Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Southern Conference 2013

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I can think of 2 that will probably join next year but no idea about the other 2 (unless any Championship 1 clubs want reserves but doubt it with the U20s)

Edited by bowes, 18 January 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#102 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I can think of 2 that will probably join next year but no idea about the other 2.

I'm aware of 3 but can only remember the name of 1
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#103 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Coventry Bears (Community Side)
Bedford Tigers
Telford Raiders
Eastern Rhinos
Medway Dragons
Hemel Stags (Community Side)
A side from Gloucestershire
A side from Oxford
London Skolars (Community Side)

Can all probably be working towards membership in the short to medium term if they have a desire to play a March to October season, particularly where Junior Development is filling up their men's team ranks more and more.

#104 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Guessing fringe pro players would have to be sent to Bristol (if they agree) as West of England would be too low a standard?

Maybe - you'll have to wait and see :D
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#105 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Bedford Tigers
Telford Raiders
Eastern Rhinos
Medway Dragons
A side from Oxford

Can all probably be working towards membership in the short to medium term if they have a desire to play a March to October season, particularly where Junior Development is filling up their men's team ranks more and more.

Hammersmith? Or would the lack of juniors keep them out?

Elmbridge or Southampton maybe long term bets as well.

Eastern Rhinos look the closest out of that list, perhaps along with the pro clubs (once they've run U20 for a few seasons?)

#106 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

A bit short of numbers but very encouraging nonetheless. I really hope these clubs are sustainable at this level, and don't succumb to the great folding virus. To add to the 'Southern League' on a gradual basis, as and when the clubs are strong enough to be ready, would seem the sensible thing to do.

I really hope the clubs that have taken this courageous get all the support and backup the need and deserve.

And I suppose Sheffield is "the south" in rugby league terms. :)
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#107 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Bedford Tigers
Telford Raiders
Eastern Rhinos
Medway Dragons
A side from Oxford

Out of interest will Hemel and Skolars have a community open age side this year at tier 4?

#108 Hemel Rugby League

Hemel Rugby League
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hemel are playing Championship U20's (8 matches home and away against South Wales Scorpions, Gloucestershire AG, Oldham and Rochdale) and Southern Premier League.

#109 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Fair wasn't sure what was happening with Southern Premier League but makes sense to keep it another year til they expand Conference League South? Or longer if the Bedfords and Southamptons of the world want to keep it as a stepping stone?

Are Skolars not running U20 this year then?

Edited by bowes, 19 January 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#110 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

The 6 clubs are:
Bristol Sonics
St Albans Centurions
Nottingham Outlaws
Northampton Demons
Leicester Storm
Sheffield Hallam Eagles

Apparently 4 sides have made expressions of interest to join in 2014. I believe these would create a more South East aligned league. I'm not aware of if Premier South will still run at tier 4 or not.

I believe it'll be 2 in 2014 and 2 in 2015

A bit short of numbers but very encouraging nonetheless. I really hope these clubs are sustainable at this level, and don't succumb to the great folding virus.
To add to the 'Southern League' on a gradual basis, as and when the clubs are strong enough to be ready, would seem the sensible thing to do.
I really hope the clubs that have taken this courageous get all the support and backup the need and deserve.

And I suppose Sheffield is "the south" in rugby league terms. :)

I was told that two teams would be considered/are considering for next season and two in 2015. The thinking behind it is they want to give the 'unsure' clubs time to realise what stepping up entails and find out what its all about, and to that end they are holding a meeting on 22nd of June (I think) when reps from the six current teams and interested parties from teams considering the league will come together and discuss the good points and bad points of the current season with the RFL, and the 'outside clubs' can ask questions etc. It seems they want 'solid' clubs to come into the NCL South, clubs that will stay the course.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#111 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I suppose if they do it that way it means they can keep lower structures intact and promote a couple of clubs from lower down as replacement each year as well.

#112 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I was told that two teams would be considered/are considering for next season and two in 2015. The thinking behind it is they want to give the 'unsure' clubs time to realise what stepping up entails and find out what its all about, and to that end they are holding a meeting on 22nd of June (I think) when reps from the six current teams and interested parties from teams considering the league will come together and discuss the good points and bad points of the current season with the RFL, and the 'outside clubs' can ask questions etc. It seems they want 'solid' clubs to come into the NCL South, clubs that will stay the course.

It is absolutely crucial that, this time, clubs are not elevated too soon. They have to be completely aware of what is required at this level and what standards have to be maintained. Completely agree with this approach, even if it means a small competition at this stage.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#113 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,064 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

It is absolutely crucial that, this time, clubs are not elevated too soon. They have to be completely aware of what is required at this level and what standards have to be maintained. Completely agree with this approach, even if it means a small competition at this stage.

The 4 other sides are already good enough and we could easily have a 10 team Conference South now but the problem is the RFL couldn't afford travel subsidies so 4 out of the 5 applicants based in the territory of the tier 4 premier south pulled out to form an equal standard league with less travelling a division below. They realistically need to persuade at least 2 other clubs to join them for a season.

Basically means we end up with 2 leagues of 6 rather than 1 of 10 because of funding cuts.

#114 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Out of interest what kind of figure would a club need to cover travel? I guess its better staying small for now instead of the risk of things folding or not turning up

#115 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

dpends on what club but i d wager travel bill for bristol must be circa 5k

#116 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Out of interest what kind of figure would a club need to cover travel? I guess its better staying small for now instead of the risk of things folding or not turning up

A coach for the day costs about £450 regardless of the distance.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#117 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Did the meeting go ahead on the 22nd July - would be interested to see what teams are interested in the Southern Conference for 2014?

Thoughts now that we are half way through the season? 

#118 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Did the meeting go ahead on the 22nd July - would be interested to see what teams are interested in the Southern Conference for 2014?

Thoughts now that we are half way through the season? 

I assume you mean June!

http://www.totalrl.c...-for-ncl-south/

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#119 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

Sorry Yes June.

I saw that thread but there was no info from people who were there, or possible clubs be included.

If Rhinos, Hemel A, Skolars A move it could decemate the London Premier comp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users