RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge now banned in Australia and NZ

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Link: http://www.nrl.com/c...16/default.aspx
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Watch them whine like female dogs when one happens in the World Cup.
People called Romans they go the house

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

been all over twitter this morning.. mixed reactions, though most that i saw were against banning the shoulder charge. And i have to agree.

and as someone also mentioned on twitter.. different rules will be in place for the world cup, where shoulder charges will be legal.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 20 November 2012 - 09:29 AM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

If the NRL want shoulder charges banned in international rules then shoulder charges will be banned in international rules.
- Severus, July 2012

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

just noticed on that link the NRL are trying to get other countries to follow suit..

Typical NRL attitude. Make a decision on something that would affect the whole game of RL, and then ask others to follow suit.. where was the conversation with the other countries prior to making the decision?.. RFL should not follow suit!!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

just noticed on that link the NRL are trying to get other countries to follow suit..

Typical NRL attitude. Make a decision on something that would affect the whole game of RL, and then ask others to follow suit.. where was the conversation with the other countries prior to making the decision?.. RFL should not follow suit!!

It's already banned domestically by the NZRL.

So that's 2 out of 3 of the major players wanting it gone.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

define "shoulder charge" ??

Posted Image

that type of shoulder charge,the type that you use when trying to break down a door,should be banned...not got a problem in that..

but this type of hit,by simon dwyer on JWH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ILh-w5LPYo
Posted Image

dwyer is square on,arms out ready to "action the tackle"..then boom......perfectly fine big hit...imo....

Edited by roughyedspud, 20 November 2012 - 11:44 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 641 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

The more people want to keep the Shoulder charge in the UK the greater the chance the RFL will ban it.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Watch them whine like female dogs when one happens in the World Cup.

Did a Dingo eat your Baby?
Were you knocked back on your application to emigrate?

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Maybe...
The authorities do not want as many head injuries as there are, trying to attract Mum's & Dads to get their kids to play the game.
Those kids will decide if this game goes forward or withers on the Vine.

Its a big issue in Australia relating to Juniors coming through, the world is not what it was 30 years ago.

Edited by AndyCapp, 20 November 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#11 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Wonder how the rule would be interpreted if the shoulder of a player taking the ball up connects with the head of a player attempting to make a tackle.. potentially the same outcome, a player knocked out or concussed. What the Aussie's refer to as a "Don't argue".

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

I have no fixed views on the shoulder charge, I can see both sides of the argument. Good ones are spectacular, all too often they are bad and dangerous.

What I totally and utterly disagree with is having three sets of rules for one sport. The UK/RFL rules, the NRL rules and the International Rules. It's stupid.

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#13 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Did a Dingo eat your Baby?
Were you knocked back on your application to emigrate?

Not at all. Both of my babies are fine (or they were when I dropped them at school this morning) and I have never applied to emigrate.

I think Australia is a fine country and full of many good people. The only downside that I can recognise is their inability to recognise 'sport'. It's all too serious, they try to engineer unfair advantages and they whine when things don't go their way.

As problems go, it isn't a big one, except when discussing sport, of course.
People called Romans they go the house

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Shoulder charges cover up poor tackling technique.Agree with MrPosh,the Aussies will whine like f##k it isn't banned internationally.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#15 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

What I totally and utterly disagree with is having three sets of rules for one sport. The UK/RFL rules, the NRL rules and the International Rules. It's stupid.

Thats my major major gripe about our sport. It should be one set of rules, policed by an international body made up of delegates from all countries. Perhaps the RLIF needs to grow a pair!

#16 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

define "shoulder charge" ??

Posted Image

that type of shoulder charge,the type that you use when trying to break down a door,should be banned...not got a problem in that..

but this type of hit,by simon dwyer on JWH

Posted Image

dwyer is square on,arms out ready to "action the tackle"..then boom......perfectly fine big hit...imo....

I think Mr Spud has it spot on.

#17 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

They are trying to introduce one set of rules worldwide. This would do away with the NRL style, SL style and Intnl Rules.
Hopefully they will have the one set of rules for next season so that everyone will have played a year and be familiar with them when we go into the World Cup.
I would like to have kept the shoulder charge but if having one set of rules mean abolishing it then it is a price worth paying.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Both are obscene hits to the head. Would be happy to see the players who do it serve lengthy bans.
- Severus, July 2012

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hopefully they will have the one set of rules for next season

Start holding your breath........

Buy the official Rovers 2013 Yearbook, out now!!!  ;)

http://feathers.rlstore.co.uk/product/2013YEARBOOK

#20 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Not at all. Both of my babies are fine (or they were when I dropped them at school this morning) and I have never applied to emigrate.

I think Australia is a fine country and full of many good people. The only downside that I can recognise is their inability to recognise 'sport'. It's all too serious, they try to engineer unfair advantages and they whine when things don't go their way.

As problems go, it isn't a big one, except when discussing sport, of course.

You whine about everything Australian regardless if its good or bad, you always have a snide comment.
You see your comments about Australians whining when it does not go their way? do you ever think on the other side of the coin Aussies feel that way in reverse?
Its called home bias.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users