Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

new kit

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

i would like something similar to the bath rufc shirt, ( if we can't have the butchers apron)
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#22 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Think its better than last seasons home shirt, I go along with the Fax thing though, apart from finishing top when was the last time we won a compatition without our original Blue and Whites ?

Gosh, that's taking superstition a bit too far.

Apparently, Wednesdayites think it's unlucky to have a white stripe in the middle of the jersey ....... :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#23 NTC

NTC
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Quite like the design. Been a traditionalist I like the butchers apron shirts but this is nice for a change and is fresh looking. However, really don't like the collar/lack of collar. Its just not a rugby shirt without one! I know there are on field reasons but even the open rounded (button up) front of the striped shirt from two seasons ago was more like a rugby shirt to me.

Overall the shirt in general looks good though. Well done

#24 sharloRover

sharloRover
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

As a fev fan I alway like Sharlston to keep close to Fevs colours instead of Wakey. We ordered a new kit few weeks ago for Yorkshire cup final (sat 29th Dec at fev) and I cant believe how similar our's is to the new fev one!

Posted Image

#25 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,090 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

As a fev fan I alway like Sharlston to keep close to Fevs colours instead of Wakey. We ordered a new kit few weeks ago for Yorkshire cup final (sat 29th Dec at fev) and I cant believe how similar our's is to the new fev one!

Posted Image

my word, you couldn't have got much closer if you had a sneak preview lol
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#26 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

It is Fax like, but it ours, at least its not amber and black.

Cummins Out.

#27 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Least we arent wearing nappies ;)

#28 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Gosh, that's taking superstition a bit too far.

Apparently, Wednesdayites think it's unlucky to have a white stripe in the middle of the jersey ....... :lol:

They just have a terrible manager.

Cummins Out.

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Least we arent wearing nappies ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#30 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Posted Image

Reight shirts are them.

#31 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I too think the shirt too closely resembles a Fax shirt, although it's an improvement on last years "swirly" effort.

It seems the common consensus that home shirts need to be changed dramatically each season to ensure fans buy the latest design. Has this been proven? Has anyone told St Helens who have the red vee every year?

IMO keeping your shirts identity helps build the clubs brand and profile. A lot of RL fans (especially the older ones) associate Fev with the Butchers Apron stripes. Is it really too hard to tweak the classic shirt a bit each year

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#32 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Yes

Please explain how you would tweak the "butchers apron" style blue and white hoops every year? Especially to justify a £45 price tag

Edited by elppaxr2i, 19 December 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#33 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

I quite like this years kit.....as previously said somewhere we have had even sized hoops in the past and as long as it's navy and white i'm happy. The early 90s beazer homes/copy consultants group kit was navy with a lot of white and that was cool even though nothing really like our traditional butchers stripes.

I do think fev should always have navy and white hoops in some form or another for our home kit and use the away kit to experiment a bit. I didn't get last years home shirt cos i felt it looked nothing like a fev shirt.

It's also worth pointing out that you don't need to change the design much if the sponsors change as depending what they look like they can make the shirt look completely different. I think Probiz looks quite good and compliments our shirt design and colours.

As mentioned above the saints shirts only seem to change slightly but they seem to have a different large logo in the middle every year with immediately gives the design a fresh look.

Hopefully we'll have Probiz's backing for the next few years as in my opinion the main sponsor can ruin a shirt design. If for example we had one of the sleeve sponsors as a main sponsor in the middle the shirt it would look completely different and a lot worse.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

#34 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Noticed, especially in the amateur game, that with each season, clashes of colours and styles is becoming more common. Are we running out of ideas?.

#35 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Yes

Please explain how you would tweak the "butchers apron" style blue and white hoops every year? Especially to justify a £45 price tag

I'm no fashion designer, but I don't think it would take much imagination to slightly change the butchers stripe kit every year. Of the top of my head:
  • Butchers stripe shirt with white panel down side.
  • shirt with white sleeves
  • shirt with solid dark blue back
  • shirt with large white square on back for number
  • shirt for 3/4 length with vertical stripes below.
  • shirt with pin striping over shoulders.
As long as you look at the shirt and instantly recognise it as a Featherstone top. Looking at football they seem to have it about right. Do Liverpool ever go away from a plain red shirt, Chelsea from a blue one? They wouldn't even consider it, as it is part of the identity of the club.

