RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I'm a Sleb, Pour Bugs On My Head

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Anyone watching I'm A Sleb? No? Just me then, as usual! It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. I bet you're all too busy reading classic novels or summatlike. ^_^

Here's an update (see, I'm providing a public service here, I watch this stuff so you don't have to).

Nadine Dorries MP has perhaps surprisingly not been voted to do every trial, though she can now put 'eating an Ostrich anus on national television' on her CV which will no doubt impress the whips on her return to the House of Commons. It was the anus of a dead Ostrich, I ought to point out here. ITV hasn't sunk that low yet.

A hapless former soap star (Rosie Webster, Corrie fans) has eclipsed Nad in the 'being relentlessly bullied by the people who vote on these kind of shows' stakes by having to do six consecutive trials for no other reason that she is pretty rubbish at them, which means she wins no food and her fellow Slebs have to live on rice and beans, which means they get grumpy and fall out with each other a lot.

Former Doctor Who Colin Baker doesn't get much to do on account of him being exceedingly well-rounded these days (unlike his Tardis, he is bigger on the outside) and he is in his 70s, but he's nice to everyone and should win simply on account of him being a former Doctor Who. Biased, me? Of course! :D

'TV funnyman' Brian Conley has left the, ahem, 'jungle' due to an unexplained illness. Poor him. He didn't do much anyway apart from smoke and not make people laugh.

The others are made up of people who were once in that thing that you never watch, a sportsman (boxer David Haye) who would be good at the trials and thus never gets picked to do any, a chirpy American who was apparently in that group with her off of X Factor who sang 'Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me', Janine from Eastenders (don't mess with her, she'll push you down a mountain), and Limahl. Yes, Limahl. From Kajagoogoo. That's an 80s pop band, not a remote Aussie village (though it could be both, I suppose).

I almost forgot Eric Bristow. He's really good at adding up in his head, and smoking. He can actually do both at once.

You don't know what you're missing! B)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Watching it because of Mad Nad, but it's been fun.

David Haye is pretty funny and Rosemary is very jolly hockeysticks and tries to help (while shouting!).
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Never seen a single episode of any series of I'm a Celebrity.

However, you can rest assured that I'm not catching up on any literary classics; I haven't read a book for about fifteen years.

I'd willingly watch every episode of I'm a Celebrity if it was that or read anything by Dickens, Austen, Thackeray, Wilde, Shakespeare etc. The only noble exceptions in my wholly philistine opinion are Henry Fielding and Walter Scott, and both are hard work.

Quiz night tonight. I've been doing it for so long (over twenty five years) that I can answer dozens of questions about TV shows I've never watched and books I've never read.
:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I can't get beyond those talentless presenters
never actually seen an episode

currently reading the Snowman by Joe Nesbo

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#5 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

currently reading the Snowman by Joe Nesbo

Unfortunately, the talentless presenters are the highpoint of the show!

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Quiz night tonight. I've been doing it for so long (over twenty five years) that I can answer dozens of questions about TV shows I've never watched and books I've never read.
:D

Top House per chance?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Top House per chance?

Airedale Quiz League, second division.

We are playing a first division team from Keighley tonight in the cup.

We'll almost certainly lose.

Let's face it, we'll lose.
:lol:

#8 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,635 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

With you there mate.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Airedale Quiz League, second division.

We are playing a first division team from Keighley tonight in the cup.

We'll almost certainly lose.

Let's face it, we'll lose.
:lol:

do you have auto prom and reg?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

I was determined not to watch any of it this year....but two big things changed my mind....Helen Flanagan. :rolleyes: And yes, it was tantamount to bullying, the way she kept winning the public vote.

I rate Ashley Roberts, Rosemary Schrager and Eric Bristow,

#11 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I really like Ant & Dec - as light entertainment presenters go, they really are the best. I would have given up on I'm a Celeb a while ago, but I find them really watchable. I think they know it's kind of a daft show, and they don't take it as seriously as presenters of other similar shows do.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

do you have auto prom and reg?

Yes, we are perennial not-quite-promoteds and don't take it too seriously. To be fair, we have actually reached the first division twice but soon came back down. There used to be three divisions and we have been in all three.

