to split the midlands divisions could be applied to London and South East.

The sticking point is if Hammersmith aren't a part of the Conference South as there's no way Greenwich or Barking and Dagenham say could play them. But this is a return to Tim's point about not basing it round one club.

Edited by bowes, 18 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#15 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

What you up to this time Mr Harker???

#16 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

One issue I just thought of is will this affect the Community Shield format as this year there were 10 teams from the south but realistically once you've created Conference South there are very few tier 4 midlands or south teams you could safely send to play Fryston or Bank Quay.

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Does Conference South have to be tier 3?

Surely the playing standards would be more like tier 4?

#18 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

One issue I just thought of is will this affect the Community Shield format as this year there were 10 teams from the south but realistically once you've created Conference South there are very few tier 4 midlands or south teams you could safely send to play Fryston or Bank Quay.

Don't think there is many tier 3 sides who would be safe either.

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Is it a case of the quality of the packaging or the quality of the product.

#20 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

Lets see what tomorrow brings. This is probably as significant a development as the launch of the summer conference 17 seasons ago.

Easily as significant, probably more so. I just hope the league sets a high standard - as the Summer Conference did all those years ago -and sticks to it.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users