RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

manchester rugby club 1960 - not a merger thread

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

with rugby league being a combative team sport it's reasonable to expect 'soldier type' soubriquets.
However, for instance Widnes was a Viking settlement. I think your defining of Vikings as 'soldiers' by the way is a little one dimensional-they were farmers and trtaders as well, but no matter. Widnes were originally going to be called the Giants because one of the tallest men to live in the UK was butied nearby, but Huddersfield beat them to it. Why is Giants inapproriate for Hudds, but Rovers ok for fev?

I can't see what your beef is

At leeds the club took a fans poll as to what nickname would be incorportated into the clubs name,and it was overwhelming vote for "LOINERS"which is a term for citizens of leeds,but the club said "well we cant really market loiner,like we can Rhino",Cant see what Rhino has got to do with Kirkstall road or Burley road,which is where most of the support for the club came from in the early 20th century.I think the reason for RHINO was because of the rivalry they had at that time with a very successful Bradford "BULLS"
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

At leeds the club took a fans poll as to what nickname would be incorportated into the clubs name,and it was overwhelming vote for "LOINERS"which is a term for citizens of leeds,but the club said "well we cant really market loiner,like we can Rhino",Cant see what Rhino has got to do with Kirkstall road or Burley road,which is where most of the support for the club came from in the early 20th century.I think the reason for RHINO was because of the rivalry they had at that time with a very successful Bradford "BULLS"

that's right: good for them.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#43 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

There are a few others I don't like.

each to their own

out of interest what are they?

"most of them have little thought behind them, it is just a case of looking up a synonym for "soldier" or the name of a large animal"

since this
we have narrowd it down to 'a few'

anyway those nicknames in full

Wigan Warriors: aggressive name, and is alliterative

St Helens-derived from name of town and dates before SL

Warrington Wolves: heritage related

Widnes Vikings: historical connection

Huddersfield Giants: denotes size, stature and power

Catleford Tigers: the team historically wear black and yellow hoops

Bradford Bulls: alliterative, powerful snorting beast

Leeds Rhinos, as above but no alliteration

London Broncos: historic association with Brisbane Broncos

Hull Kingston Rovers: dates pre SL

Hull FC: predates much of modern sport history

Salford City Reds: describes the team and refers to historic nickname

Catalan Dragons: historic connotations

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats: combination of historic name and marketing based name.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 November 2012 - 08:54 PM.

Keeping it local

#44 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

swinton weren't officially called the Lons until post SL. Many club nicknames weren't or aren't official

I can only think of one synonym for 'soldier' in Sl and that's Wigan Warriors.

almost all apart from Wigan and Hudds-not sure about the Wolves, and maybe Wakefield who still use the name Trinity alongside Wildcats, although Wolves badge has a border of barbed wire, and rhinos is arguably the most successful of the lot alongside perhaps Bulls, have names relating to the culture and history of the area.

If Featherstone and Rochdale had only just decided to call themselves Rovers and Hiornets would they be criticised for it?

Originally Wigan were Wigan Wasps playing in blue and white hoops :wacko:, the wasps name was adopted much later by the once very successful Wigan swimming club. Wigan were slow in adopting an official tag, for me they should have just gone for Wigan Rugby.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#45 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,597 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

each to their own

out of interest what are they?

I think Wigan could have done a lot better. Wigan had a very strong brand but Warriors is very common.

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Because it was first.

far from it.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#47 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

I know that but IIRC there was another Rochdale side which necessitated them calling themselves Rochdale X. And while there was no particular reason to choose Hornets, it wasn't done for commercial reasons.

I think most of us recognise the need for commercial interests in the game but they are a necessary evil.

On the whole I prefer names that say something about the club or area. The new clubs joining CC1 are All Golds (great name), Stags (fantastic) and err Oxford RLFC (boring).

