TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Summer Rugby

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Its just been confirmed that the B&D league will switch to summer

#2 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Will Dalton enter an A team in summer or just have one team do you reckon?

#3 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I would think they will still have 2 teams. Whether they enter the A team in a winter competition I don't know. I would imagine the 2nd team will play in the summer comp as the cost of having 2 teams travelling would probably be to much.

#4 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Are they playing spilt season this year and start from summer rugby from march 13 in summer ?

#5 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Does this effect the mini/junior rugby as well

#6 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Mini/Junior is supposed to be summer. There was a short interim season which ends soon for a winter break.

#7 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I know its meant to be the last game this weekend (weather permitting) but my understanding was it was starting again in january, last season it ran from march, six weeks off for the summer holidays and started again sept to oct. this got scrapped after the summer holidays and we started the new winter season we are in now.....

#8 robmc

robmc
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Youth League is playing from sept to nov having break start again in march till fixture are finshed that was said at youth meeting's

#9 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

And does it do the same next year ie sept-november then march to whenever?

#10 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 524 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have been informed that the Youth is suppose to be staying this way put will have to wait and see it change 3 times in the last 3 year so you never know

#11 wiganlad

wiganlad
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Another weekend of cancelled training sessions, games called off for flooded fields, surely kids have to change back to summer

#12 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

total agree

#13 insomniac1

insomniac1
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

why are they looking at playing on a Wednesday night? Is it so teams can put 1st teamers in ? seems a bad idea how many A team players will be able to play on wednesday nights I know it stays light a bit later if we have good weather but what time would they be looking to kick off a lot more people work during the week than at weekends.More players will be lost to the game.

#14 Cents

Cents
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

why are they looking at playing on a Wednesday night? Is it so teams can put 1st teamers in ? seems a bad idea how many A team players will be able to play on wednesday nights I know it stays light a bit later if we have good weather but what time would they be looking to kick off a lot more people work during the week than at weekends.More players will be lost to the game.

This was a suggestion put forward by myself (Paul Eacott) and Paul Henderson from Walney, the B&D league asked for some suggestion for the summer league and this was what we put forward. I shall post tomorrow what I sent to the league from Walney.
All clubs will use 'first team' players at some point whether games are on a Saturday or midweek, what would you rather do play a side say on a wednesday night that had 3-4 first team players in to make up the numbers or not get a game on Saturday because an A team cannot use any first team players because they'll have a game?

#15 insomniac1

insomniac1
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I'd have to stop playing if games were on a Wednesday wouldnt be able to get home from work in time.Plus I think you would loose a lot of young lads who like to do their sports at a weekend a lot of young ones have night schools ect through the week. yes at some point teams will use first teamers on a saturday but not as often as they would on a Wednesday.At Millom we have some young (and old) lads who dont train but will turn up on a saturday if needed these players would stop playing because first teamers would always be available instead so they wouldnt be called upon,some of the younger ones do get more dedicated as they get older but they will alredy have been lost to something else..

Edited by insomniac1, 26 November 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#16 Cents

Cents
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'd have to stop playing if games were on a Wednesday wouldnt be able to get home from work in time.Plus I think you would loose a lot of young lads who like to do their sports at a weekend a lot of young ones have night schools ect through the week. yes at some point teams will use first teamers on a saturday but not as often as they would on a Wednesday.At Millom we have some young (and old) lads who dont train but will turn up on a saturday if needed these players would stop playing because first teamers would always be available instead so they wouldnt be called upon,some of the younger ones do get more dedicated as they get older but they will alredy have been lost to something else..

This is what i sent to the B&D league as suggestions, we have put it on the table as an idea and it is something that can be discussed at the next meeting on the 10th Dec, hopefully other clubs will give it some though how they want the league to run, this is a good oppourtunity for all clubs to have an input into it.

We believe that playing midweek (maybe Tues/Wed/Thurs) games will help the league in a number of ways:

• Allows first team fringe/substitute players to play a full 80 mins.

• Gives players the opportunity to watch the first game on a Saturday and the first team players to watch the A team.

• Free's up the weekend for other things i.e. family commitments, camping, days out, concerts, working

• Doesn't put first team coaches in a predicament for selection purposes i.e. taking 17 players for the first team and leaving the A team short.

• Should reduce the number of cancelled fixtures as clubs will have the ability to put first players in to make up the numbers if the A team are short.

• Allows first team coaches to watch the A team games.

• Allows supporters to watch 2 games for there club each week rather than having to choose between an A team or first team game on a Saturday.

We believe that it will improve the playing standard and enable the league to become more competitive by playing midweek.

Some potential negatives of playing midweek are:

• Some of the young players may be at night school.

• May clash with other sports such as cricket.

• Lad's working the half turns.

Whether games are played on a Saturday or midweek it is not going to be perfect for everyone.

#17 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

The above might work but you will sacrifice bar revenue, I'm sure you will get the crowds to watch on a Tues or Wed. My team plays in the Cumberland League and we had two 500+ crowds for matches on a Monday and Tuesday night, but when I spoke to the secretary, he told me that they had only taken £200 on the bar for both games as nobody stayed afterwards for a pint!
Some things in summer worked, and some didn't in my opinion, it will be interesting to see what happens next season.
Would it not make more sense to play on a Friday night?
Any first team fringe players could play part of the game and then go on the bench for the first team on Saturday, at least that way you would get people watching and drinking and they could also follow the first team on the Saturday

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's, 27 November 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#18 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

So has this season finished now and they are starting up again in March from afresh?

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Another weekend of cancelled training sessions, games called off for flooded fields, surely kids have to change back to summer

fields where flooded in the summer if I remember correctly
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#20 Cents

Cents
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

So has this season finished now and they are starting up again in March from afresh?

Nothing has been decided yet, there is a B&D league meeting on Monday 10th Dec to discuss the switch further, it has been throw open to the clubs for ideas on how they want the league to run/look