TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

manchester rugby club 1960 - not a merger thread

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Reading the Salford web site I came across the interesting fact that Salford and Swinton fans demonstrated against a Manchester rugby league side being set up in 1960/1. There doesn't seem to be the suggestion that this was a merged side and yet why else would they have been so vehemently against it?

Another oddity Salford Reds were a baseball side in the 1950s. Nothing unusual there as a few clubs shared grounds with baseball clubs back then but this was AFAIK by Salford and had Salford players playing in it. Odd that the Salford Reds name came from baseball! These Americanisms taking over our sport!

Does anyone know anything more about either venture?

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Reading the Salford web site I came across the interesting fact that Salford and Swinton fans demonstrated against a Manchester rugby league side being set up in 1960/1. There doesn't seem to be the suggestion that this was a merged side and yet why else would they have been so vehemently against it?

Another oddity Salford Reds were a baseball side in the 1950s. Nothing unusual there as a few clubs shared grounds with baseball clubs back then but this was AFAIK by Salford and had Salford players playing in it. Odd that the Salford Reds name came from baseball! These Americanisms taking over our sport!

Does anyone know anything more about either venture?

Salford were the original "RED DEVILS"A name which Man united borrowed ,adopted,stole ,whatever.So I assume the baseball club incorperatet into there club name ,a thing that RL clubs didnt do at that time.Now our sport has started to market nick names like they do over there
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Salford were the original "RED DEVILS"A name which Man united borrowed ,adopted,stole ,whatever.So I assume the baseball club incorperatet into there club name ,a thing that RL clubs didnt do at that time.Now our sport has started to market nick names like they do over there

Unfortunately.

Most are frankly cringeworthy.

Back on topic - wasnt the Manchester team a combined Salford/Swinton rep team?

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

There was a Salford / Swinton "Manchester XIII" side that played New Zealand. Perhaps they were protesting at that rather than a new club.

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

There was a Salford / Swinton "Manchester XIII" side that played New Zealand. Perhaps they were protesting at that rather than a new club.

Widnes/Liverpool Xiii

Cas/Fev X111

Oldham/Rochdale x111

Fartown/Fax X111

Hull/HKRX111

Bramley/Leeds/hunsletX111

Last one has become permanent now :D

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Don't recall any protests at the time. ...but it was 52 years ago.There used to be a baseball ground on Bolton Road opposite Pendlebury market. In the early 60s used to watch Stretford Saints baseball in Longford Park.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

The Belgian national football team were (and are) the original Red Devils / Diables rouges.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,629 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Unfortunately.

Most are frankly cringeworthy.

Back on topic - wasnt the Manchester team a combined Salford/Swinton rep team?

agreed: I mean Hornets FFS, what sort of a monicker is that? When did you ever see a hornet flying around Rochdale. You might get the odd bored wasp in gregg's window.
And Rovers. I don't recall a pirate ship sailing down station lane Fev even after eight pints on a saturday night in the Central Club.

makes you sick.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

It was slightly different in that those nicknames / monikers tended to come about naturally e.g. Swinton Lions after the lions pub or the need to differentiate themselves from other sides like Rochdale FC / RFC (don't know which). They weren't created with the thought of flogging T-shirts or creating mascots. City Reds has that feel even if it was adopted in 1998.

I'm not against the SL style nicknames but most of them have little thought behind them, it is just a case of looking up a synonym for "soldier" or the name of a large animal. The best ones were those that came via fan polls.

No idea how Fev ended up as Rovers but I like it.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,629 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

It was slightly different in that those nicknames / monikers tended to come about naturally e.g. Swinton Lions after the lions pub or the need to differentiate themselves from other sides like Rochdale FC / RFC (don't know which). They weren't created with the thought of flogging T-shirts or creating mascots. City Reds has that feel even if it was adopted in 1998.

I'm not against the SL style nicknames but most of them have little thought behind them, it is just a case of looking up a synonym for "soldier" or the name of a large animal. The best ones were those that came via fan polls.

