Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Joel Moon (merged threads)

Rhinos media release

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I feel that if we (and any other club) can't manage we should go to Champs 1 and THEN be given lots of help to rebuild. That way we get strong clubs and failure is not rewarded.

Sadly you cannot build in the championship. The fans aren't that interested nor are the quality players both young and established.

There's also no help provided. The SKY money given to Championship clubs is Zero.

That's why there are no strong clubs in the championship. Only the weak ones who find a millionaire.

#62 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

No-one's saying Leeds have done anything wrong, the point is how the transfer benefits the league as a whole. Leeds are already streets ahead of Salford and now even more so. People scoffed at my idea in the Scott Taylor to Wigan thread that his sale would lose HKR fans at the gate. Red Willow is a bona fide example of exactly this - a passionate, loyal fan now questioning his commitment to the cause (and rightly so).

Meanwhile, how many potential Rhinos fans have been a bit indecisive, not totally sold on their 18 Grand Final wins in 4 years but will now swell the gates yet further at Headingley as a result of this signing? None, that's how many.

It is a poor move for the league both in terms of credibility and overall commercial value, same as Taylor and many others we've seen this off-season.

That is what happens in sport, strong/rich clubs get better and better, the weak get weaker it's not about fairness for the club or league.

As a Leeds fan I want whats best for Rhinos, if it was the other way round would you be complaining...... probably not!

This thread is about a player and not getting personal towards Leeds fans just because your teams falling apart!!!

#63 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

That is what happens in sport, strong/rich clubs get better and better, the weak get weaker it's not about fairness for the club or league.

As a Leeds fan I want whats best for Rhinos, if it was the other way round would you be complaining...... probably not!

This thread is about a player and not getting personal towards Leeds fans just because your teams falling apart!!!

Yes you are right. We are probably a bit stressed out thats all! ;) If it was Salford doing the winning I wouldn't complain!
I jope JM manages to get in the team - lots more compettion for places at Leeds ...
Martin Gleeson could be interesting for us in his place .......... :lol:

Edited by 41hound, 22 November 2012 - 02:37 PM.

#64 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

I admire what Warrington have achieved and as a business plan it is to be admired. I would say that Widnes are also reaping the rewards of a sound business. Could Warrington have managed it without the boost of Moran's input, who knows?

Wilkie has pumped money in over the last 30 years but this hasn't gone on buying big name palyers which will draw the crowds.

There has been so much wrong at Salford over the last 10 years plus. The Willows cost a fortune to maintain, crowds were low. Don't even get me started on the move to Barton,

I've watched Salford since the days of Dixon,Watkins and Fielding (with a few years missing in 80s living in Hampshire) Never have things felt so bad or bleak. At the moment I don't see Peel as being a saving light, it is all about business not the Moran view.

#65 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

I think Moon will be a first choice centre. Means our backline has an average age of 22 for next season! Hardaker, BJB, Watkins, Moon, Hall.

I do wish that any talent in the league was spread evenly, I would love 14 teams that were all equal and as competitive as each other, and hopefully one day we might get there. The only way it will get there is when all teams can spend the cap and the league is shown as very even, until then players will gravitate to those with more of a chance of trophies.

#66 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I admire what Warrington have achieved and as a business plan it is to be admired. I would say that Widnes are also reaping the rewards of a sound business. Could Warrington have managed it without the boost of Moran's input, who knows?

Wilkie has pumped money in over the last 30 years but this hasn't gone on buying big name palyers which will draw the crowds.

There has been so much wrong at Salford over the last 10 years plus. The Willows cost a fortune to maintain, crowds were low. Don't even get me started on the move to Barton,

I've watched Salford since the days of Dixon,Watkins and Fielding (with a few years missing in 80s living in Hampshire) Never have things felt so bad or bleak. At the moment I don't see Peel as being a saving light, it is all about business not the Moran view.

I am a Swinton fan, but I used to go to the Willows as I only lived 5 streets east of there, and I remember Charlton Fielding Hesketh, Watkins, Richards Gill, Coulman, Dixon & Prescott. Thats 9 players all with GB/England/Wales international experience, the only experience the Reds have now Internationally is on holiday.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#67 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yes you are right. We are probably a bit stressed out thats all! ;) If it was Salford doing the winning I wouldn't complain!
I jope JM manages to get in the team - lots more compettion for places at Leeds ...
Martin Gleeson could be interesting for us in his place .......... :lol:

Absolutely!!!

