Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Southern Conference 2013

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

The devil is in the details. National league three could have been significant if the timing had been right.

#22 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Is it a case of the quality of the packaging or the quality of the product.

Exactly the point!

#23 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Does Conference South have to be tier 3?

Surely the playing standards would be more like tier 4?

If it's tier 4 then the clubs can't get RFL funding in the same way so wouldn't be viable IMO. The standards would probably not be too different from NCL division 3, at least after the first season of promotion and relegation has occurred.

Edited by bowes, 18 November 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#24 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Exactly the point!

Did the same when they introduced premier divisions to the RLC, dressed it up and with the clamber to be called a premier division club some fell at the first fence simply because they never had the criteria where it really matters.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#25 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

If it's tier 4 then the clubs can't get RFL funding in the same way so wouldn't be viable IMO. The standards would probably not be too different from NCL division 3, at least after the first season of promotion and relegation has occurred.

Thats just a ploy not to give BARLA tier 4 clubs funding.

#26 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Did the same when they introduced premier divisions to the RLC, dressed it up and with the clamber to be called a premier division club some fell at the first fence simply because they never had the criteria where it really matters.

I think we're a fair way on from those days tho. Im sure the standards will be as equally robust and as rigourously enforced as other Tier 3 comps.

#27 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

What you up to this time Mr Harker???

Me? Not much! I've been asked if I want to be involved. Still mulling it over

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#28 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Get involved, you have to much knowledge of the game to be wasted.

#29 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

A fiver says you cave in before the season starts!

Are you no longer involved with Storm? I thought you, Gilesy, Julian and others had come back to rescue the club after the 'issues' that coincided with the slump.

Edited by Pottsy, 19 November 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#30 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thats just a ploy not to give BARLA tier 4 clubs funding.

Why should BARLA or any other tier 4 clubs get central funding? We, and the Spires before us, have never had any cash from the RFL. I think the end to RLC subsidies and centrally paying 100% for refs was long overdue.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#31 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Why should BARLA or any other tier 4 clubs get central funding? We, and the Spires before us, have never had any cash from the RFL. I think the end to RLC subsidies and centrally paying 100% for refs was long overdue.

An 80-20 split in favour of the heartlands seems a fair split in terms of elite amateur funding IMO

#32 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

The south London area is a million miles from returning to this kind of level. RL-wise there's heaps of uncertainty with rumours of a Storm/Sharks tie-in, the new club in Beckenham and a probable new Croydon club at Storm's old landlords, Streatham-Croydon RFC ( B) ).

Where would a merged South London and West London be likely to play?

#33 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

BARLA did receive £130k ring fenced which helped to fund BARLA services.

On unification all funding was then channelled to the RFL and was part of the £29.7 Million over 3 years which did get reduced because of non delivery of certain items, after the vote to go summer by many amateurs the RFL have dedicated the funding to tier 3 which is all summer based and with tier 4 being mainly winter no money was directed that way, The RFL put this down to the loss of an amount from the £29.7 million from Sports England.

To many twists and turns but in short tier 3 is being funded because thats the next step down from the pro game and the RFL are preparing for the next step which is placing contracted championship players in the NCL which of course is under the control of the RFL.

This will leave the RFL controlling all clubs from Super League down to the NCL all without wearing a mask - From my sources I was told that a certain member of the NCL Committee was against contracted players playing in the NCL, I'm waiting and watching.

#34 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

A fiver says you cave in before the season starts!

Are you no longer involved with Storm? I thought you, Gilesy, Julian and others had come back to rescue the club after the 'issues' that coincided with the slump.

Not sure what's happening at Storm! I know that Beckenham Bears seem to be attracting a few of the Storm guys so i could be a tough year for the club. The move to the school probably hasn't worked as well as was hoped.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#35 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Beckenham could hit Greenwich as well who really struggled last year. A new Croydon team must be harmful as well. For Hammersmith to be the oldest amateur club in London would be a sad state of affairs.

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Beckenham could hit Greenwich as well who really struggled last year. A new Croydon team must be harmful as well. For Hammersmith to be the oldest amateur club in London would be a sad state of affairs.

Indeed. The game in London seems to have hit a bit of a hiatus after the huge successes of recent years. I hope it is only a temporary blip. It all looked so very promising very, very recently.

