Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

French juniors beat the aussies

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

You look at things or ideas for improvement or expansion and say " Not possible" or "fantasy". This may be true at the time of such proposals. However, all the things listed in my first paragraph changed and for the better. Ideas and ambitions should not be dismissed out of hand because they cannot be implemented today. Things and circumstances change, movers and shakers emerge and things change to the point where ideas and ambitions can be realised.

Time will tell which strategy or which ideas will be proved correct.

Well the strategy that keeps being thrown at me is small clubs make small steps forward for small rewards, from that positive start things grow and more interest is generated, ambitions can be raised a level and the strategy continues as the club rises up. Another junior star and another hundred on the gate, until the golden gates of heaven (i.e. Superleague) open for that club.

After 17 years time has already told.

Only the big grand old clubs of league and Union really survive professionalism. The rest cannot and have not grown to any level where they can compete.

Sorry you old dreamer, time has already told.

#82 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well the strategy that keeps being thrown at me is small clubs make small steps forward for small rewards, from that positive start things grow and more interest is generated, ambitions can be raised a level and the strategy continues as the club rises up. Another junior star and another hundred on the gate, until the golden gates of heaven (i.e. Superleague) open for that club.

After 17 years time has already told.

Only the big grand old clubs of league and Union really survive professionalism. The rest cannot and have not grown to any level where they can compete.

Sorry you old dreamer, time has already told.

So that's going to leave us with Leeds, St Helens, Hull, Wigan and Warrington, seeing as that's the only teams that can survive as full time pros in RL. That's a sizeable , impressive number after 17 years of trying. That's probably why the ideas people are having a strategic review of the game at this very time 9 as you like to say " Geddit").

#83 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Keighley ARLFC just beat the pride of Leeds, Drighlington, in Leed to reach the semi final of the Yorkshire cupbut Keighley dont produce players so that must be wrong. Maybe the players for the Keighley team were never juniors,maybe they just emigrated from Leeds to the area.

New information has just come to my knolwledge that Keighley ARLC beat Hunslet in an earlier round, so, even if the claim that Drighlington is not in Leeds is still an issue, the poor Keighley produced players still beat a Leeds team, one in the backyard of Rhinos recruitment no less. As someone said " Glee is good".

#84 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Keighley ARLC beat Hunslet ARLC

That's great. Put them both in Superleague then.

#85 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

So that's going to leave us with Leeds, St Helens, Hull, Wigan and Warrington, seeing as that's the only teams that can survive as full time pros in RL.

You left out Wakefield, Toulouse, Bradford, Fartown, Salford, London (survived for the full 17 years and proud of it) & Catalans.

Your getting forgetful.

#86 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

That's great. Put them both in Superleague then.

These are amateur teams,remember, the winner from an area which does not produce juniors but which beat two teams away who are from that holy of holies an area with a SL team to appeal to all the kids to take up a career as a SL player at the age of 8.

#87 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

You left out Wakefield, Toulouse, Bradford, Fartown, Salford, London (survived for the full 17 years and proud of it) & Catalans.

Your getting forgetful.

You are joking, I hope.

.Wakefield, bankrupt twice,surviving as far as we knoe via a sugar daddy.

Toulouse are not nor ever have been in SL.

Bradford, could not make a profit, went bankrupt and are now propped up by 2 restaurants Khan, good luck with that.

Fartown, have never made a profit and are there thanks to the good graces of a sugar daddy.

Salford, have never made a profit, have been supported by a Sugar daddy and now even that is not enough.

London, have never ever made a profit,have been propped up by two seperate sugar daddies and are a serial failure on the field and at the turnstiles.

Catalans I dont really know about although I thought I remembered reading they were a little shaky financially.

So, maybe it s you who have forgotten a few things, things pertinent to being a fully professional stand alone profitable SL club.

#88 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

So, maybe it s you who have forgotten a few things, things pertinent to being a fully professional stand alone profitable SL club.

For the thousandth time probably, SL clubs will take private investment and quite right too.

If that investment reduces the SL clubs will have to revamp their business plans.