The league has re-energised and picked up a few more teams after a gradual ten-year decline. I think the popularity of TV quizzes has had an impetus. We could still do with some younger blood and more women players though. The season lasts from September to April. Each team must play from a pub, club or equivalent, and you are expected to provide food. For our team, our secretary and her husband make it and we all chip in. The format is four players per team over an eight-round quiz plus each team must provide a reader when it is at home and each team must prepare two sets of questions per year. Currently the second division teams set the questions for the first division and vice versa. Occasionally, if both divisions have an odd number of teams, each team's questions are read to their own divion when it's that team's bye-week.
On top of the league table, there are pairs, singles, cup and plate competitions.

We used to have some teams from Leeds but they left, so I assume there is a similar league based there. I'm sure the league would welcome applications from new teams.
The standard in the second division is reasonable and not discouraging for newcomers.

In the first division the standard is pretty high but survivable and enjoyable when players have adjusted to the style and range of the questions. Barry Simmons from Eggheads plays in it. The current Airedale league singles champion (who also plays in Barry's team) won £250,000 on WWTBAM. I have an idea that their team is not, at the moment, top of the league. Presumably because Barry is not available every week.

As expected, we lost last night 48-37. We were never in front.

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

It is programmes like this that make me want to give up on television altogether. It is bad enough having Come Dancing and X-Factor on at the weekend, but when IACGMOH comes on the television goes off!

When garbage is on TV I tend to contribute on here and other forums, keep up to date with what is going on with my scattered family on Facebook, or just generally read (both online and in print).

As for reading classic novels, you actually catch me reading what is considered to be a modern classic: The Busconductor Hines by James Kelman. Non-fiction, I am making my way through a book I got from a charity shop the other day. It is a book that considers the social, economic and cultural future of Scotland. The sleeve notes give a flavour:-

With the Conservatives back in power after the recent election, and the prime minister questioning the United Kingdom's future relationship with Europe, this would seem a particularly appropriate time for Scotland to consider its future.

The book was published in 1971, and the prime minister was Edward Heath. It only cost me £1.50 and I thought it would be interesting to compare the debate then with the modern day deliberations.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

It is programmes like this that make me want to give up on television altogether.

Yes.

It is shocking that programmes that millions of people like are produced and presented on prime time.

At the same time as last night's sleb BBC Four was doing a thing on the American diner featuring conversations about Edward Hopper, Suzanne Vega and Stephen Shore amongst others.

Television, eh? Only for morons.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,149 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Not especially a fan of any of these shows but the kids watch this so I see a bit of it. Whilst I wouldn't go mad over them, I don't think Ant & Dec are that bad. Quite funny on occasion and not too up themselves to take the pee.

#16 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

Yes.

It is shocking that programmes that millions of people like are produced and presented on prime time.

At the same time as last night's sleb BBC Four was doing a thing on the American diner featuring conversations about Edward Hopper, Suzanne Vega and Stephen Shore amongst others.

See, if the broadcasters aren't showing programmes about "celebrities" doing this, or showing "celebrities" doing that, or showing people who want to be celebrities doing stuff that can then be judged and criticised by celebrities, they are totally obsessed by food, making food or ****ing eating food.

Oh, and BBC 4 - isn't that the channel that they want to close?

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Oh, and BBC 4 - isn't that the channel that they want to close?

Yes, because the smart people are boycotting television.

I've been reduced to watching the Metropolitan Opera on Sky Arts 2.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,420 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yes, because the smart people are boycotting television.

I've been reduced to watching the Metropolitan Opera on Sky Arts 2.

Oh, I'm not boycotting it, I'm just force-fed pap by the higher forms of life in my household: wife and daughter (when she's home).

#19 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Yes.

...or on that other purveyor of pap, BBC2 at the same time last night was Dara O'Brian's Science Lab, which last night tackled the subject of extinction and the part it plays in the evolutionary cycle.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#20 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Done off reality TV of this type a while back. (even the apprentice!!) However this show and Celeb big brother ar the only two I find pallatable now. I'm not one of this "O I'm cool cos I don't watch 'em brigade like above. There's nothing shameful in it. I watch this tripe aswell as intellectual programmes too!!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users