#37 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Indeed. The game in London seems to have hit a bit of a hiatus after the huge successes of recent years. I hope it is only a temporary blip. It all looked so very promising very, very recently.

I think Skolars recruiting well at A team level and Hammersmith taking Aussies off other clubs may be factors? There may be local factors though wouldn't like to guess. South London Storm have always done well at junior level though

South Wales has hit a much worse hiatus but hopefully in both cases something good can come as a result of junior development and new clubs? The question is whether to focus on a handful of strong clubs or lots of little ones.

Edited by bowes, 20 November 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#38 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

BARLA did receive £130k ring fenced which helped to fund BARLA services.

On unification all funding was then channelled to the RFL and was part of the £29.7 Million over 3 years which did get reduced because of non delivery of certain items, after the vote to go summer by many amateurs the RFL have dedicated the funding to tier 3 which is all summer based and with tier 4 being mainly winter no money was directed that way, The RFL put this down to the loss of an amount from the £29.7 million from Sports England.

To many twists and turns but in short tier 3 is being funded because thats the next step down from the pro game and the RFL are preparing for the next step which is placing contracted championship players in the NCL which of course is under the control of the RFL.

This will leave the RFL controlling all clubs from Super League down to the NCL all without wearing a mask - From my sources I was told that a certain member of the NCL Committee was against contracted players playing in the NCL, I'm waiting and watching.

RFL grant aided non heartland activity for many years

The creation of a Tier 3 covering the whole of the UK gave the NCL the opportunity to argue that what was granted elsewhere should equally be granted to them. That argument was successful. The funding has been transitional and it has yet to be equalised , but that will happen if it continues.......

Tier 3 is a summer based concept . Any grants at this level ( the RFL are in serious cutback ) have yet to be negotiated....The South included . They well understand that. Let's see where we get......

The RFL no more control the NCL than they do SL. Or Barla for that matter. Everyone accepts overall governance , but day to day management is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And so to contracted players in the Community game. It's up for discussion on monday at Regulatory. Hope you have briefed your people Marauder......

But let me put this proposition.

If a scheme can be devised that means effectively 200 + players don't sign part time contracts in the first place and remain in the Community game , and a further 200 are available to the clubs within the Community game that are ' fringe ' semi - pro players anyway, thereby enhancing the player base at Tier 3 and top Tier 4 ,what are your philosophical issues ?

Or is it simply a case of massive mistrust in those put in charge of the process - probably the greatest failing of Barla in the last 20 years.....?

#39 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Not sure what's happening at Storm! I know that Beckenham Bears seem to be attracting a few of the Storm guys so i could be a tough year for the club. The move to the school probably hasn't worked as well as was hoped.

Wasnt there significant investment into the facillity there?

#40 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

RFL grant aided non heartland activity for many years

The creation of a Tier 3 covering the whole of the UK gave the NCL the opportunity to argue that what was granted elsewhere should equally be granted to them. That argument was successful. The funding has been transitional and it has yet to be equalised , but that will happen if it continues.......

Tier 3 is a summer based concept . Any grants at this level ( the RFL are in serious cutback ) have yet to be negotiated....The South included . They well understand that. Let's see where we get......

The RFL no more control the NCL than they do SL. Or Barla for that matter. Everyone accepts overall governance , but day to day management is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And so to contracted players in the Community game. It's up for discussion on monday at Regulatory. Hope you have briefed your people Marauder......

But let me put this proposition.

If a scheme can be devised that means effectively 200 + players don't sign part time contracts in the first place and remain in the Community game , and a further 200 are available to the clubs within the Community game that are ' fringe ' semi - pro players anyway, thereby enhancing the player base at Tier 3 and top Tier 4 ,what are your philosophical issues ?

Or is it simply a case of massive mistrust in those put in charge of the process - probably the greatest failing of Barla in the last 20 years.....?

In that case whats good for tier 3 should also be good enough for tier4 and was it argued for or simply offered.

Day to day management within whos guidelines?

Regulatory, ha ha done deal simply because the NCL can't retain the players during the summer so the overspill championship players will make the numbers up (You've lost your amateur game)

Edited by Marauder, 20 November 2012 - 10:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users