But the £18M or whatever SKY pay will always pitch the level they play at way above what CC play at.

Write it down so you don't forget it.

#89 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

For the thousandth time probably, SL clubs will take private investment and quite right too.

If that investment reduces the SL clubs will have to revamp their business plans.

But the £18M or whatever SKY pay will always pitch the level they play at way above what CC play at.

Write it down so you don't forget it.

It's true that they survive on private investment and I'm glad that they do, BUT your point was stand alone i.e. without financial props each and every year, profitable full time professional clubs and only the big five meet that criterium.

You have forever been banging on about the Sky money alone not being enough to get by on in SL hence your strident opposition of any form of promotion. You can't have it both ways. Either it's not enough or its the panacea for SL success, which is it this week?

#90 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

You have forever been banging on about the Sky money alone not being enough to get by on in SL hence your strident opposition of any form of promotion.

There goes that little trick again. Invent my position on something then criticise your own invention.

La la la la la fingers in ears not listening again. I've been posting about Fev's promotion which I wholeheartedly support.

#91 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

There goes that little trick again. Invent my position on something then criticise your own invention.

La la la la la fingers in ears not listening again. I've been posting about Fev's promotion which I wholeheartedly support.

Oh,good. Lets drop London or Bradford to give them their place.

#92 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Oh,good. Lets drop London or Bradford to give them their place.

I was rather hoping for an acknowledgement of my published and repeated support for Featherstone getting in SL rich man or not. I don't care who they replace. They deserve their shot before the door shuts.

#93 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Was this thread about France's impressive juniors ? Again people whinge about France at senior level, the problem not enough kids at junior level getting pro experience. It is time to give toulouse at spot bein seems in for the long haul. Are catalans in this junior superleague next season. What is the update on super xiii any more news ? Time for rfl to bite the bullet, they have support and stadium starts in a Month

#94 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I was rather hoping for an acknowledgement of my published and repeated support for Featherstone getting in SL rich man or not. I don't care who they replace. They deserve their shot before the door shuts.

To be fair, you have consistently supported Featherstone in that regard. That's a strange anomaly in your thinking though because you oppose p and r and have strenuously argued against it as a pinciple and against Keighley, Halifax, Leigh, Sheffield in particular on various threads and now you are in favour of CC teams being feeder teams, hence no promotion for them, even the new teams who have not even played a game as a semi pro team yet

#95 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

1. To be fair, you have consistently supported Featherstone in that regard.

2. That's a strange anomaly in your thinking though because you oppose p and r

3. and have strenuously argued against it as a pinciple and against Keighley, Halifax, Leigh, Sheffield in particular on various threads

4. now you are in favour of CC teams being feeder teams, hence no promotion for them, even the new teams who have not even played a game as a semi pro team yet

SORRY to the OP for this thread. To stay on topic come on TOULOUSE! Vive le France X111!!!

1. Thank you.

2. No I don't, I have never opposed P & R.

3. No I haven't argued against it. I have just outlined why it doesn't work, and why many people think it's counter productive to the game, and why alternatives can work better. However we may have different meanings of the word "work"

You may mean "work to get Keighley a chance in SL"

I may mean "Work to do the best for the game in general"

Go to four up four down for all I care.

That will satisfy a number of fans and cheese off another number of fans.

4. I'm not in favour of "feeder" teams nor against it.

Why do I have to take sides? Why do you keep trying to portray me as the enemy???

#96 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

It's true that they survive on private investment and I'm glad that they do, BUT your point was stand alone i.e. without financial props each and every year, profitable full time professional clubs and only the big five meet that criterium.

You have forever been banging on about the Sky money alone not being enough to get by on in SL hence your strident opposition of any form of promotion. You can't have it both ways. Either it's not enough or its the panacea for SL success, which is it this week?

Actually Parky has only being doing for since around 2010 before that he was of the opinion that "finances don't matter" which generally meant that expansion clubs should be dropped into SL without any questions asked since Sky money was almost enough to fund a club without any other sources of cash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users