The Infinite Monkey Cage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Series 7 has just started - an entertaining and educational mixture of comedy and science, presented by Robin Ince and Dr Brian Cox, with various interesting guests.

Most episodes (from Series 3 onwards, I think) can be downloaded free from the BBC website.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Patrick Stewart was pretty good.
Fides invicta triumphat

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,407 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

Tis a good programme although a bit over-bromancey sometimes. Ince and Cox need to get a room.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for posting that! It certainly made me giggle on a very dull day at work (I loved the disclaimer at the end)

It was obviously full of left wing propaganda though.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for posting that! It certainly made me giggle on a very dull day at work (I loved the disclaimer at the end)

Worth downloading all the other episodes too, if you enjoyed that.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Saw an episode being filmed at Latitude festival. Fair to say they can go off along way from the initial subject!
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Worth downloading all the other episodes too, if you enjoyed that.

I've already listened to most, but I'm inspired to make sure I've listened to them all.

I saw a dodgy youtube from someones phone video of Prof. Cox and Tim Minchin performing White Wine in the Sun after a performance last year (I think). I always thought that they should have released it as a christmas single. If the money raised went to charity I'd certainly have bought it.

#8 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

I've already listened to most, but I'm inspired to make sure I've listened to them all.

I saw a dodgy youtube from someones phone video of Prof. Cox and Tim Minchin performing White Wine in the Sun after a performance last year (I think). I always thought that they should have released it as a christmas single. If the money raised went to charity I'd certainly have bought it.

I was going to be at that recording but the missus had other ideas. :(
Fides invicta triumphat

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

I was going to be at that recording but the missus had other ideas. :(

Ouch!

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,199 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Well not from Cox, with his privileged background of banker parents and attendance at a fee paying school...though he might, like the 2nd Viscount Stansgate, have managed to break the shackles of that privilege.

Of course as you well know, its not BBC Light Entertainment that has the proven and admitted track record of left wing bias - that record belongs to those in news and current affairs who were only too pleased to be able to imply a link between child abuse, McAlpine and Thatcher. You must try harder. Still, if you like science, seriously, get yourself over to CERN. It has advanced quite a bit since I was there in 1972 but even then was a cool place to be.

Edited by JohnM, 23 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#11 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Well not from Cox, with his privileged background of banker parents and attendance at a fee paying school...though he might, like the 2nd Viscount Stansgate, have managed to break the shackles of that privilege.

Of course as you well know, its not BBC Light Entertainment that has the proven and admitted track record of left wing bias - that record belongs to those in news and current affairs who were only too pleased to be able to imply a link between child abuse, McAlpine and Thatcher. You must try harder. Still, if you like science, seriously, get yourself over to CERN. It has advanced quite a bit since I was there in 1972 but even then was a cool place to be.

Drop the bone. You lost the arguement through outlandish lying. Just repeating the same rubbish doesn't make it true. It seems most conservatives think informed opinion that disagrees with them is 'left wing propaganda'. If you want to see a truely bias opinion watch some Fox News.

Not sure why you've got a problem with Prof. Cox though.

Incidentally I'm over to Geneva next year for just such a trip.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,407 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Not sure why you've got a problem with Prof. Cox though.

D:Ream

That is all.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

That is all.

Fair point.

#14 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

That is all.

Ay, being responsible for the official New Labour anthem of '97 will be enough for some. ;)

I quite liked it. :unsure:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,578 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

It wasn't his first band, either - check the hairdo! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users