No idea how Fev ended up as Rovers but I like it.

swinton weren't officially called the Lons until post SL. Many club nicknames weren't or aren't official

I can only think of one synonym for 'soldier' in Sl and that's Wigan Warriors.

almost all apart from Wigan and Hudds-not sure about the Wolves, and maybe Wakefield who still use the name Trinity alongside Wildcats, although Wolves badge has a border of barbed wire, and rhinos is arguably the most successful of the lot alongside perhaps Bulls, have names relating to the culture and history of the area.

If Featherstone and Rochdale had only just decided to call themselves Rovers and Hiornets would they be criticised for it?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

swinton weren't officially called the Lons until post SL. Many club nicknames weren't or aren't official

I can only think of one synonym for 'soldier' in Sl and that's Wigan Warriors.

I'm not just talking about SL, the names go down into BARLA and RLC as well.

Think old school we have Centurions, Crusaders, Knights, Vikings. Maybe if we had just one side called "Centurions" or "Crusaders", it would be okay but we've far too many.

edit: and Barrow were Braves before becoming Raiders.

almost all apart from Wigan and Hudds-not sure about the Wolves, and maybe Wakefield who still use the name Trinity alongside Wildcats, although Wolves badge has a border of barbed wire, and rhinos is arguably the most successful of the lot alongside perhaps Bulls, have names relating to the culture and history of the area.

If Featherstone and Rochdale had only just decided to call themselves Rovers and Hiornets would they be criticised for it?

Probably.

Hudderfield's is one of the most gratuitous. They must have spent about 5 mins flicking through the NFL handbook before picking the name of the biggest, richest club.

I quite liked the Sharks epithet, shame the fans didn't.

Edited by Northern Sol, 18 November 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#12 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

'Wolves' is neither 'authentic' nor entirely manufactured. The wolf symbol started appearing on Warrington shirts in the early nineties, and was the wolf that featured in the middle of the town's coat of arms (which had previously appeared on some jerseys).

Posted Image

By the time of Super League, the Wolves had therefore become a natural choice, even though it had never been the team's nickname. I believe Paul Cullen, when he held a marketing role at the club, played a key role in kicking off the Wolves 'brand'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Interesting.

#14 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Back in the 60's Swinton were a power to be reckoned with and appeared in many finals and won many trophies but never the CC.
Salford were just second rate easybeats untill Brian Snape took over around 1968 and there were changes of Tsunami strength that swept Salford to the top of the tree and left Swinton as a very poor relative floundering on rocks from which they never recovered from,.

Edited by Latchford Locks, 18 November 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#15 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Are you sure that's a wolf on the badge, JB? (assume you're referring to the grey on black background).

I'd have thought that was a griffin.
People called Romans they go the house

#16 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Are you sure that's a wolf on the badge, JB? (assume you're referring to the grey on black background).

It is a wolf.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#17 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,860 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Yep, that's the one. I'd certainly concede to anyone with greater knowledge of these things than me, but the info I just found suggests it is a wolf and is taken from the (canting) arms of Hugh Lupus, the first Earl of Chester.

http://www.ngw.nl/in.../w/warringt.htm

#18 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yep, that's the one. I'd certainly concede to anyone with greater knowledge of these things than me, but the info I just found suggests it is a wolf and is taken from the (canting) arms of Hugh Lupus, the first Earl of Chester.

Fair enough, I'm not arguing - it looks like a 'mythical' drawing.

Maybe that's because, I would guess, that in 11c. Cheshire, the wolf was just as likely to make an appearance as a griffin.
People called Romans they go the house

#19 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

All the information(and more)is here at your fingertips relating to tours and the temporarily merged teams

http://www.rugbyleag...64/summary.html
It's a great new site

Edited by Latchford Locks, 18 November 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#20 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Given that lupus is the Latin for wolf (as I'm sure you're aware), I would imagine you're on the right lines.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users