Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

MCGUIRE COMMITS TO NEW RHINOS DEAL

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

England international Danny McGuire, the leading try scorer in the Super League era, has signed a new contract with the reigning Super League and World Champions that will keep him at Headingley Carnegie at least until the end of the 2015 season.

McGuire, who won his sixth Super League Grand Final with the club last October, has just kicked off his testimonial year with the Rhinos having made his debut for the club back in 2001. His current contract was due to expire at the end of the 2013 season but this new deal extends that period.

Commenting on the new contract, the former East Leeds amateur said, “I am really pleased to get the contract agreed and signed before the start of pre-season. I can now fully focus on getting myself in the best possible shape for a massive season for the Rhinos and myself, with it being my testimonial year. I am feeling great at present, having had some time off at the end of the season, and I am raring to go for the start of pre-season training on Monday.

“We have got a massive year with the World Club Challenge against Melbourne at Headingley Carnegie first up and we all know that we need a big pre-season to get ready for that challenge. Last year’s game against Manly was one of the highlights of my career. To play the NRL Champions at our home ground was something special and I think this could be even bigger with Melbourne having people like Billy Slater and Cameron Smith in their side,” added McGuire.

McGuire surpassed Keith Senior last season to become the leading try scorer of all time in Super League and currently has 201 tries in league and play off games. He is fifth in the all time list of try scorers for Leeds in all competitions with 222 tries to his name, just six behind Drew Turnball. He added, “Leeds is my club and I am proud to have played my entire career for the Rhinos. We have had some great times in recent years but when you look at the young guys who are coming into the team you can see that there are definitely more special moments to come.”

Rhinos Head Coach Brian McDermott added, “Danny is a unique talent and we are very privileged to have him play his entire career at Leeds Rhinos. We all have been guilty over the years of perhaps taking him for granted in terms of what he does for this team because he performs at such a high level every time he steps onto the field. However, his value to this team is never underestimated and I am delighted he has agreed a contract extension.”

Phil Daly
Media and PR Manager

Phil Daly
Media and PR Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thats another nail in Leeds coffin.I keep getting informed that McGuire and a few other Leeds players are no good
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

It amazes me that he is not usually in the discussion when the Englland stand off position is mentioned. His strike rate for tries is amazing and England could definitely use atry scorer of his ability.

#4 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

I can now fully focus on getting myself in the best possible shape for a massive season for the Rhinos and myself, with it being my testimonial year. I am feeling great at present, having had some time off at the end of the season, and I am raring to go for the start of pre-season training on Monday.

“We have got a massive year with the World Club Challenge against Melbourne at Headingley Carnegie first up and we all know that we need a big pre-season to get ready for that challenge.

What's so massive about one game in week 3, a Challenge Cup semi final and a few fixtures in September?
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#5 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I can now fully focus on getting myself in the best possible shape for a massive season for the Rhinos and myself, with it being my testimonial year. I am feeling great at present, having had some time off at the end of the season, and I am raring to go for the start of pre-season training on Monday.

“We have got a massive year with the World Club Challenge against Melbourne at Headingley Carnegie first up and we all know that we need a big pre-season to get ready for that challenge.

What's so massive about one game in week 3, a Challenge Cup semi final and a few fixtures in September?

there the massive games the rest are just run of the mill games have some clubs not figured that out yet
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#6 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

It amazes me that he is not usually in the discussion when the Englland stand off position is mentioned. His strike rate for tries is amazing and England could definitely use atry scorer of his ability.

He had plenty of chances at Test level and was found wanting.

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

He has played 7 times for England scoring 4 tries.

He has played 12 times for GB scoring 5 tries.

Some of those appearances were as a substitiute so he didn't play the whole match but he has still scored 9 tries in 19 games. Like I said, a proven try scorer. If we play him, Hall and Tomkins that will be three strike players in the team. In my opinion we need him.

He has scored over 300 tries for Leeds. What more do you want ?

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

and here we go ha ha ha :lol:
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:58 AM

He has played 7 times for England scoring 4 tries.

He has played 12 times for GB scoring 5 tries.

Some of those appearances were as a substitiute so he didn't play the whole match but he has still scored 9 tries in 19 games. Like I said, a proven try scorer. If we play him, Hall and Tomkins that will be three strike players in the team. In my opinion we need him.

He has scored over 300 tries for Leeds. What more do you want ?

A player that could defend a bit would have helped, he was a turnstyle.
He was targeted in defence by Australia because he panicked when ever they came his way, Rabbits in the spotlight will always be noted at Test level.
He plays in a position that has not been easy to find candidates, why has he not been picked for three years in your opinion?

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 November 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#10 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

He was targeted in defence by Australia because he panicked when ever they came his way, Rabbits in the spotlight will always be noted at Test level.
He plays in a position that has not been easy to find candidates, why has he not been picked for three years in your opinion?

Injured at the time of selection maybe?

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Well, he wrecked his cruciate ligament ( defending if I remember) and that takes a year to come back from and then further time to get back to form and match fitness. Then we have Macnamara as coach who wanted Sinfield at stand off for his kicking game. I would play them both and have Sinfield at loose forward or even hooker where he played his best football in an England shirt. Halfbacks have not always been noted for their defence. Hardisty. Murphy, Millward did their stints but weren't expected to tackle a whole lot.

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Trophies,my good man,trophies.
That is all.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#13 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Indeed
www.twitter.com/flyingking2