Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Monday night summer games to be shown again

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

To be fair the Monday matches on Sky are now "the norm", and that should be factored in with what went on this season. I do sympathise with your plight - in fact I'm releaved Bradford have got away without a Monday match for a second year running (at least one not on a Bank Holiday) because I probably couldn't make it if there was one.

Sky really couldn't be making it easier though by announcing every Monday game so far out (months to make plans/book time off if needs be and your workplace allows), when they could be left with a few duffers at the expence of better matches going untelevised on in any particular round as the business end of the season approaches.

I agree they are the norm in that its the second season, and it looks like they are here to stay, but they are still only from the end of may to the start of august, which is backs up what i said about it being because the football isnt on. It wont be the "norm" unless they are prepared to do it for the full season, and if its such a great idea and good for rugby league, and SKY arent doing it just for themselves then why dont they do that?

You are spot on though about the early release of the fixtures, that is definitely a good move by SKY, very helpful, although those who cant attend still cant attend but like you say at least some can make plans early

#42 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Living outside the heartlands, I struggle to get to any Friday matches, and definately can't get to any Monday matches, but at least they're televised so I can watch the Leeds matches at home (I know this doesn't suit people that are working etc). Even the Sunday matches are a bit inconvenient for me!

And I don't know how they've done it, but Leeds have managed to make the only game they play locally to me on a Monday night as well!

Sods bl00dy law! :rolleyes: :D

#43 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well i'm not convinced, that statement seems like opinion disguised as fact to me. They sure arent moving the schedule for rugby leagues benefit, as you say they are a business and are therefore doing it for their own needs first and foremost, though as you also point out they pay millions for the privilege of doing so. Southstander is right, i dont know what the affect on viewing figures has been but i would have thought saturday night was a great slot for RL, many people at home to watch on tv, evening kick off so families can still have a large chunk of their day to do family stuff before attending/watching the game, and even those on a night out could catch the game in a bar somewhere, possibly attracting new fans. Monday night , everyone has work/school the next day, kids at home may have homework or have to go to bed earlier so less likely to watch, i'd suggest theres nowhere near as many people out likely to catch it on in a pub, it seems only ready made rugby league fans will be watching or attending.

I really dont see how this is seen as a positive move, i'm not saying im right, but i really dont see it

I actually disagree in regards to saturday nights, i often found that I missed saturday games on tv as I was doing one thing or another, so for me as a tv viewer i actually prefer monday nights as usually I am free to watch the game.

As i mentioned earlier, I wasnt too keen on attending the monday night games just because of work the next day, I still went but did find myself a bit less productive for a couple of days after!!

#44 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

i'd suggest theres nowhere near as many people out likely to catch it on in a pub, it seems only ready made rugby league fans will be watching or attending.

I really dont see how this is seen as a positive move, i'm not saying im right, but i really dont see it

When it was first announced, I would have agreed with you there, but at my place of work there's a few people who just happened to catch it on Sky on a Monday night, and loved it! Really looking forward to it starting up again this year.

I guess some people go out to the pub (or trendy bars without sports on) on a Friday/Saturday night so never really get to see it
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#45 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

I actually disagree in regards to saturday nights, i often found that I missed saturday games on tv as I was doing one thing or another, so for me as a tv viewer i actually prefer monday nights as usually I am free to watch the game.

As i mentioned earlier, I wasnt too keen on attending the monday night games just because of work the next day, I still went but did find myself a bit less productive for a couple of days after!!

I like the Saturday night matches. I'd tent to hang around at the clubhouse after a St Albans home game and watch the match with the lads.

Sods bl00dy law! :rolleyes: :D

I'm not complaining too much though, it's about as expensive and the same length of time for me to get to Twickenham as it does to get to Headingley! I need to save money for the RLWC anyway so was planning on cutting down on SL matches next year anyway
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#46 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

For the early bird offer, Wakey's finished end of October, way before the fixtures came out and we still shipped over 4,000 of them. Personally I like the Monday night rugby. Nice to come home form work and watch a match on the TV or live, and it free's up Saturdays.

Always winners and losers, but I think generally it's been a positive.

#47 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,094 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I agree they are the norm in that its the second season, and it looks like they are here to stay, but they are still only from the end of may to the start of august, which is backs up what i said about it being because the football isnt on. It wont be the "norm" unless they are prepared to do it for the full season, and if its such a great idea and good for rugby league, and SKY arent doing it just for themselves then why dont they do that?

You are spot on though about the early release of the fixtures, that is definitely a good move by SKY, very helpful, although those who cant attend still cant attend but like you say at least some can make plans early

Have you ever bought a product or service and asked for delivery on a specific day, its no different with Sky and RL than it is with Joe Bloggs buying a fridge or getting an enginner out to fix his washing machine.

The RFL are in the business of selling a product, RL games. Sky are the customer who pay a substantial amount for the RL product, they want that product delivering on a certain day. If the RFL don't want to deliver on that day there are plenty of other sports providers willing to sell Sky their product.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#48 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I enjoy MNF as I can sit down at home and concentrate on the game. As others have said Saturday nights were awkward sometimes with family commitments or only half watching the game in the pub.

I'm just hoping they consider letting Bill Arthur or Rod Studd do the Monday commentary so I can watch with the sound on.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users