Photo
- - - - -

Is it still a man's world!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#41 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

Will male tennis players now be able to claim 'damages' for playing more tennis than women at Wimbledon over the years?

I can confirm further down the food chain sexism is alive and well in the sport of tennis - my good lady picks up an awful lot of work not because she's the best qualified coach available but the only female one and for some reason, even when they stay and watch there's more than a few parents don't want men coaching there kids.

There is a general assumption that it will be women who are doing the caring. The local soft play has "mums and toddlers" groups but never a "dads and toddlers" or even a "parents and toddlers" group for example.

I go along to it sometimes, and am usually the only male over the age of three. Sadly, it is not at all like "About a Boy" and I haven't yet met anyone who looks like Rachel Weisz.

Noone seems to mind that I'm there, but a lot of the discussions are about things I just don't care about (eg breastfeeding) or simply would rather not know about (eg episiotomies). I tend to play with my little one in the ball pool or whatever and leave the women to get on with it.

Thankfully, the days of changing facilities only being in the ladies seem to be largely over. On the odd occasion when I've been caught out by that I've just gone into the ladies loos and got on with it. Noone has ever complained, and if they did I'd tell them to get lost.

There are issues, but I tend to think they're minor compared with the benefits of looking after the little one personally. If a bit of stick and some career trouble stopped me being a father, what kind of father would I be?

I suppose not all fathers would feel the same though.

On the odd occasion I've taken my daughter to local play groups, as opposed to play centres, I've found it quite intimidating and I don't intimidate easily! I guess any "newcomer" into a group who meets regulary is viewed with suspecion, it probably just feels more intense when your the only bloke!

#42 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Out of interest, I wonder how many females post on here?

Edited by Saint Billinge, 22 November 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#43 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

On the odd occasion I've taken my daughter to local play groups, as opposed to play centres, I've found it quite intimidating and I don't intimidate easily! I guess any "newcomer" into a group who meets regulary is viewed with suspecion, it probably just feels more intense when your the only bloke!

You just have to tough it out mate. You never know, you might pull!

That's me.  I'm done.

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Will male tennis players now be able to claim 'damages' for playing more tennis than women at Wimbledon over the years?

and getting pto rata less prize money than the female players

#45 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

You just have to tough it out mate. You never know, you might pull!

No chance - ones enough for me! :)

#46 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

No chance - ones enough for me! :)

Speak for yourself old boy.

Posted Image

That's me.  I'm done.