Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I'm a Sleb, Pour Bugs On My Head

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I don't watch reality tv shows because I think I'm so clever, they just don't click for me. I've not seen one second of X Factor this year. Not through snobbery but because I can't stand it. But I have seen some of I'm a celeb.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Done off reality TV of this type a while back. (even the apprentice!!) However this show and Celeb big brother ar the only two I find pallatable now. I'm not one of this "O I'm cool cos I don't watch 'em brigade like above. There's nothing shameful in it. I watch this tripe aswell as intellectual programmes too!!

That's a strange thing to call programmes such as IACGMOH and Celebrity Big Brother - reality TV. What is real about a few Z-listers completing inane tasks, bitching about other, and squeezing out a few more quid from their 'fame'?

Nothing whatsoever to do with 'cool' - believe me, I'm the least 'cool' person you're likely to come across - but about where you draw the line.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,082 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

While the reality shows, soaps and suchlike crud are on, there are other channels showing other things. There is also the 'off' switch.

I watched the first series of 'Strictly' and 'I'm a Celebrity' out of curiosity, and sort of enjoyed them, but never felt the need or desire to watch subsequent series.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,517 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Done off reality TV of this type a while back. (even the apprentice!!) However this show and Celeb big brother ar the only two I find pallatable now. I'm not one of this "O I'm cool cos I don't watch 'em brigade like above. There's nothing shameful in it. I watch this tripe aswell as intellectual programmes too!!

I don't think I'm 'cool' because I don't watch it. I just can't stand that stuff.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#25 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

While the reality shows, soaps and suchlike crud are on, there are other channels showing other things. There is also the 'off' switch.

I watched the first series of 'Strictly' and 'I'm a Celebrity' out of curiosity, and sort of enjoyed them, but never felt the need or desire to watch subsequent series.

In my mind there's two types of these Celeb shows, there's the ones where they actually do something difficult (Strictly & masterchef being 2 examples) then there's the ones where they sit around doing ###### all all day with occasional fabricated tasks (Get me out of here)
Mrs Shadow is addicted to strictly but that and the Apprentice are the only reality shows we watch, partly because they don't treat everyone like complete imbeciles banging on about the "journey" and referring to someone's dead granny who'd be so proud and is watching you now chuck. And they don't have Cheryl Cole involved. Or that one from N-Dubz.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#26 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

The first ever series of Big Brother was riveting telly I thought. But that was ten years back or more. Nowadays these type of programmes are revolting - take a bunch of bewildered, confused, lonely people and poke them with sticks until they dance for our amusement.

I'm A Celebrity is no better for having (nominal) celebrities. Mostly they're just as sad as the poor idiots on the "normal" reality shows.

That's me.  I'm done.

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

In my mind there's two types of these Celeb shows, there's the ones where they actually do something difficult (Strictly & masterchef being 2 examples) then there's the ones where they sit around doing ###### all all day with occasional fabricated tasks (Get me out of here)
Mrs Shadow is addicted to strictly but that and the Apprentice are the only reality shows we watch, partly because they don't treat everyone like complete imbeciles banging on about the "journey" and referring to someone's dead granny who'd be so proud and is watching you now chuck. And they don't have Cheryl Cole involved. Or that one from N-Dubz.

I find the idea of watching people be mediocre at something rather odd but having said that I think you're right. There is clearly some merit and interest in Strictly Come Dancing that is not there in IACGMOOH

The Apprentice absolutely falls into the category of stick poking the mentally insecure for cheap laughs. You're a fool if you watch it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,988 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I find the idea of watching people be mediocre at something rather odd but having said that I think you're right. There is clearly some merit and interest in Strictly Come Dancing that is not there in IACGMOOH

The Apprentice absolutely falls into the category of stick poking the mentally insecure for cheap laughs. You're a fool if you watch it.

I think it's unfair to say the contestants in Strictly and Masterchef are being mediocre, certainly in the later stages of the competition I think they are genuinely reaching professional standards, Kyran Bracken (ex England RU Scrum Half and qualified Solicitor, that''s why you've never heard of him ;)) went on from Celebrities on Ice to being a professional skatist (or whatever the actual term is)
In my heart of hearts I can't disagree with you about the Apprentice, I feel dirty after I watch it but I can't help myself :(
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Apprentice is worth watching for Alan Sugars' jokes alone. A real gag meister.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#30 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think it's unfair to say the contestants in Strictly and Masterchef are being mediocre, certainly in the later stages of the competition I think they are genuinely reaching professional standards, Kyran Bracken (ex England RU Scrum Half and qualified Solicitor, that''s why you've never heard of him ;)) went on from Celebrities on Ice to being a professional skatist (or whatever the actual term is)

Of course I've heard of Kyran Bracken. He played Tim Nice but Dim in that Harry Enfield show in the 90s! Great character.

I'm pretty much alright with Strictly Come Dancing for the reasons you give, I'm just not that interested in it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#31 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think I would find eating a dead Ostrich anus on I'm a Sleb more of a challenge than learning to rumba on Strictly. :D

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#32 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

There is the 'off' switch, but the female wing of the family like shows like Strictly, X-Factor, Apprentice, etc,, and I do get a fair bit of tolerance from Mrs H when I follow my leisure pursuits, so fair's fair.

And it's not as though I don't like 'easy-watching' TV - I've just enjoyed Police-Camera-Action (coz the telly was on as my son is waiting for the footie), will watch the US equivalents (again if someone switches it on), and, in the same circumstances, will chuckle at the slap-stick of something like You've Been Framed.

Like others have said, though, I draw the line at publicity-hungry 'celebs' doing meaningless tasks, bitching about each other and being made fools of in totally artificial situations.

#33 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

I think I would find eating a dead Ostrich anus on I'm a Sleb more of a challenge than learning to rumba on Strictly. :D

Yeah, but which skill would stand you in greater stead?

"Excuse me, may I dance the rumba with you?"

or

"Come 'ere, Ostrich, I want to gobble your anus?" :unsure: :o

#34 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

I don't think it's I'm a Celeb that you are being forced to watch.... :o
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,082 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

"Excuse me, may I dance the rumba with you?"

or

Depends what sort of girl you want to pick up...

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'd be no good at either! :D

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,837 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

There is, though a way to find out! Maybe LPL should arrange a charity version of " I'm a fan, dance me out of here"

#38 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Awww, former Doctor Who Colin Baker has gone. :(

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#39 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Awww, former Doctor Who Colin Baker has gone. :(

Don't worry; he'll come back earlier in the series.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users