Monday night summer games to be shown again

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Can i not just put forward my opinion without you having to finalise everything, i can have a moan if i like, its a forum, if i want to complain i will, and i have asked for a refund, on principal rather than for the cash, and i know i wont get it, but surely i can state my opinion on this forum without you taking the tone of "oh stop moaning, you knew it would happen". Yes i did, but that still doesnt make it right. If everyone accepted everything that wasnt right the world would never change

No one has stopped you from airing your view but why complain about something that you knew was going to happen?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

Or as i see it, why not have an opinion on something i see is wrong. Do you sit back and agree with everything? I know my bills will rise, i know the BBC is wasting my license fee, etc but i can still complain about it, maybe if everyone who wasnt happy complained something might get done, or maybe not, but if we all just sit here accepting everything thats thrown at us then we're just a bunch of bl00dy sheep

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Or as i see it, why not have an opinion on something i see is wrong. Do you sit back and agree with everything? I know my bills will rise, i know the BBC is wasting my license fee, etc but i can still complain about it, maybe if everyone who wasnt happy complained something might get done, or maybe not, but if we all just sit here accepting everything thats thrown at us then we're just a bunch of bl00dy sheep

No I don't but I know that some things are inevitable and unavoidable and complaining rarely achieves anything when dealing with large corporations.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#24 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Cant hurt though

#25 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Would it not make sense to wait to see the fixture list before purchasing/renewing a season ticket if there are days you are unavailable to attend matches?

Thats not having a go, but Leeds for example next year play home games on a thurs, fri, sat, sun and mon. Last year we played about 3 or 4 games on a monday home and away, so the potential for any team to do this is high.

Sky wont give any money back, youd be far more likely to get a refund from Wigan.

#26 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

i dont really want the money back, i certainly wouldnt take it from wigan, its more to register my dissatisfaction. As for the season ticket, wigan, and i assume most clubs, offer cheaper renewal prices if you renew by a certain date, which i did, and is before the next seasons fixtures come out

#27 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Lots of interesting things from this column: Monday night games will continue to be shown on Sky during the summer.

Great. At the time of year I can actually do the Saturday games they move them to bloody Monday.

just a pity SKY haven't updated their commentary team.. another year with the gruesome twosome it seems ..

What? They've hired Tyldesley and Townsend???

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#28 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

i dont really want the money back, i certainly wouldnt take it from wigan, its more to register my dissatisfaction. As for the season ticket, wigan, and i assume most clubs, offer cheaper renewal prices if you renew by a certain date, which i did, and is before the next seasons fixtures come out

I don't really agree with much of your complaint tbh, but this point is definitely relevant.

I don;t think clubs should be able to have their early-bird deadlines before the fixtures are announced.

#29 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I don't really agree with much of your complaint tbh, but this point is definitely relevant.

I don;t think clubs should be able to have their early-bird deadlines before the fixtures are announced.

Agree with that, just looked at Wigans and their early bird offer expired the day the fixtures came out! Thats way too early and should really be taken up with Wigan. Most other clubs im aware of have a deadline of either 1st December or around the first week in December.

They shouldn't ask people to commit to season tickets before they even know if they can attend enough games to make it worthwhile!

#30 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Not happy about this at all. I renewed my season ticket this and last season on the understanding wigans home games would be in the majority on a friday night, occasionally sunday if the latics get in the way. I work late monday and its a hell of a job for me to get to the games and also arrange childcare. Why do we have to mess about just because SKY have nothing else to show during the summer. It sure isnt my fault yet i suffer. Admittedly everyone knows the fixtures could be moved, but this is pointless imo, purely for SKYs benefit and no help to any rugby league supporter.

I've put a request in to Red Hall on your behalf, I've asked that before any fixtures are agreed in future they MUST consult with you to ensure it fits in with your shift patterns.

I'm sure they will be most obliging, after all nobody else is ever inconvenienced by different or changed match days. Ever thought that if its on the day you want that that may be a day someone else doesn't want.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#31 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I've put a request in to Red Hall on your behalf, I've asked that before any fixtures are agreed in future they MUST consult with you to ensure it fits in with your shift patterns.

I'm sure they will be most obliging, after all nobody else is ever inconvenienced by different or changed match days. Ever thought that if its on the day you want that that may be a day someone else doesn't want.

Comedy Gold!! :rolleyes:

That point would stand if the fixtures were constantly moving and changing, but since wigan moved their home games to a friday night many years ago, the vast majority have been on said day, any changes to a saturday night for SKY are accepted as the norm, and are few and far between. I think it would be fair as a wigan fan to assume the home fixtures will be on a friday night, occasionally saturday, both well known to fans over many years and for the majority (not all, i appreciate people working weekends) are relatively easy to attend.

Compare that to now moving to a monday, when most (not all) people have work and kids have school the next day, unlike the friday and saturday games, which are easier to attend. It isnt just me, and childish comments like Red Hall will consult with me first just make you look like and idiot. Is it easier for you to try and make someone look stupid than put together a relevant argument? It affects many people and is clear to see which are easier to attend for most people. Yes, either way there will always be some people who cant make the games, but my daughter also has a season ticket, and i dont mind her staying up late on a friday to attend as she can sleep in the next day if she needs, but if she has to be up at 7am to get to school on a tuesday morning, thats a different story.

