Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

manchester rugby club 1960 - not a merger thread

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

I know they like, I just don't.

has it occurred to you that it isn't for your benefi?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

No Hull KR is not wrong.

Any moniker added many many years after a club formed is faux and unecessary in my opinion. Hull KR have always been called that, as have Rochdale Hornets. Certainly not gimmicks.

Also I dont think "Rovers" sounds Americanised - it certainly sounds British and authentic.

Finally I would argue that "Kingston" does not count a third moniker as the city is called Kingston Upon Hull.

We seem obsesssed with ridiculous Americanised nicknames yet football has it spot on and does more than okay without them

the people obsessed are the ones who are whingeing about them.

Hull FC are in Kingston upon Huill, but are not called Kingston upon Hull FC, anyway Hull KT should surely by your definition bw Kingston upon Hull Rovers.

isn't 'Hornets' americanised(whatever that means)?

what on earth do you mean by faux?
Keeping it local

#63 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Here's some very old suffixes...

Excelsior, Rangers, Wanderers, Albion, Mountaineers, Recreation, Athletic, Albion, Trinity, Rifles, many church suffixes etc.

I have the impression that there was always a race to just have the name of the town/city as that may have been prestigious with other local clubs using suffixes to distinguish from the rest.

#64 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Excelsior, Rangers, Wanderers, Albion, Mountaineers, Recreation, Athletic, Albion, Trinity, Rifles, many church suffixes etc.

I have the impression that there was always a race to just have the name of the town/city as that may have been prestigious with other local clubs using suffixes to distinguish from the rest.

my granf dad played for purston white horse
Keeping it local

#65 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

The proposed Manchester RL side was planned for the White City Stadium - just up the road from Old Trafford if you're heading towards Manchester.
There were a few professional baseball leagues in the UK in the 1930's with quite a few teams in what is now Greater Manchester. Salford Reds were one of them - not sure about the 1950's, maybe they continued after the war as an amateur side or another team took on the same name. I think the 1930's Salford Reds played at the Willows (think I've got the info somewhere, will dig it out at some point),they may have been owned by the RL side.

#66 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I can confirm that the 1930's Salford Reds baseball club was owned by Salford RLFC and did play at the Willows. Several of the players were RL players and they drew crowds - at least in the first season of 1935 - over 3000. The semi-pro circuit lasted in England up until the outbreak of war, I'm not sure if Salford lasted to 1939 or not

#67 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Are you sure that's a wolf on the badge, JB? (assume you're referring to the grey on black background).

I'd have thought that was a griffin.

Never seen a hairy-nosed furry-eared griffin before

#68 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

has it occurred to you that it isn't for your benefi?

I am well aware of it. I am allowed my own opinion though.

#69 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

No, it is not. Names based on the colour of the shirt that the team wore e.g. tigers, wasps, harlequins, all blacks go back to the early 19th century in both codes of rugby and in soccer as well e.g. the hoops = QPR.

I don't remember any Warriors / Crusaders / Vikings / Braves in British sport until the Super League era.

That doesn't necessarily make them a bad thing but they are an import.

#70 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

That's about the strength of it. The strongest club in the city usually grabbed the [City Name] Football Club tag and other clubs had to make do with the name of a district or add a moniker like Rovers / City / United / Hornets.

#71 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

I agree. Why does arguably the biggest rugby club in the UK need a moniker like Warriors? Bath RU are simply called Bath Rugby, so why cant Wigan do the same?

Ironically Bath were Bath Football Club until the professional era but changed it as locals didn't understand the FC bit. Wigan were also FC until fairly recently,

#72 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

just being pedantic tather than adding to the discussion (but hey, this is the internet!) but there's a football team in Northern Ireland called Crusaders (est.1898).
ps - whilst checking when they were formed I noted that they're nicknamed 'the hatchetmen'. A team from Belfast with a nickname like that, worrying ;-)

#73 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ironically Bath were Bath Football Club until the professional era but changed it as locals didn't understand the FC bit. Wigan were also FC until fairly recently,

Northampton and, I think, Bristol did the same.

The Willows used to have a big sign saying Salford Football Club.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#74 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I am well aware of it. I am allowed my own opinion though.

you sure are

what is wrong with the rhinos?

it's a massive success as part of the club's commercial, marketing, public relations and community work.

what other option is there that would do a better job?

it isn't aimed at your sensibilities.
Keeping it local

#75 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

No, it is not. Names based on the colour of the shirt that the team wore e.g. tigers, wasps, harlequins, all blacks go back to the early 19th century in both codes of rugby and in soccer as well e.g. the hoops = QPR.

I don't remember any Warriors / Crusaders / Vikings / Braves in British sport until the Super League era.

That doesn't necessarily make them a bad thing but they are an import.

saracens
Workington zebras
Leicester Tigers
Hull Seahawks
Scarborough Pirates

and many more
Keeping it local

#76 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

saracens
Workington zebras
Leicester Tigers
Hull Seahawks
Scarborough Pirates

and many more

Tigers are named after the shirt, not the fact that "Tigers are hard".

Saracen means "Arab".

Zebra I would imagine refers to the shirt as Zebras aren't a dangerous animal.

It's only Pirates that has a semblance of the SL era and they didn't predate SL by much.

#77 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

you sure are

what is wrong with the rhinos?

it's a massive success as part of the club's commercial, marketing, public relations and community work.

what other option is there that would do a better job?

it isn't aimed at your sensibilities.

I get it but it's a crass commercial name that just happens to be successful. Constantly reminding me that it is successful doesn't make it any less crass.

Taking a loan sharks money to sponsor a shirt on the other hand seems crass to you even if it brings in the cash.

Edited by Northern Sol, 19 November 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#78 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Never seen a hairy-nosed furry-eared griffin before

Haven't you seen Darrell Griffin play? :)

#79 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Tigers are named after the shirt, not the fact that "Tigers are hard".

Saracen means "Arab".

Zebra I would imagine refers to the shirt as Zebras aren't a dangerous animal.

It's only Pirates that has a semblance of the SL era and they didn't predate SL by much.

their colours are red white and green
They were named after a local army regiment

zebras are big animals
Keeping it local

#80 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

There are different theories as to where Tigers comes from. When you described Leicester's kit, you didn't mention stripes.

Zebras run away at the first sign of a predator, it is hardly a bit of macho boasting about how hard you are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users