TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup at Spotland.

Ticket Information.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm sure you're all aware that the Fiji v Ireland tie is to be played at Spotland and this is a heads up to say anyone who wants tickets should think about getting them as soo as possible. I 'phoned last week and had a job getting two together in anything but the end blocks of our main stand. At the moment the Willbutts Lane stand isn't being sold but the other three areas are.

Fiji v Ireland

Monday October 28th 2013

K.O. TBA

Ticket prices

Main stand - £20 adults & £10 conc

End Stand (seated) - £15 & £7.50 conc

End Terrace (standing) - £10 & £5 conc

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#2 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Really sorry Pugwash but we are struggling to bring any enthusiasm into our own clubs, St Helens reserves and probably Salford reserves, never mind two second tier rugby league nations in a world cup tournament that 99.9% of the world knows nothing about. Reckon one turnstile should be enough.

#3 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

nothing personal Pugwash. Just P****d off by the game after 44 years of supporting Oldham.

#4 Webke

Webke
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Adults tickets were £6 England v France the other week at a Super League stadium - who will pay £20 to watch this??

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Adults tickets were £6 England v France the other week at a Super League stadium - who will pay £20 to watch this??

I have. And thousands of others will too.

Rugby League fans really do drive me crazy with their moaning all the bIoody time. Its pathetic.
Posted Image

#6 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Gav, no dis-respect fella, but you only seem young enough to know the SL era. Fans who have supported the game 25+ plus have a right to have a moan about the way this game is going, as it certainly is going to the dogs. They understood the mechanisms that built the foundations of our game, and to see that slowly destroyed by poor decision after bad, it's opinion that the RFL/SL will not take on board.

Edited by oldhamer, 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#7 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm planning to go. Should be a good game and both sides will deserve some support.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#8 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Spot on oldhamer....totally disillusioned

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Gav, no dis-respect fella, but you only seem young enough to know the SL era. Fans who have supported the game 25+ plus have a right to have a moan about the way this game is going, as it certainly is going to the dogs. They understood the mechanisms that built the foundations of our game, and to see that slowly destroyed by poor decision after bad, it's opinion that the RFL/SL will not take on board.

When my uncle was playing for York in 1987, Hull in 1992 and Doncaster (in the Big League) in 1994 I never missed a game, even though I was only young.

I think its fair to say the game is in a far better condition now than it was then. Far better.
Posted Image

#10 mahdlo

mahdlo
  • Players
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Not sure how it's in a far better condition??
Granted we see shiny new seats in a few stadiums in super duper league
The gap between the aussies and us is bigger than ever the final next year will be aus v NZ we all know that may as just play the final..
The international game is a joke bring back the GB and Aussie tours this tri nations nonesense is embarrasing
Salford, Wakefield, Bradford even St Helens are close or have been very close to finacial meltdown in the last 12 months
London despite countless restarts continues to fail miserbaly in the capital
total failures in wales, paris, sheffield, Oldham, Leigh, halifax, whitehaven, workington, barrow, gateshead, widnes (how long before they hit the rocks again)
Reserve team football seems to be disapperaing because of finacial constraints meaning more and more players leaving the game..
Amateur rugby is not exactly thriving more surviving..
Sure i could go on but to be honest it's not worth it..
Better Condition well we arent likely to ever agree 100% but i am struggling to see any improvements to be honest..

