Southern Conference 2013

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#81 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

I;m with you on this Rob.. and its very sad that when you think of a few years earlier we were really moving somewhere.. wish i could have helped out the last few years but couldnt do it from so far away. You think of those around in the mid 2000's there arent many of us back in London but all of us would have helped if we could and it tends to show the difficulty Julian mentioned of London, longevity and admin staff.. the amount of htat team no longer in london is massive, all of us loved the club but all of around the same age so have young families and moved away.. London is a very tough place to get things going, once established they are great but it takes more than 10-15 years to establish something in london becuase of this transcience, its a strange old place.

Totally agree mate. I'd actually be surprised if many of the lads who played at Frant Road in the early to mid noughties still live in London. All the lads I can think of, other than Harks and Eric, have long since departed the smoke.

#82 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I think someone on here said that the amateur summer leagues would be announced before Christmas. Have they and I've missed them, or is there a delay. Anyone know?

#83 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

I think someone on here said that the amateur summer leagues would be announced before Christmas. Have they and I've missed them, or is there a delay. Anyone know?

Last I heard one club was faffing around delaying things but because the league is smaller than anticipated the RFL would still like to have them in.

The lack of travel funding seems to be an issue as well.

There are enough clubs for the league to go ahead which is a relief as IMO there's nowhere for Bristol, Nottingham, Leicester and Northampton to play at tier 4 if it falls through

#84 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hemel and South Wales are entering teams in the U20 league which may partly explain the reduction in numbers here

#85 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

See Cheltenham's Old Patesians are starting up a rugby league side in 2013 and being linked as the feeder club to Glos All Golds. Whats happening to Glos Warriors?

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#86 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

See Cheltenham's Old Patesians are starting up a rugby league side in 2013 and being linked as the feeder club to Glos All Golds. Whats happening to Glos Warriors?

Gloucestershire Warriors are still going but will only run one team in the West of England league. I saw some publicity calling them Gloucester Warriors but don't know if the name change is official

#87 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

http://www.therfl.co...-cheltenham-old

#88 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Gloucestershire Warriors are still going but will only run one team in the West of England league. I saw some publicity calling them Gloucester Warriors but don't know if the name change is official

Is it Easter weekend that Oxford play All Golds in CC1. Would be good to put on Cavaliers-Warriors as a curtain raiser to that. Also 17 years after Gloucetershire may well get its own derby Warriors/St Pates. All good stuff. Any idea where GAG will be playing.

Edited by audois, 04 January 2013 - 07:04 PM.

"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#89 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

UGAG are playing in Cheltenham think it's at the RU ground?

#90 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

UGAG are playing in Cheltenham think it's at the RU ground?

Prince of Wales Stadium?

#91 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yes.

#92 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

If All Golds, Oxford and the 2 Welsh clubs stay around for the long run what price a Conference League West eventually setting up with the increased interest?

#93 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

If All Golds, Oxford and the 2 Welsh clubs stay around for the long run what price a Conference League West eventually setting up with the increased interest?

Let's hope that works better than the Welsh League!

#94 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

The Welsh league was always a case of rapid unsustainable growth. Hopefully we've learned from experience

#95 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

2 Welsh sides as in North Wales Cru and SW Scorpions?
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#96 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

2 Welsh sides as in North Wales Cru and SW Scorpions?

Yeah. Guess North Wales sides could look Lancashire way when they're stronger as well but just thinking hypothetically. Would South Wales be better with 2 amateur clubs playing 20 games or 6 playing 10? Both would be preferable of course if possible.

#97 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

"Official Cheltenham feeder club" is how it's worded in the press release. Key difference. In theory all clubs in the West of England league (and the Conference League South club from the area, ahem) are "feeder clubs". I wouldn't read too much into it - basically it's one of Lionel Hurst's ideas. Personally I think the All Golds putting too much emphasis on a local union club is a bad idea - they may well get bored with League within six months and can the project.

In terms of the Warriors, I suspect they don't trust Lionel after getting their fingers burnt by him before. This is also fair enough, and it's their choice. I personally hope they survive and thrive - it would be bad if a local union club having a run out in the summer leads to their downfall, or in fact any other League club in the region.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#98 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Guessing fringe pro players would have to be sent to Bristol (if they agree) as West of England would be too low a standard?

#99 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

http://www.yorkshire...th-to-launch-in

The 6 clubs are:
Bristol Sonics
St Albans Centurions
Nottingham Outlaws
Northampton Demons
Leicester Storm
Sheffield Hallam Eagles

Apparently 4 sides have made expressions of interest to join in 2014. I believe these would create a more South East aligned league. I'm not aware of if Premier South will still run at tier 4 or not.

Edited by bowes, 18 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#100 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Apparently 4 sides have made expressions of interest to join in 2014.

I believe it'll be 2 in 2014 and 2 in 2015
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users