Leeds Rhinos works very well as a device for flogging shirts but it's crass.

tell that to the kids in local primary schools and hospitals when Ronnie The Rhino turns up

Keeping it local

#48 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Originally Wigan were Wigan Wasps playing in blue and white hoops :wacko:, the wasps name was adopted much later by the once very successful Wigan swimming club. Wigan were slow in adopting an official tag, for me they should have just gone for Wigan Rugby.

I agree. Why does arguably the biggest rugby club in the UK need a moniker like Warriors? Bath RU are simply called Bath Rugby, so why cant Wigan do the same? Btw my own team Leigh will always be "Leigh Rugby" rather than the awful Cent-ur-io-ons 4 syllable nightmare we are seemingly stuck with.

I also really dislike Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. FFS just drop the Wildcats. Two nicknames is wrong (Salford City Reds is also near as bad for the same reason). Huddersfields is also garbage for reasons pointed out by others

#49 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I think Wigan could have done a lot better. Wigan had a very strong brand but Warriors is very common.

so we're down to one, sorry two including the rhinos, arguably the most successful one of the lot.

Keeping it local

#50 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

I agree. Why does arguably the biggest rugby club in the UK need a moniker like Warriors? Bath RU are simply called Bath Rugby, so why cant Wigan do the same? Btw my own team Leigh will always be "Leigh Rugby" rather than the awful Cent-ur-io-ons 4 syllable nightmare we are seemingly stuck with.

I also really dislike Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. FFS just drop the Wildcats. Two nicknames is wrong (Salford City Reds is also near as bad for the same reason). Huddersfields is also garbage for reasons pointed out by others

presumably Kingston Rovers is wrong as well. Two names and the same number of syllables as Centurions.

Keeping it local

#51 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,597 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

so we're down to one, sorry two including the rhinos, arguably the most successful one of the lot.

I don't like Crusaders as a name either whether London, Celtic or Thatto Heath.

#52 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,597 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

tell that to the kids in local primary schools and hospitals when Ronnie The Rhino turns up

I know they like, I just don't.

#53 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,597 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

far from it.

It was in the modern era.

Unless you count Huddersfield Barracudas but that got enough stick that it was changed.

#54 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

It was in the modern era.

Unless you count Huddersfield Barracudas but that got enough stick that it was changed.

So Huddersfield Barrucudas was earlier, by what definition is it not therefore earlier and therefore Cougars was not the first.

#55 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,617 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I know they like, I just don't.

Its not aimed at you.

#56 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,597 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

So Huddersfield Barrucudas was earlier, by what definition is it not therefore earlier and therefore Cougars was not the first.

It was the first of the era that we were discussing.

Otherwise Barracudas got more flak.

#57 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Don't recall any protests at the time. ...but it was 52 years ago.There used to be a baseball ground on Bolton Road opposite Pendlebury market. In the early 60s used to watch Stretford Saints baseball in Longford Park.

Don't recall any protests at the time. ...but it was 52 years ago.There used to be a baseball ground on Bolton Road opposite Pendlebury market. In the early 60s used to watch Stretford Saints baseball in Longford Park.

I played against Stretford Saints many times,they were one of the best teams in England in the 60's.
Gus Risman played for the Salford baseball team.
Freddie Miller played for the Hull pro baseball team.
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#58 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Freddie Miller played for the Hull pro baseball team.

Legend!!!

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#59 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,169 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.

I know not how to tell thee who I am.
My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself,
Because it is an enemy to thee.
Had I it written, I would tear the word.

#60 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

presumably Kingston Rovers is wrong as well. Two names and the same number of syllables as Centurions.

No Hull KR is not wrong.

Any moniker added many many years after a club formed is faux and unecessary in my opinion. Hull KR have always been called that, as have Rochdale Hornets. Certainly not gimmicks.

Also I dont think "Rovers" sounds Americanised - it certainly sounds British and authentic.

Finally I would argue that "Kingston" does not count a third moniker as the city is called Kingston Upon Hull.

We seem obsesssed with ridiculous Americanised nicknames yet football has it spot on and does more than okay without them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users