Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shoulder charge now banned in Australia and NZ

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#61 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

We saw far too many 'shoulder charges' in 2012 where fans sought to defend blatant attacks to the head. Kylie 'not that sort of player' Leuluai was one of the worst culprits, but there were high-profile examples from many teams.

For that reason I'm fairly sympathetic towards an attempt to regulate shoulder charges, although I think an outright ban is a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater somewhat. I can live with it though.

What really concerns me is the Australian arrogance involved in this. Once again they've made a unilateral decision on the laws of the game and they'll expect everyone else to follow. Sadly they probably will.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#62 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

An enthusiast for the shoulder charge in his game for Saints has tweeted a few tweets against banning it:

Si@ Soliol@@kidceezar
2500th Tweet goes to @ShoulderCharge Give the people n players what they wanna see. AND I WANNA SEE S.B.W GO BOOM

If most players want it to remain, why ban it?

#63 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

They shouldn't be allowed to change rules without RLIF approval. Their approach is wrong. We should defo not change any of our rules, if anything it helps us to play International Rules and let them play whatever ....... they are sooooo insular!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Dont ru play with different rules in different comps at times?

#65 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

We saw far too many 'shoulder charges' in 2012 where fans sought to defend blatant attacks to the head. Kylie 'not that sort of player' Leuluai was one of the worst culprits, but there were high-profile examples from many teams.

He shouldn't have gone for it as Hodgson was falling/too low to the ground due to his footwork but Kylie Leuluai's Hit on Hodgson wasn't head high. Only Warrington fans claim it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfOfEw7vq4

Edited by HappyDave, 20 November 2012 - 10:51 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#66 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

I use to love using the shoulder charge! It's one of the reasons I preferred playing league to union. Some people need to realise that an effective shoulder charge does actually require technique and timing, and you don't need to be a man-mountain to perform one. Those recent newsworthy shoulder charges (in Aus only) that have been aimed at the head are in my books, a high tackle and it should simply be a red card offence. Secondly a player could be cited and banned post match if an official misses the high shot during the game. Last season we had no issues in Super League with repetitive illegal shoulder charges....Aus needs to clean their game up by sending people off for high shots to the head (be it with an arm or shoulder). The only shot I recall from last season was Chase's illegal elbow against Featherstone.

Keep the shoulder charge!! It's as much as a part of the game as the 40:20, play-the-ball or the 10 metre rules!

Actually I would argue that a 10m rule is not a strong "part of the game" and in fact is a good reason why the shoulder charge is being banned. A 10m rule allows more time for defenders to race in with much more momentum on a shoulder charge making it more dangerous.

Lets get rid of the 10m rule (to a 5-7m rule) and retain the showder charge

#67 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

And if memory serves, the Aussies were the key force behind getting shut of the 10m rule and proper scrums.

We'll be playing 10 a side cocky rusty in a few years if they carry on the way theyre heading

#68 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Not seen a single player in favor of this so far. Watching Tommy cream players twice his size was a treat at the pie dome and always got fans out their seats.

Maybe it was a clause in $BW's contract, god knows there were plenty of shoulders coming his way.

#69 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

When I go to a game I like to see teams at full strength, if possible, it's a good thing it's been banned.No good players getting injured in a unexpected shoulder charge.No sense in that.

Edited by frank, 21 November 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#70 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

When I go to a game I like to see teams at full strength, if possible, it's a good thing it's been banned.No good players getting injured in a unexpected shoulder charge.No sense in that.

How many players have been injured by a shoulder charge in last 5 years who have gone on to miss games?

#71 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

How many players have been injured by a shoulder charge in last 5 years who have gone on to miss games?

Have you ever been on the end of one?Obviously you don't watch the game from your comments.

#72 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

An enthusiast for the shoulder charge in his game for Saints has tweeted a few tweets against banning it:

Si@ Soliol@@kidceezar
2500th Tweet goes to ������@ShoulderCharge ������ Give the people n players what they wanna see. AND I WANNA SEE S.B.W GO BOOM

If most players want it to remain, why ban it?

and sia was on the receiving end of one of the biggest shoulder charges ever seen....

as for kylie hit on hodgson.....perfectly fine...and its not a shoulder charge either...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#73 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Dont ru play with different rules in different comps at times?

Good question - they had the experimental laws in some merit tables for a while.

If ckn hasn't lost the will to live by now he could perhaps enlighten us.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#74 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Only Warrington fans claim it was.

This London fan thinks it was too.
- Severus, July 2012

#75 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Have you ever been on the end of one?Obviously you don't watch the game from your comments.

Yes many a time. So how many players injured?

#76 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,528 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

Tangi Ropati missed about four months (15 games IIRC) this season after a "shoulder charge" from Chase which got him a 3 match ban.

Your comment is stupid. Players are injured by them. One ended Ian Lucas's career.

A Fev Blog

#77 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

rangi doing it "right"

rangi doing it "wrong"

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#78 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

.... edited

Edited by gingerjon, 21 November 2012 - 10:34 AM.

- Severus, July 2012

#79 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

ranges first tackle above is great, he attempted to use his arms, which would be fine after a rule changa probably. second clip is just being a dirty b@5tard.
personally I liked it when head shots were allowed, however, I believe it was the right decision to ban them due to safety issues. I think the same is true of shoulder charges

#80 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,181 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

This London fan thinks it was too.

Unfortunately, as is often the way here, your opinion is dictated by who you support and we all get ring-fenced.