Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ground improvements

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone know exactly what is happening with the ground improvements at DP? Have they started and if so what exactly do you get for nearly half a million these days? I heard about new seats, a scoreboard, and some drainage. But is that it or will there be summat in the pot left for other improvements?
As a popular side dweller I'd like a rough n ready bar make over with a window in as I always miss summat when I'm in there! Lol.
Seriously though are there any other improvements on the horizon for next year?
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#2 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

I think theres new changing rooms turnstiles amd toliets

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

A general cosmetic spruce up all round to would be nice to give it all a fresher tidier look , but that's right about budgets with builders and the like and what you get for your dough !!! It's positive stuff though whatever .

Edited by DavidM, 19 November 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#4 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 852 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Dont know what were getting for nearly half a million exactly, but I know work has started as the old seats are out so far. The scratching shed roof must be getting some work done to it I would have thought, and I agree the bar facilities could do with a make over.

#5 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

We really need the drainage sorted as the speedway track is higher than the pitch. When we get a lot of rain it just runs on the pitch that has just happened in the last couple of years.

#6 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Apparently ther is a balcony going on the popularside... thats what one of the fella who videos the games said..

Edited by Cato89, 19 November 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

For WC games they'll need to be proper tv facilities .

#8 TOWN TILL I DIE

TOWN TILL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

http://www.newsandst...ath=home/2.1962

A Workington construction firm has been awarded the contract for the £400,000 revamp of the town’s rugby stadium ahead of the Rugby League World Cup.

Stobbarts Ltd was due to begin work on Derwent Park this week with the project expected to be completed before the start of the regular season in February.

The ground, which is home to Workington Town and speedway, will host two Rugby League World Cup in 2013.

They will be Scotland’s two group games against Tonga on Tuesday, October 29 and against Italy on Sunday, November 3.

John Stobbart, the firm’s managing director, said: “I’m pleased we have got it and looking forward to working with the directors of Workington Town the ground up to a standard for the forthcoming games

“We are trying to do the most of the work in the close season so it doesn’t effect the league games which start in February/March.

“A substantial amount of work needs to be carried out. At the back end of the season we will go back down [to the ground] and put things in place that are critical for the stageing [of the World Cup Games].”

He added: “As well as being beneficial for everybody for the World Cup it is also beneficial for Town going into the new season.”

The work will include improvements to “key areas” of the ground.

It will include structural refurbishment of the popular side of the ground; new seating in the grandstand; new floodlights; and “dramatic improvements” to the playing surface.

A media box for TV crews, drugs testing facilities and an electronic scoreboard will also be installed.

Dave Bowden, chairman of Workington Town RLFC, said: “These improvements will not only improve the World Cup spectator experience but will have a lasting legacy to be used for years to come. We are also delighted that, following a comprehensive tendering process, the work on the ground will be carried out by a local construction company in Stobbarts, who have already demonstrated tremendous enthusiasm for the project. The decision to award the World Cup to Workington is already benefiting the local economy.”

Stobbarts will be using local subcontractors for the bulk of the work and expects that the job will create up to 30 local jobs certainly for the next three to four months.

But the firm will also need help from groundwork, steelwork, scaffolding and painting sub contractors.

A very small portion of the work will be handled by subcontractors from outside the area including the work involving the new scoreboard.

And Britain’s Energy Coast has officially approved the £350,000 grant award for the ground using resources from its nuclear funding partners.

Allerdale council has also agreed to underwrite £50,000 of the anticipated total cost of £400,000.

The award has now been confirmed after the BEC Board approved a detailed application from the club.

Britain’s Energy Coast had originally ring-fenced the money back in the summer.

Rt Hon Brian Wilson, chairman of Britain’s Energy Coast, said: “I, like so many others, will be looking forward to West Cumbria putting on a great show on the global sporting stage.

“I also welcome the fact that there will be on-going benefit to Workington RLFC and that this will allow them to build a legacy for the wider community.”

#9 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I'm not being judgemental on what gets done I just wondered what we were getting for the money. Any work the old lass gets will be all the sweeter as it's mainly money that was earmarked for the wreck!! :D
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I wonder if changes to the playing surface will include lengthening the playing area like top grounds? Would we have space for 100 metres that the WC players will be used to

Edited by DavidM, 19 November 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#11 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Town Till I Die.

#12 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm not being judgemental on what gets done I just wondered what we were getting for the money. Any work the old lass gets will be all the sweeter as it's mainly money that was earmarked for the wreck!! :D

That lot down the road would have already wasted most of it by bringing in "consultants" to oversee the project!

I noticed Stobbarts were down at the ground last week.
"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Apparently ther is a balcony going on the popularside... thats what one of the fella who videos the games said..

That'll be for us to sit with our feet up and a glass of nice red wine, Cato89. :D

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

That'll be for us to sit with our feet up and a glass of nice red wine, Cato89. :D

Hah cant wait Keith!! :lol:

#15 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 593 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

New roof on popside as well

#16 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yes Keith and its all inclusive.

#17 Nero

Nero
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

Could we have somewhere that sells Haighs meat & tatie pies & Oxo? Cold lager outside in October..........................

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

The new roof will make a big difference, glad to hear that . How much more for a big windbreak all round the town end !! But don't tamper with the burger van !

Edited by DavidM, 20 November 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#19 ChunkyOnion

ChunkyOnion
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Could we have somewhere that sells Haighs meat & tatie pies & Oxo? Cold lager outside in October..........................

How about a wooden hut outside the main stand in the car park...?
Surf dudes with attitudes, (Kinda groovy), Laid back moods. Sky above, sand below (Good vibrations), Feelin' mellow. Won't give it up, Don't wanna stop....Don't wake me up, Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin', California dreams, Just let me lay here in the sun, Until my dream is done

#20 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

How about a wooden hut outside the main stand in the car park...?

It used to be at the town end before the speedway started, just inside the turnstiles. Made lovely ham sandwiches as I recall and sold Haigh's pies.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users