Edited by Railway End, 20 December 2012 - 05:40 PM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

#36 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,524 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm no fashion designer, but I don't think it would take much imagination to slightly change the butchers stripe kit every year. Of the top of my head:

• Butchers stripe shirt with white panel down side.
  • shirt with white sleeves
  • shirt with solid dark blue back
  • shirt with large white square on back for number
  • shirt for 3/4 length with vertical stripes below.
  • shirt with pin striping over shoulders.
As long as you look at the shirt and instantly recognise it as a Featherstone top. Looking at football they seem to have it about right. Do Liverpool ever go away from a plain red shirt, Chelsea from a blue one? They wouldn't even consider it, as it is part of the identity of the club.

+1

A Fev Blog

#37 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

Our fanbase is nowhere near as big as a football teams and neither are we worldwide supported like those two teams mentioned - the club has to make money somewhere from our small (in comparison to football) fanbase and changing the shirt design every season makes sense or else people wouldnt bother buying a shirt every year

In football you see numerous hundreds of people wearing older shirt designs from years gone by as it looks similar to the current product on offer minor teaks here and there take place and maybe a sponsor change but overall a similar design

We cant afford to have hundreds of people not buying the latest shirt like football probably can the money is simply not there like it is in football

If we re-design it people will buy it

Edited by elppaxr2i, 20 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#38 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Our fanbase is nowhere near as big as a football teams and neither are we worldwide supported like those two teams mentioned - the club has to make money somewhere from our small (in comparison to football) fanbase and changing the shirt design every season makes sense or else people wouldnt bother buying a shirt every year

In football you see numerous hundreds of people wearing older shirt designs from years gone by as it looks similar to the current product on offer minor teaks here and there take place and maybe a sponsor change but overall a similar design

We cant afford to have hundreds of people not buying the latest shirt like football probably can the money is simply not there like it is in football

If we re-design it people will buy it

A fair point well made.

Does the club have any evidence though that the people who buy a shirt every season would stop doing so if a "tweaked butchers shirt" was the option every Christmas. I would bet that the majority who buy a shirt religiously each season would continue to do so, whilst the ones who receive a shirt as a Christmas present would continue to do so as well.

On the other hand you have fans like myself. I have bought 3 shirts in the last 9 or 10 seasons. These shirts were what I would call a "Fev shirt", the ones that RL fans know are Featherstone without the need to have a close up look at the club badge., The other ones I have not invested in looked suspiciously like something Fax, Barrow or Swinton might turn up in. That's probably over £200 the club have missed out on

Is the ratio of people wearing old shirts to new shirts any different in football to rugby league? I'm not sure but when I watch football most seem to have the latest shirt on. To some people having the latest shirt makes them believe they are a better, more loyal fan to their team (my nephew certainly thinks like that about Leeds Utd).

You may be right that changing the design of the shirt each year increases revenue. I would just be interested to know if any research was done on the subject. I just feel we are continually missing a trick to build on the clubs tradition and identity.

#39 ben+olis dad

ben+olis dad
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

Attached File  apron.jpg   49.25KB   8 downloadsjust to point out this is a butchers apron a "traditional" Featherstone shirt has thin white hoops on a blue background (or red if you liked the 1989 changed kit)

Edited by ben+olis dad, 20 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#40 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

In the NFL a lot of teams play a game or two each year in "throwback uniforms", I wonder if that's a situation we could explore, picking a couple of games to play in the butcher's apron each year (especially if the option were available to bring it out for big occasions like the big Cup games last season or the Grand Final if we made it). The issue of course would be you would need a new butcher's apron shirt each year to have the current sponsors featured on it, and therefore more expense, but maybe those expenses could be offset by having replicas of those jerseys on sale as well as the "regular" home and away jerseys, most fans surely wouldn't feel obliged to buy a new butcher's shirt every year but you'd have a small turnover of those jerseys at least. Plus we'd have the possible psychological advantage when the players run out for a big game in the throwback butcher's shirt.