Shoulder charge now banned in Australia and NZ

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Concussions and head injuries are no rare thing in ice hockey for any type of player, not just enforcers. In the last couple of years there have been a few notable cases of players going down with serious concussions (some of which have yet to be recovered from and could well be career ending) from hits which haven't been considered to be that bad. Headshots are a regular occurrence and are often viewed as acceptable, and I'm not aware of any plans to outlaw them. As much as I enjoy the game I can't understand this, it's asking for trouble.

I'm not in favour of banning the shoulder charge in Rugby League but can appreciate why they would take this step as the lack of control involved means that some will inevitably go astray and make high contact. Personally I agree with those suggesting that they remain legal but with heavy punishments for those which hit the head. That would dissuade players from attempting them recklessly yet allow spectacular legal big hits to the body to remain.

#122 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

But contact to the head is already banned. Are the forces from shoulder charges that excessive compared to more standard tackling techniques?

According to the commission they are and players are more likely to end up with a serious injury.

#123 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

10.6G as opposed to about 6G
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#124 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

But contact to the head is already banned. Are the forces from shoulder charges that excessive compared to more standard tackling techniques?

And comparing it to hockey is slightly unfair as you're effectively comparing it to bare knuckle boxing. Did I read somewhere that the NHL are clamping down on fights?

You missed my point... That was my point. The idiot journo speaking about 'clones' and 'litigation' completely failedd to understand the reason for brain injuries (CTE?) in North American sport.

Concussions and head injuries are no rare thing in ice hockey for any type of player, not just enforcers. In the last couple of years there have been a few notable cases of players going down with serious concussions (some of which have yet to be recovered from and could well be career ending) from hits which haven't been considered to be that bad. Headshots are a regular occurrence and are often viewed as acceptable, and I'm not aware of any plans to outlaw them. As much as I enjoy the game I can't understand this, it's asking for trouble.

I'm not in favour of banning the shoulder charge in Rugby League but can appreciate why they would take this step as the lack of control involved means that some will inevitably go astray and make high contact. Personally I agree with those suggesting that they remain legal but with heavy punishments for those which hit the head. That would dissuade players from attempting them recklessly yet allow spectacular legal big hits to the body to remain.

I didn't know that about Ice Hockey as I don't watch it but your post is spot on. As I said earlier in this thread I'd go as far as a 10 - 12 game ban for a malicious front of forearm, elbow or shoulder shot to the head.

Edited by HappyDave, 23 November 2012 - 11:59 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#125 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

According to the commission they are and players are more likely to end up with a serious injury.

Ahh okay.I'm not going to argue against player welfare, just sad to see them go. Is there any chance you have a link to the study? I'm curious as to how they worked it.

You missed my point... That was my point. The idiot journo speaking about 'clones' and 'litigation' completely failedd to understand the reason for brain injuries (CTE?) in North American sport.

I see, my bad.

#126 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I see, my bad.

No worries.

The problem seems to be mentality. A few 'legal' charges knock players out but people in fighting sports get knocked out all the time. Modern sports medics these days are fantastic and a credit to their profession, however I'd say if a team doctor does not retire a K.O.'d player for at least 10 - 15 to fully ensure they're not concusded, I'd fine the club for lack of duty of care. Actual injuries appear to occur from recklessness and thuggery. I appears to be a mentality thing as we see far fewest 'Big Hits' in SL and fewer injuries from the reckless ones.

I like watching Sam Burgess 'Big Hits' on YouTube but I think his swinging the arm up to knock the opposing player further back seems pretty reckless, as it could contact with the head, as Alibert mistakenly though Meli's 'Big Hit' had done the season just gone.

Edited by HappyDave, 23 November 2012 - 01:25 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#127 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Double post.

Edited by HappyDave, 23 November 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#128 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Sonny bill was sin binned on debut for this trademark tackle n now were banning it aswel, im against the ban!
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#129 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

About 90% of these tackles will not be aloud next year and off the top of my head none of these lead to injury, I think Marcus Bia was the only one that didnt get straight up n play the ball n he was fine ok shacken but fine.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

#130 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

I counted 15 tackles here that would be banned next year n 1 of them was an attacker shoulder charging the defender (Ingles on Sandow)
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

#131 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Something I never liked with shoulder charges in the NRL (seeing as they're no longer legal I'll use the past tense) was the afters, no need for it. What I mean by that was; flopping/diving with all their weight on to the player/putting the shoulder into them when they're on the floor, just because the tackle wasn't't complete, like Sandow did in his 'best' shoulder charge. Plus a few players and their teammates did in the best of 2012 compilation above.

#132 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

The ARLC have gone way over the top with this and have managed to alienate the fans, players and coaches. Nobody wants to see players knocked out- but to ban ALL shoulder charges is way over the top. The ARLC was supposed to unite the game not divide it and weaken it!

#133 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

The ARLC was supposed to unite the game not divide it and weaken it!

They have united the game. Everyone is now united against the ARLC!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#134 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

They have united the game. Everyone is now united against the ARLC!

Haha. Good point.

#135 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Do the RLIF have any jurisdiction when it comes to laws the ARLC or the RFL pass?

#136 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Check out Reg Reagans view on the shoulder charge!! Brilliant!

http://m.soundcloud....gan-on-triple-m
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#137 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

Do the RLIF have any jurisdiction when it comes to laws the ARLC or the RFL pass?

I don t think so. They are a toothless tiger but they should have the final say and a veto to boot on all law changes proposed by any national league. The laws need to be co ordinated world wide and should not be changed unilateraly at the wish of any one national body, usually the AUSTRALIANS.

#138 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Goodbye shoulder charge, it was nice knowing you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users