Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

cricket declared

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Never mind the cricket. David Lloyd has just admitted that he's moved to a new home in Yorkshire.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#42 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,850 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHdMOPwKzQ

:lol:
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#44 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

End of Day 1 - England 199 for 5. A wobbly start, and Bell underwhelms yet again. We need a stubborn innings from Root and Prior tomorrow.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#45 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

This might turn out to be a good score on a strange wicket. Plaudits to KP for his knock. Picking Ian Bell has gone from being just wrong to outrageous to disgraceful and now finally to cruel. Just stop. AT least Patel got the flick. Nowhere near the standard.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#46 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

This might turn out to be a good score on a strange wicket. Plaudits to KP for his knock. Picking Ian Bell has gone from being just wrong to outrageous to disgraceful and now finally to cruel. Just stop. AT least Patel got the flick. Nowhere near the standard.

Don't worry, he'll score a beautiful century on a flat track in May and everything will be forgotten.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Picking Ian Bell has gone from being just wrong to outrageous to disgraceful and now finally to cruel.

14 runs in 5 innings. If they drop him, he can go home and spend time with his newborn, which would be a good thing for all concerned.

Good knock from Root, too, matching KP's score. And 56 for Swann. :)

India 60 for 2 now.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

Come on Jimmy! India 4 down and still over 250 behind. This session could seal it if we can get one or two more...

#49 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

The promoters must have been hoping Sachin would still be at the crease for tomorrow, to get the crowd numbers up.

#50 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

The promoters must have been hoping Sachin would still be at the crease for tomorrow, to get the crowd numbers up.

Lots of glum faces in the crowd when he got out. I actually feel a bit sorry for him now. He's a legend, but his powers are on the wane. All the papers out there are gunning for him, which is a massive turnaround, and he looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Surely he can't have much time left now, especially if India don't win this game.

As for England, looking good again. Not a huge score, but batting seems difficult so it could be handy. If we can skittle them for 250 or under, we'll have a decent chance of wrapping up a win… assuming we don't get out for next to nothing second time round.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#51 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Lots of glum faces in the crowd when he got out. I actually feel a bit sorry for him now. He's a legend, but his powers are on the wane. All the papers out there are gunning for him, which is a massive turnaround, and he looks like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Surely he can't have much time left now, especially if India don't win this game.

Yes. It's very very unfortunate but he's been taking the shine off a brilliant career for over a year now. It seems he can't or won't see it and no-one dare tell him. A real shame for an outstanding cricketer.

#52 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

Don't worry, he'll score a beautiful century on a flat track in May and everything will be forgotten.

<_< Quite.

#53 bobrock

bobrock
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

It seems to me english cricket fans can too easily switch from "we're rubbish" to "we're great", but I always wonder if that is because of their attitude or because english cricketers are actually unable to play consistently. This Test series in India doesn't help me to sort this out.

#54 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yes. It's very very unfortunate but he's been taking the shine off a brilliant career for over a year now. It seems he can't or won't see it and no-one dare tell him. A real shame for an outstanding cricketer.

I know. At least Ponting had the decency to realise his time was up. I remember seeing Sachin playing for India at Leeds in 1990, in his first ODI v India. He didn't make that many runs, but you could see his talent - he was only 17 (I think) at the time. He also played some wonderful innings for Yorkshire during the 1992 season, too.

There's no doubt that he's the greatest batsman I've seen play 'in the flesh', and certainly of my lifetime. It would have been nice for him to have ended it at his peak, rather than see his powers dwindle away as they have done over the last few years.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,554 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

It seems to me english cricket fans can too easily switch from "we're rubbish" to "we're great",

That's been the mindset of Welsh RU fans and journalists for the past fifty years ... it can often switch three times in a single game.
<_<

#56 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIHdMOPwKzQ

The thing about Boycs is that no matter how many stories you hear about him, he still has the power to amaze.

Unfortunately generally for the wrong reasons.

#57 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

It seems to me english cricket fans can too easily switch from "we're rubbish" to "we're great", but I always wonder if that is because of their attitude or because english cricketers are actually unable to play consistently. This Test series in India doesn't help me to sort this out.

Cricket is a funny game. It is not like rugby where the best side wins 95% of the time.

Team A can absolutely slaughter Team B to the point where it is just embarrassing even for fans of Team A.

In the very next match, Team B might do exactly the same to Team A.

This is why teams play a series of games rather just the one match. It is the only way to say which side is the best.

Plus England in living memory were absolutely abysmal, the equivalent of Scotland at rugby union, and yet only last year we were the top side in the world.

#58 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,342 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Another gripping day's test cricket. Those late wickets handed the momentum back to us after Dhoni and Kolhi had taken it slowly away. Great stuff.

#59 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,741 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

A long old slog, this last test. India's tactical choice of pitches has not paid off. Good to see Ian Bell getting some runs at last.

I reckon Sachin will stick at it 'til the forthcoming series with Australia, then knock Test-level Cricket on the head.

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,850 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

One of the most bizarre test matches I think I can remember but that's a tremendous series win for England. I think it ranks up there with any wins in Australia - especially coming back after *that* first test.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users