• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Well it seems the latest team to join the asset stripping is Leeds

Rumour say a fee has been agreed between Leeds and Salford for Joel Moon.

At this stage I can't see any reason to renew my season ticket.

We won't have a team to complete any of the new fixtures.

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Well it seems the latest team to join the asset stripping is Leeds

Rumour say a fee has been agreed between Leeds and Salford for Joel Moon.

At this stage I can't see any reason to renew my season ticket.

We won't have a team to complete any of the new fixtures.

Don't know if it's true or not,apparently the rumour started from a fake twitter account.
Maybe,just maybe,Salford are in such a dire financial situation that they have to sell players.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 20 November 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I understand the financial situation and these on going talks hinge on the repayment of a bank loan.

Just find it interesting to contrast it to Bradford's position when their players seemed to be off limits.

#4 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I understand the financial situation and these on going talks hinge on the repayment of a bank loan.

Just find it interesting to contrast it to Bradford's position when their players seemed to be off limits.

The difference being Bradford went into administration.

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

http://www.yorkshire...arget-1-5149050

#6 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

It's tough times for Salford fans. It does seem that the penalty for NOT going into administration if you are struggling is far greater than if you do?

We have had to sell Holdsworth / Smith / Moon (?) + release Adamson / Palliasena / Anderson + some younger lads. Also Sean Gleeson left and Patten retired ... so far we have sign Andrew Dixon (a good move) and promoted some of the under 20's - we have no experienced half backs or full back and only one really decent prop. This is a team that will do well to win 1 game. We must have the cheapest wage bill & smallest squad by a long way. But we will still go under in the end unless someone rescues us.

I am glad Bradford got sorted out as I don't want to see any team struggle - as a fan it feels absolutely sickening. You just want good news, but get nothing but doom & gloom :( - we are going throught it now and I hate it. It does grate that Bradford have kept a strong squad and will do well next year after completely imploding financially - but the circumstances were different with them and the fact it happenned mid-season probably helped them. It focussed all the powers that be on helping them survive. I just won't get bitter about it - their fans had to go through a miserable season and dug deep into their pockets, so good luck to them. Now I hope we get sorted before its too late and we can then sign a few more players and maybe win a few games ......

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bradford took a different approach to their money worries.

Have Salford come out and asked their fans for support?

If they are making the decision to try and resolve this quietly in-house by selling players, then that is their choice.

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

There does seem to have been another double standard applied here. The RFL brokered a gentleman's handshake rendering Bradford players off limits, whereas Salford have been asset stripped mercilessly.

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

I thought I read yesterday that Salford were about to be bought by Peel? Their position could well change very abruptly for the better.

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

There does seem to have been another double standard applied here. The RFL brokered a gentleman's handshake rendering Bradford players off limits, whereas Salford have been asset stripped mercilessly.

i see no similarity between these two cases, not sure why you do.

#11 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I don't know if anyone on here watches The Walking Dead, but there are certainly similarities between the scenes in which the zombies tear into the prostrate flesh of the fallen and the way certain clubs have carried out their transfer business in the last few months.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#12 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

i see no similarity between these two cases, not sure why you do.

Two clubs in financial strife: one of them is awarded protected status while it regroups/restructures, the other is thrown to the wolves.

Ironically, Salford seem to have been penalised for NOT going into admin and NOT having to be bailed out by the RFL.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Two clubs in financial strife: one of them is awarded protected status while it regroups/restructures, the other is thrown to the wolves.

Ironically, Salford seem to have been penalised for NOT going into admin and NOT having to be bailed out by the RFL.

we have no idea whether Salford are actively trying to sell their stars in an attempt to avoid administration.
Apologies if you do know that...

#14 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

we have no idea whether Salford are actively trying to sell their stars in an attempt to avoid administration.
Apologies if you do know that...

Presumably you think the more likely scenario is that the club is awash with cash.

#15 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Unfortunately Salford have been a shambles for years. Hopefully if they get through this spell and get sold to someone with some serious business nous, they can be the club they should be. Salford should be a good, competitive club, but unfortunately they've been badly run for years.

I liken them to my club Wakey. Run by a bloke way out of his depth for years. For us, we had to go belly up and the new owners seem to be running the club in a much more organised way. The difference is that Salford have a decent ground already in place - even if the roads to get there seem to have been planned by someone who doesn't want anyone to get there.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Presumably you think the more likely scenario is that the club is awash with cash.

not sure of your point tbh.

They are clearly not in a great place but if they have decided that they can sort this with a couple of transfers then thats their choice.

Had they gone into admin and done what the Bulls did and got treated differently then fair enough criticise away. That hasnt happened though.

#17 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

not sure of your point tbh.

They are clearly not in a great place but if they have decided that they can sort this with a couple of transfers then thats their choice.

Had they gone into admin and done what the Bulls did and got treated differently then fair enough criticise away. That hasnt happened though.

Make your mind up. Either you think they are selling to avoid administration or you don't. If it's the latter then why do you think they are selling? For fun. If it's the former then Pottsy makes a good point.

As a Salford supporter and one who buys a season ticket I'd prefer to see us test the water properly with the club going into administration.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Make your mind up. Either you think they are selling to avoid administration or you don't. If it's the latter then why do you think they are selling? For fun. If it's the former then Pottsy makes a good point.

As a Salford supporter and one who buys a season ticket I'd prefer to see us test the water properly with the club going into administration.

i think you misunderstood my earlier post.
My point was that Bradford did not want to sell players and went down one route. Salford may have decided that they do want to sell players and they dont want to take the route the Bulls did.
Im not sure how anybody can criticise the treatment of the two clubs when they are in different situations. Maybe Salford dont want to keep these players!

#19 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

Moon took Salford to a tribunal earlier this year to try to force his release, he lost the case. Not the actions of a club wanting rid.

He was supposedly homesick, but now signs a 3 year deal at Leeds?

I'm not sure what impact Peel owing the club will have with regards playing staff. I am hoping the nepotism days will finished with, and the club is more prefessionally run.

The stubbling block seems to be 250,000 bank loan that neither side want to be responsible for.

We have no news on season tickets, sold 2 players, let anothers go and no sign of any rebuilding.

Moon going to be replaced by an aging unfit Glesson isn't a forward move for me.

I am a disillusioned Salford fan.

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yet a few months ago they sold Matty Smith, so maybe their stance has changed, or they werent happy with how Moon wanted to leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users