Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

cricket declared

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Cooke's second innings was admirable, but this feels like it's going to be a long tour.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

You've lost me now.

I just wanted to say that with so many issues and different perspectives, I assume any captain's decision can be blamed in hindsight.

#23 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Not even in hindsight. There are always opinions offered at the time as to whether the captain should have declared earlier or even later. The same with the follow-on, should it be enforced or not?

#24 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

All these things are new to me and really interesting, but I've watched a full T20 match and it looked like a different sport. Just big hits and not much to think about.

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,155 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

It is a different sport. That's not a bad thing just that I would not want T20 to be the only form of cricket played. It is exciting but it's more one-dimensional.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

India 212:6 - this is a bit of all right! B)

Mind you, England haven't batted yet. :unsure:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hey, we're good at Cricket again! B)

#28 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Great win, but it will be interesting to see if they change the team for the next test.

I think the Sword of Damocles is hanging over:-

- Jonathan Trott. I bet he wishes he had agreed to open the batting when they asked him. Ian Bell's a better bet to perform against quality spinners.

- Stuart Broad. Not used in the second innings. On current form, Tim Bresnan can bat better than him and bowl better than him.

I think they'll get one more chance. Trott, at least, deserves one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Apparently, we've never won a Test Match before with Swann and Panesar both playing.

#30 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

Next pitch will be different. We lulled them into preparing a real ripping turner and proved we have better spinners than they do (when we pick them) - that won't happen again.

Expect Calcutta to be flat and slow. Hope we win the toss and get 500-600.

Trott will stay in. Bell may replace Patel - unless they feel they need a part time spinner on a flat track.

Finn should come in if he's fit, and I would keep both spinners. England like 6 batsmen and I can't see them risking Prior at 6. If England had a high class all rounder who could bat in the top 6 and bowl first change they would be a great side. As it is we have to go with 4 bowlers and if one of them is not firing we are in trouble.

On another note, the Aussie bowling attack looks fairly toothless which is good news for next year. We just have to hope Clarke's form is temporary. Somebody said that Australia's first innings was like the Monty Python Brontosaurus - thin and both ends and very thick in the middle.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#31 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Bell may replace Patel - unless they feel they need a part time spinner on a flat track.

Pietersen can do that job if required
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#32 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

What a turnaround. I didn't think they were capable. But thanks to Monty, KP, Cook and Swann, we did it.

The others, meh.

Broad should not be playing. He's been in desperately poor form for too long. Must be dropped for Finn (or even Brezzy). I hate it when some players get that golden-boy protected status unmerited.

Compton can stay but needs an innings.

Trott has the quality to play his way out of his bad ....err... trot.

JB was unlucky, he can stay but needs a knock.

There is no way on God's green earth that Bell should be let back in the side. He's been woeful against spin for far too long.

As for Patel, he offers precisely nothing. No runs, and what's the point of being a third spinner if you never take a wicket? Stick Morgan in there, at least he might get a few runs.

A Fev Blog

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

India 273 for 7 after the first day. Good work, although we still don't know if Bell's got his batting mojo back yet.

#34 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Broad's gone thank goodness, his form is hot, and he's been pinching a salary. Needs to put some honest graft in.
Patel's a lucky boy.
Bell's a very very lucky boy and has it all to prove.
I'd've had Root and Bairstow/Bresnan in there.

A Fev Blog

#35 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Broad's gone thank goodness, his form is hot, and he's been pinching a salary. Needs to put some honest graft in.
Patel's a lucky boy.
Bell's a very very lucky boy and has it all to prove.
I'd've had Root and Bairstow/Bresnan in there.

I meant "excrement" not "hot"

A Fev Blog

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

India 316 all out - England 208 for 1. Yet another century for Captain Cook. :)

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Just read on Twitter, and I don't know if it's true, but apparently "Alastair Cook is the second visiting batsman - after Everton Weekes - to score three consecutive centuries in three Tests on Indian soil."

#38 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Cook set a record for England Test Centuries (23) and beat Sachin Tendulkars record for being the youngest batsman to reach 7000 test runs

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ricket/20622025
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#39 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Youngest ever to 7000 runs - better than Tendulkar - record 23rd Test century for England, 5 centuries in 5 games as skipper etc.

Unless he's unlucky with injury or illness he'll smash all the England batting records.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#40 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Remarkable stuff from Cook. He's really carrying the batting. Tremendous effort.

A Fev Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users