Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge now banned in Australia and NZ

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Rugby union already have this in place I think the rule says if you dont attempt to rap ur arms around the player then its classed as a shoulder charge, didnt sonny bill get sin binned in his 1st union game for this offence?
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#42 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,884 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

As long as it doesn't make contact with the head there isn't anything wrong with it.

#43 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I completely agree with Keithley about the rule changes.

As far as shoulder charges go, I love them. They are a brilliant aspect of the game that offers as much excitement as a brilliant step or a sprint race down the wing, you can't argue with the fact that a big shoulder charge (which nearly all big hits are, right?) looks amazing on highlight reels and gives our game a truly gladiatorial feel that you just don't get from other sports.

It should be irrelevant weather high tackles are committed by shoulder or arm, either way shows a lack of discipline or poor technique.

RL is always going to be a more dangerous game to play than most, just because of its physical nature. If shoulder charges add a noticeable increase in danger on top of everything the game already throws at players, then there is certainly an issue to discuss.

#44 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Quick scan of Twitter suggests that the players are vehemently against this. Let's hope the RFL stay strong and this nonsense is quickly reversed by the Aussies.

#45 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Quick scan of Twitter suggests that the players are vehemently against this. Let's hope the RFL stay strong and this nonsense is quickly reversed by the Aussies.

No, we'll follow suit, just like the nonsense with the corner flags

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#46 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

The point is though it shouldn't be Australia's call to make.

#47 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Set of suits who are clueless and have no idea make yet another dumb decision! There is nothing wrong with a legal Shoulder charge. Well done in upsetting a large majority of fans, players and coaches. Instead of banning the shoulder charge ban grapple tackles, headlocks and other wrestling moves which are just as dangerous if not more so. Rugby League used to be known as the toughest team game in the world-now its just gone soft and the over reaction by the clowns in suits will see it weaken against AFL in Australia. And what a joke the game is when we have so many different rules and interpretation and the RLIF do nothing and any rule changes are made by domestic representatives and not the International Federation.

#48 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

http://www.foxsports...u-1226462929640

#49 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

It's never been the same since the stopped players being able to kick an opponents shins.

#50 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I thought the definition of a shoulder charge was two players running in the same direction were allowed to use their shoulders to barge the other player off his running line?
I can understand that using the shoulder when running in the opposite direction can cause problems, but surely we lose something from the game if the shoulder barge is outlawed.
I'm not too au fait with association football rules these days but when I played in the 60's it was still allowed in soccer. Is it still?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#51 fatboystu

fatboystu
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Whilst I enjoy a legal shoulder-charge - I don;t have to be on the end of them!

If the experts (players, coaches etc) are recommending that these be banned (and they have some science behind the decision) then who am I to argue?

well i'm a player and i say keep the shoulder charge. i've used it and been on the end of a hell of a lot of them, they really don't bother me.

#52 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/arl-commission-consults-with-english-officials-in-bid-to-have-united-front-on-shoulder-charge/story-e6frf3ou-1226462929640

consultation? They taking the ######, fait accompli is not consultation by bluddy definition
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#53 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Rugby Union has this rule and all it means is you need to make an attempt to tackle using your arms. Shoulder charges are risky if not dangerous, more often than not involving a forearm or elbow. The game would be better without it.

#54 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Going back a few decades a head high tackle generally meant an eight match ban. Nowadays you can re-arrange somebody's face and only get a 3 three game suspension (e.g Rangi Chase on Tangi Ropati earlier this year). Maybe if more draconian punishments were handed out to any form of head high tackle players would concentrate on their tackle technique and they would be less at risk from head injuries.

Taking it one step further, why not say if a player attacks somebodies head with any kind of tackle where his arms do not attempt to wrap around the body, its an automatic 12 match ban.

Don't outlaw the shoulder charge, just severely punish them if they go wrong.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

If the experts (players, coaches etc) are recommending that these be banned (and they have some science behind the decision) then who am I to argue?

Except they aren't. The ARL or whatever it is called put the matter out to consultation but hardly any clubs replied so they banned it anyway. From the report I saw, the players weren't consulted at all.

To me this decision should have been taken solely on the say-so of the players - and only the players. It is they who put on the shot and who take the shot. They should decide. No hits to the head is fair enough; a tough game is one thing, overtly putting lives at risk is something else entirely (and I would be far tougher with hits to the head than the RFL is: swinging arms, tackles, everything would equal a straight red in my book if it hit the head).

But a shoulder charge well done is a sight to behold and although we don't see many of them, when they are done well they are fabulous to watch and really get the crowd going.

#56 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Going back a few decades a head high tackle generally meant an eight match ban. Nowadays you can re-arrange somebody's face and only get a 3 three game suspension (e.g Rangi Chase on Tangi Ropati earlier this year). Maybe if more draconian punishments were handed out to any form of head high tackle players would concentrate on their tackle technique and they would be less at risk from head injuries.

Taking it one step further, why not say if a player attacks somebodies head with any kind of tackle where his arms do not attempt to wrap around the body, its an automatic 12 match ban.

Don't outlaw the shoulder charge, just severely punish them if they go wrong.

Bang on!

If you use the arm then it's not really a shoulder charge. Ban aspects like using the foream, like Sam Burgess does. Don't ban the shoulder charge. Doesn't matter if it's played at 100mph, if you are not 100% sure they aren't' falling into it and you're not sure you can make clear contact between the lower chest and the clavical then its not on.

Edited by HappyDave, 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://www.foxsports...u-1226462929640

The RFL doesn't have an iota of independent thinking ability in its collective skull. We must follow the Australians wherever they go. How weak.

#58 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

Not right fussed, you can still put a huge hit on with a shoulder ban in place. Rather see a tackler trying to get control of an opponent instead of putting his shoulder out to run into.

Cummins Out.

#59 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

well i'm a player and i say keep the shoulder charge. i've used it and been on the end of a hell of a lot of them, they really don't bother me.

I use to love using the shoulder charge! It's one of the reasons I preferred playing league to union. Some people need to realise that an effective shoulder charge does actually require technique and timing, and you don't need to be a man-mountain to perform one. Those recent newsworthy shoulder charges (in Aus only) that have been aimed at the head are in my books, a high tackle and it should simply be a red card offence. Secondly a player could be cited and banned post match if an official misses the high shot during the game. Last season we had no issues in Super League with repetitive illegal shoulder charges....Aus needs to clean their game up by sending people off for high shots to the head (be it with an arm or shoulder). The only shot I recall from last season was Chase's illegal elbow against Featherstone.

Keep the shoulder charge!! It's as much as a part of the game as the 40:20, play-the-ball or the 10 metre rules!

#60 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Keep the shoulder charge!! It's as much as a part of the game as the 40:20, play-the-ball or the 10 metre rules!

Well the Aussie idiots ruining the game made up a report and said " The report shows the Shoulder charge is not a significant part of the game and its removal is unlikely to have any major impact on the game". Clearly clueless and have no idea on the impact a shoulder charge can have. It can change a game and a great shot is appreciated and wanted by both players and fans. Robbie Farah the Wests Hooker said "Your own teammates get a massive lift after a shoulder charge". It makes you wonder who exactly made up this report except for a couple of doctors who have over reacted like Nathan Gibbs. It seems nobody has asked the players or even the coaches as the way to go on shoulder charges.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 20 November 2012 - 08:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users