I wouldn't want to see any RL team fail as a club even supporting Leeds I hoped Bradford Bulls would be rescued for the sake of Rugby League in this country and Salford is no different.

I will keep my fingers crossed for the City Reds because we need all teams to try and become as strong as possible to keep the competition there and for the game to expand, but like you say it's always stressful and annoying when your better players go elsewhere.

#68 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Things will never be equal, there is always some reason for players to gravitate to certain clubs.

Look at Man City, they have the financial clout, won the prmiership and had a Chamions League place but still players pick other clubs.

I'd just like it if the players we rescue or develop got a chance or should that be gave Salford a chance. I would hate to think another club encouraged a player to break his contract.

#69 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Things will never be equal, there is always some reason for players to gravitate to certain clubs.

Look at Man City, they have the financial clout, won the prmiership and had a Chamions League place but still players pick other clubs.

I'd just like it if the players we rescue or develop got a chance or should that be gave Salford a chance. I would hate to think another club encouraged a player to break his contract.

me to but does this mean you are accusing leeds of encoraging moon to break his contract ?
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#70 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I don't see Peel as being a saving light, it is all about business not the Moran view.

What do you know about their intentions towards Salford?

Are they "honourable"?

#71 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

What do you know about their intentions towards Salford?

Are they "honourable"?

All I know about Peel is whatever is in the public domain. John Whittaker has said in the past that getting involved with night clubs and sports clubs isn't good business.

The involvement of Peel in any sporting club will be because it suits their business needs, not because they are fans of Salford or RL. I'll be surprised if they are involved 5 years from now.

It isn't anything dodgy about Peel but Whittaker isn't a fool and everyone knows there is no money in sport for owners.

If they can bring some changes in attitude and a more professional set up then it's worth it for however long they choose to be involved.

#72 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

me to but does this mean you are accusing leeds of encoraging moon to break his contract ?

Moon has been quoted (on BBC Leeds) of saying Leeds approached him at the end of last season, whether that was with Salford's permission or not I have no idea.

#73 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Moon has been quoted (on BBC Leeds) of saying Leeds approached him at the end of last season, whether that was with Salford's permission or not I have no idea.

moon is also quoted as saying in the yorkshire evening post that he phoned leeds a couple of weeks ago asking if there would be interested in him at which stage leeds contacted salford for permission to speak to moon
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#74 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Martin Gleeson reported as joining Salford, once the change of ownership takes place. Also a long tribute to Wilkinson's role within the club.
http://menmedia.co.u...n-as-moon-walks
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#75 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

All I know about Peel is whatever is in the public domain. John Whittaker has said in the past that getting involved with night clubs and sports clubs isn't good business.

The involvement of Peel in any sporting club will be because it suits their business needs, not because they are fans of Salford or RL. I'll be surprised if they are involved 5 years from now.

It isn't anything dodgy about Peel but Whittaker isn't a fool and everyone knows there is no money in sport for owners.

If they can bring some changes in attitude and a more professional set up then it's worth it for however long they choose to be involved.

If Peel are indeed taking over the club, I would view this as a defensive play on their part to protect their stadium asset.

They need to guarantee a tenant for the long haul otherwise Barton stadium risks becoming a white elephant. Given the likelihood that without fresh investment the Reds will go to the wall (and you would then have to question the affordability of such a stadium for any future Salford club) and no-one anywhere trusts Sale Sharks to honour commitments, it seems a fairly safe hedge for Peel to buy a sports team to play in a facility in which Peel has a sizable investment.

Whatever mis-givings some might have about Peel, let's be thankful that someone at Peel thinks buying into RL a better option than buying into RU. Before anyone mentions price, I don't think it simply a question of it being cheaper to buy into RL as last time I looked, Kennedy is looking to offload the Sharks for a nominal sum. Maybe they are genuinely RL fans, or maybe they just see it a more economically viable long term option given the lower salary cap and squad sizes in RL compared to the requirements for RU.

Whatever the case, right now it is better than seeing the Reds fold.

Edited by foozler, 22 November 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Thanks Red....