#32 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Comedy Gold!! :rolleyes:

That point would stand if the fixtures were constantly moving and changing, but since wigan moved their home games to a friday night many years ago, the vast majority have been on said day, any changes to a saturday night for SKY are accepted as the norm, and are few and far between. I think it would be fair as a wigan fan to assume the home fixtures will be on a friday night, occasionally saturday, both well known to fans over many years and for the majority (not all, i appreciate people working weekends) are relatively easy to attend.

Compare that to now moving to a monday, when most (not all) people have work and kids have school the next day, unlike the friday and saturday games, which are easier to attend. It isnt just me, and childish comments like Red Hall will consult with me first just make you look like and idiot. Is it easier for you to try and make someone look stupid than put together a relevant argument? It affects many people and is clear to see which are easier to attend for most people. Yes, either way there will always be some people who cant make the games, but my daughter also has a season ticket, and i dont mind her staying up late on a friday to attend as she can sleep in the next day if she needs, but if she has to be up at 7am to get to school on a tuesday morning, thats a different story.

I think the main problem is the early bird deadline being so early.

This problem would have been avoided if you'd had another week or so to look at the fixtures and decide if it was worth it
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#33 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

I think the main problem is the early bird deadline being so early.

This problem would have been avoided if you'd had another week or so to look at the fixtures and decide if it was worth it

Tbh my problem is more with the monday night games at all, obviously i'd be gutted to miss a game having bought a season ticket for it, but i'd be gutted to miss one even if i hadnt bought a season ticket and just couldnt go. As i said above, it seems to me mondays are harder to attend for the majority than friday or saturday, especially for younger children. I just dont like SKY messing around with our sport purely as they have nothing to show at that time of year as the football season has finished.

#34 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Tbh my problem is more with the monday night games at all, obviously i'd be gutted to miss a game having bought a season ticket for it, but i'd be gutted to miss one even if i hadnt bought a season ticket and just couldnt go. As i said above, it seems to me mondays are harder to attend for the majority than friday or saturday, especially for younger children. I just dont like SKY messing around with our sport purely as they have nothing to show at that time of year as the football season has finished.

Living outside the heartlands, I struggle to get to any Friday matches, and definately can't get to any Monday matches, but at least they're televised so I can watch the Leeds matches at home (I know this doesn't suit people that are working etc). Even the Sunday matches are a bit inconvenient for me!

And I don't know how they've done it, but Leeds have managed to make the only game they play locally to me on a Monday night as well!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#35 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Its a big deal to me, and I paid upfront for a certain amount of of games, why shouldnt I be able to attend them, will SKY be refunding me a percentage of my season ticket price for those I now cant attend, no, of course not

Just to be clear, how many of the no Wigan home games on a Monday night have devalued your season ticket?

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Sky TV are a TV company - they pay us millions and millions of pounds to fill their TV schedule.

They are not 'messing around with our sport purely as they have nothing to show' - they are meeting their business needs, whilst also pushing our sport hard. The vast majority of people have seen this as a real positive move, although there will always be some who this adversely affects.

#37 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Did anyone ever look at the attendances for the Monday night games last year? How did they stack up with previous years matches between the same teams?

Without any facts at all (its the best way to argue a point!) I seem to think that the actual attendances weren't that different to usual, which suggests it doesnt affect the numbers going to a game, even if it may mean some people are unable to attend.

Also not sure how the viewing figures looked either compared to the saturday night games they replaced. Have to say that i liked watching the monday night games on tv, but attending them made the week longer after a late night monday!!

#38 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Just to be clear, how many of the no Wigan home games on a Monday night have devalued your season ticket?

All of them :D

However wigan v widnes was on a monday night 25/6/12 this season, so move that up to 1!

Edited by SirRadlinski, 20 November 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#39 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,713 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

To be fair the Monday matches on Sky are now "the norm", and that should be factored in with what went on this season. I do sympathise with your plight - in fact I'm releaved Bradford have got away without a Monday match for a second year running (at least one not on a Bank Holiday) because I probably couldn't make it if there was one.

Sky really couldn't be making it easier though by announcing every Monday game so far out (months to make plans/book time off if needs be and your workplace allows), when they could be left with a few duffers at the expence of better matches going untelevised on in any particular round as the business end of the season approaches.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#40 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Sky TV are a TV company - they pay us millions and millions of pounds to fill their TV schedule.

They are not 'messing around with our sport purely as they have nothing to show' - they are meeting their business needs, whilst also pushing our sport hard. The vast majority of people have seen this as a real positive move, although there will always be some who this adversely affects.

Well i'm not convinced, that statement seems like opinion disguised as fact to me. They sure arent moving the schedule for rugby leagues benefit, as you say they are a business and are therefore doing it for their own needs first and foremost, though as you also point out they pay millions for the privilege of doing so. Southstander is right, i dont know what the affect on viewing figures has been but i would have thought saturday night was a great slot for RL, many people at home to watch on tv, evening kick off so families can still have a large chunk of their day to do family stuff before attending/watching the game, and even those on a night out could catch the game in a bar somewhere, possibly attracting new fans. Monday night , everyone has work/school the next day, kids at home may have homework or have to go to bed earlier so less likely to watch, i'd suggest theres nowhere near as many people out likely to catch it on in a pub, it seems only ready made rugby league fans will be watching or attending.

I really dont see how this is seen as a positive move, i'm not saying im right, but i really dont see it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users