#11 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Spot on mahdlo.
SL was created on the purpose to bring more intesity to the game, for the sole purpose to challenge and topple the Australians. If it was an exam, the student would of failed.
Pre SL, under the banner of Great Britain, depsite what we have now where the home nations have been broken up, the British game isn't weaker for it, as the better players will always be shoe horned into playing for England - a RFL employee broadcast this information in a radio interview just recently. The lesser of the home nations will be picked with third/fourth Austrialans/Kiwis etc. In fact, England suffer the same problem :)
Under Mal Reilly in 1989,90,92 and Hanley 1994, the International game had started to swing back into our arena, and despite the Aussie sides brimming with far more talent than the current day, GB were whiskers away of toppling them. Australia took the International arena seriously, unlike today, where State of Origin is their preference.
It is during this time that GB had a plethora of skillful halfbacks to pick from in the mode of Edwards, Gregory, Fox, Ford, Davies, Schofield, Steadman etc. All competing for the two half back roles, leaving some disapointed. The same for could be said for Australia, Lyons, Fittler, Langer, Jackson etc. Can the game boast that talent anymore? No. The game has evolved into 13 gym monkeys trying to overpower each other in a sterile 'barge-a-thon', however, it seems Australia are looking back to what made them good and adapting their game accordingly. If we measure the game as it is today, we have a substanded Kiwi/Maori the best option for the scrum halves jersey, and a loose forward the number one choice at stand off. That's progress?
SL also claimed to bring financial stabilty to clubs. Since then we lost Paris, Oldham, Blackpool etc and nearly every club has been close to being wound up. Again, a fail.
The positives is that the game has tried to expand, but has done through forced expansion rather than gradual development, Catalan excluded as they were all ready a proved side. But look at the outcome of Gateshead, Celtic Crusaders, Paris etc? Again, failed.
SL has brought some grounds and facilities into the modern era, but at what cost? Match day revenue is lost as money made inside some of grounds feed a stadium comittee, rather than going back to the club. And because of that, clubs have to increase the entrance to the game to unaffordable levels.
There is no clear pathways anymore from the amatuer to pro ranks for players, as the RFL change their minds every four months. No reserve teams anymore, so player development is hindered, and due to financial constraints have to lean on a lesser club to develop their talent for them. Again, Fail.
Sorry Gav, I can only see the negatives.

#12 Webke

Webke
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Gav,

Thousands at Spotland for Fiji v Ireland? Really?

#13 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Me and two of my mates are planning on taking in as many games as possible next year so will certainly try and get to this it being a local venue.

#14 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Gav,

Thousands at Spotland for Fiji v Ireland? Really?

Given that the main stand holds 2000 and its nearly sold then yes thousands Really
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#15 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Given that the main stand holds 2000 and its nearly sold then yes thousands Really

I am sure there will be thousands, and I hope a full house of which I also hope to be one of them.

#16 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Tickets are selling really well and I'm very happy to see it thus.

I know the World Cup doesn't really cut it as a whole but I think this tie is very close to call. The main stand is filling fast and the ends are both open, so if you like to stand behind the sticks, you can do!

By the way, you can get tickets from Spotland if you wish instead of using the RFL website. Also, the corporate packages will be available soon so if you would like to be considered for them you can put your name down.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

did i read somewhere that mark wynn was calling for the world cup to be named after Paul Barrière??

when mr Barrière died 6 or so months before the last world cup in 2008 i led a campaign to name the world cup after him....it turns out he decline the offer years ago while he was still alive..so while not wanting to do something against his wishes we switched our attention to naming the world cup man of the match medal after mr Barrière instead.......its got emailed to everyone that could have made that decision...but it kinda died a death......

if we want to honor mr Barrière.....the world cup final MoM medal is the way to go.....cos he never wanted the actual trophy named after him .

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

god knows why some of that writing is tiny????..................anyway!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

There are more Fijians living in Rochdale than anywhere else in the UK stemming from the influx of Fijians who played for the Hornets way back in the 1960 s. There are persons of Irish descent all over Lancashire. The host town orgainsing committee who bid for this game seem to be promoting it well. The Fijians made the semi finals in 2008. I think these various factors of and by themselves should make the game an attraction and result in a decent attendance.

It is just down the road from Oldham, as is Salford and Old Trafford all of whom are hosting games in this tournament. The game gets criticised for our weak international set up and here are three games on your doorstep. If you all don't support them, then we can only blame ourselves for the paucity of international RL in the future. I think it will be a great tournament. The RU will get big gates for their lesser games in 2015 over here. Let us show that we can be as positive in our support for our World Cup

#20 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 AM

There are more Fijians living in Rochdale than anywhere else in the UK stemming from the influx of Fijians who played for the Hornets way back in the 1960 s. There are persons of Irish descent all over Lancashire. The host town orgainsing committee who bid for this game seem to be promoting it well. The Fijians made the semi finals in 2008. I think these various factors of and by themselves should make the game an attraction and result in a decent attendance.

It is just down the road from Oldham, as is Salford and Old Trafford all of whom are hosting games in this tournament. The game gets criticised for our weak international set up and here are three games on your doorstep. If you all don't support them, then we can only blame ourselves for the paucity of international RL in the future. I think it will be a great tournament. The RU will get big gates for their lesser games in 2015 over here. Let us show that we can be as positive in our support for our World Cup

That's one of the best posts I have ever read Keighley.

Thank you.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.