#77 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

If Peel are indeed taking over the club, I would view this as a defensive play on their part to protect their stadium asset.

They need to guarantee a tenant for the long haul otherwise Barton stadium risks becoming a white elephant. Given the likelihood that without fresh investment the Reds will go to the wall (and you would then have to question the affordability of such a stadium for any future Salford club) and no-one anywhere trusts Sale Sharks to honour commitments, it seems a fairly safe hedge for Peel to buy a sports team to play in a facility in which Peel has a sizable investment.

Whatever mis-givings some might have about Peel, let's be thankful that someone at Peel thinks buying into RL a better option than buying into RU. Before anyone mentions price, I don't think it simply a question of it being cheaper to buy into RL as last time I looked, Kennedy is looking to offload the Sharks for a nominal sum. Maybe they are genuinely RL fans, or maybe they just see it a more economically viable long term option given the lower salary cap and squad sizes in RL compared to the requirements for RU.

Whatever the case, right now it is better than seeing the Reds fold.

Very interesting thoughts thank you.

I think a few SL clubs will limp along badly underfunded this next 2 years but a reduced SL 2012 with Toulouse keen to join may see anyone who can't afford to be there being booted out and quite right too. If Salford limp along without much investment then the rent may get paid, but the fans may drift away and players won't want to come.

Propping a club up to get it's rent money cannot be the basis for a Superleague club, and should not be allowed to happen. Licenses AFAIK can be revoked mid term and Peel should show their hand to the committee, get ready Featherstone!

Edited by The Parksider, 23 November 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#78 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Very interesting thoughts thank you.

I think a few SL clubs will limp along badly underfunded this next 2 years but a reduced SL 2012 with Toulouse keen to join may see anyone who can't afford to be there being booted out and quite right too. If Salford limp along without much investment then the rent may get paid, but the fans may drift away and players won't want to come.

Propping a club up to get it's rent money cannot be the basis for a Superleague club, and should not be allowed to happen. Licenses AFAIK can be revoked mid term and Peel should show their hand to the committee, get ready Featherstone!

I don't think Peel would be happy to see their new asset simply muddling by to collect the quarterly rent cheque. They will want bums on seats which involves a proper marketing strategy aligned with a performing team, preferably a team for the most part composed of local (ish) players.

Whatever your personal mis-givings about the way they have bought up much of the North West, the fact remains that Peel is a very successful business and they would be looking to make a success of the Reds, of that I am certain. Let's face it, we all know what needs doing at the club, it simply requires an injection of both good business management and funds, and Peel are not short of money.

I can't see them taking over the club without some assurances from the RFL about Salford's license for the remainder of the current license period. I might not be popular saying it, but provided the take over goes ahead, the teams I see really at risk are Cas and HKR.

#79 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

One thing on Peel - they have previously sponsored both Warrington and Widnes as well as Salford - maybe they are just interested in the RL and community side of things? Or is that wishful thinking?

#80 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I don't think Peel would be happy to see their new asset simply muddling by to collect the quarterly rent cheque.

Whatever your personal mis-givings about the way they have bought up much of the North West, the fact remains that Peel is a very successful business and they would be looking to make a success of the Reds, of that I am certain.

I can't see them taking over the club without some assurances from the RFL about Salford's license for the remainder of the current license period. I might not be popular saying it, but provided the take over goes ahead, the teams I see really at risk are Cas and HKR.

I think Red had the misgivings that led to my comments and I take yours on board. I seriously hope that Salford get the full monty of investment from Peel. The size of the place they are providing Superleague to has the potential, but it does need a lot of investment.

Hopefully they will shower the club in riches for years to come!!!!!

As for your "popularity" in terms of who you think may end up at risk I hope you will join me in valuing straight and honest talking over popularity with any mean minded people who don't like what we say.

HKR are indeed at risk as Mr. Hudgell withdraws his annual £500K subsidy and Hull FC look to dominate that City.
Cas are indeed at risk as their performances drop, players sold and crisis meetings are held apealing to skint anyway fans.

If the RFL have their Mo Lyndsay heads on they may look forward to awarding Hull and Wakefield a free run of their areas 2015 onwards. two clubs in the same area and all that.

Salford are different in that respect. let's hope the early seventies come back for them via Peel.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users