RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

new kit

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

In the NFL a lot of teams play a game or two each year in "throwback uniforms", I wonder if that's a situation we could explore, picking a couple of games to play in the butcher's apron each year (especially if the option were available to bring it out for big occasions like the big Cup games last season or the Grand Final if we made it). The issue of course would be you would need a new butcher's apron shirt each year to have the current sponsors featured on it, and therefore more expense, but maybe those expenses could be offset by having replicas of those jerseys on sale as well as the "regular" home and away jerseys, most fans surely wouldn't feel obliged to buy a new butcher's shirt every year but you'd have a small turnover of those jerseys at least. Plus we'd have the possible psychological advantage when the players run out for a big game in the throwback butcher's shirt.

The NRL have a heritage round of fixtures and have done for years. Were Rovers to do this, strictly speaking we wouldn't go back to the butcher's apron, we'd go back to chococlate & white hoops, or even further back plain white shirts. They were our kits before we started with blue & white.

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#42 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

The NRL have a heritage round of fixtures and have done for years. Were Rovers to do this, strictly speaking we wouldn't go back to the butcher's apron, we'd go back to chococlate & white hoops, or even further back plain white shirts. They were our kits before we started with blue & white.

Yes I know but I was suggesting this as a way of balancing the perceived need for a new strip each year with the feelings of those supporters hankering after the butcher's jerseys of our glory years. I doubt there are many Rovers fans who are desperate to see them in chocolate and white.

#43 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,101 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yes I know but I was suggesting this as a way of balancing the perceived need for a new strip each year with the feelings of those supporters hankering after the butcher's jerseys of our glory years. I doubt there are many Rovers fans who are desperate to see them in chocolate and white.

Yeah, me too. Was just a bit of a joke about the old chocolate & white shirt, although it did sell reasonably well when they did a retro version a year or two back.

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#44 carlbd9016

carlbd9016
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I think the issue will probably be cost, its all well and good for NFL/NRL teams to produce limited runs but I am sure macron will have minimum quantities of shirts that we would need to purchase?

#45 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I think that the years we move away from the traditional kit, we should issue a retro kit to sell along side the seasons home shirt.

Everybody wins... if production costs are reasonable.

Cummins Out.

#46 1945etseq

1945etseq
  • Players
  • 96 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

A few comments from a supporter whose memory is fading rapidly. We are not copying anybody with this design. It is retro in that the Rovers played in a similar style from about 1938 to the 1950's. I saw the Rovers in these colours many times but cannot remember. Why was the design changed? I have no idea but the reference to "butcher's apron" makes me wonder if it was something to do with Asquith's butchers long connection with the Rovers. The original blue was royal blue which I liked better that the change to navy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users