Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Championship Select XIII

Would they be of any benefit?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Martyn Sadler made a suggestion in Monday's LE that we should introduce a Championship representative side to possibly play England Knights or a French Championship equivalent side.

After giving it some consideration I think it could be a good idea and something that would benefit the game as a whole. Obviously it would provide recognition and possibly a "shop window" for players who provide enormous commitment to the game, by in the main, working full time, training three nights a week, playing on a weekend and trying to squeeze in a family life as well.

In terms of who this team should play, I would agree with Martyn's 2 suggestions and open it out further to maybe including them in tournament's with Wales, Scotland & Ireland (although the Celtic nations would have first pick of players). How about a Championship XIII v England Knights curtain raiser to next years Exiles games?

If the RLWC is a big success and the RLIF get a few coppers in the piggy bank hopefully we will see a few touring teams from the Pacific Islands and the Championship side could well provide a competitive game.

Worth a go surely?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#2 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

In view of the upcoming 'partnerships' I wonder what the qualifying criteria for selection would be? Great idea in principle though.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#3 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

I think it's an excellent idea. I'm pretty sure the players would buy into it and it would provide meaningful opposition for a lot of international teams.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#4 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

They did this a decade ago. Rob Purdham played for the team before signing for London Broncos.

I think it would be a good move.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#5 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

The 2nd Tier Rugby Union 'Championship XV' team against the New Zealand All Black Maori seemed like a decent game from what I saw of it, so I don't see why a England 'Championships XIII' vs France 'Elite 1 XIII' game wouldn't work.

Having said that I only saw the first 20 minutes. :lol:

Edited by HappyDave, 22 November 2012 - 11:09 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#6 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

In view of the upcoming 'partnerships' I wonder what the qualifying criteria for selection would be? Great idea in principle though.

I'd not considered that point. I would go along the lines that if your parent club was not a Championship team you would not be eligible for the team, i.e no dual reg or loan players from SL clubs.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#7 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

They did this a decade ago. Rob Purdham played for the team before signing for London Broncos.

I think it would be a good move.

Pretty sure it was Championship (or the then equivalent) U21's v Superleague U21's Rob played for before going on to play for England U21's then signing for London, nevertheless I think this is still a good example of why it's an excellent idea
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Pretty sure it was Championship (or the then equivalent) U21's v Superleague U21's Rob played for before going on to play for England U21's then signing for London, nevertheless I think this is still a good example of why it's an excellent idea

Yep, it was in 2001 and was the NFP U21's against SL U21's and the NFP team won 27-20.

Teams that day were :-

Super League:
1. Craig Poucher (Hull), 2. Lee Greenwood (Halifax), 3. Martin Gleeson (Huddersfield), 4. Martin Aspinwall (Wigan), 5. Hefin O'Hare (Huddersfield), 6. Chris Thorman (Huddersfield), 7. Paul Handforth (Wakefield), 8. Ricky Bibey (Wigan), 9. Dave McConnell (St Helens), 10. Chris Feather (Wakefield), 11. Gareth Ellis (Wakefield), 12. Richard Fletcher (Hull), 13. Rob Parker (Bradford) Subs: 14 Mike Higham (St Helens), 15. Mark Edmondson (St Helens), 16 Stuart Jones (Wigan), 17 Ben Westwood (Wakefield)

NFP:
1. Neil Turley (Leigh), 2 Paul Salmon (Barrow), 3. Mick Nanyn, 4. Chris Percival (Widnes), 5. Gavin Dodd (Oldham), 6. Simon Svabic, 7 Jamie Rooney (Featherstone), 8 Danny Sculthorpe (Rochdale), 9.; John Duffy (Leigh), 10. Gareth Haggerty (Widnes), 11. Spencer Miller (Whitehaven), 12. Phil Farrell (Oldham), 13. Robert Purdham (Whitehaven) Subs: 14 Neil Roden (Oldham), 15. Stuart Dickens (Featherstone), 16 Lee Doran, 17 Carl Sice (Workington)

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'd match them against Scotland, Wales and Ireland instead of England Knights. Most of the Scottish, Irish and Welsh players come from the Championship and I think it would be an even competition.

Scotland and Ireland playing England Knights was ridiculous. Nobody gets much out of a mismatch like that.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,716 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

I'd match them against Scotland, Wales and Ireland instead of England Knights. Most of the Scottish, Irish and Welsh players come from the Championship and I think it would be an even competition.

Scotland and Ireland playing England Knights was ridiculous. Nobody gets much out of a mismatch like that.

Would be a good idea. But who would the Knights play?

Personally, I'd have the Knights split into Yorkshire/Lancashire and have them play each other ala City/Country as a trial for the England team. Would be a far better game IMO.
Posted Image

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Would be a good idea. But who would the Knights play?.

Probably the French.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

A Championship rep side would be a fantastic idea. It could be a real highlight for players and supporters of championship teams.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,065 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

A Championship rep side would be a fantastic idea. It could be a real highlight for players and supporters of championship teams.

It'd be a pretty good team, too, I reckon.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

If they played against Ireland wouldn't they be missing a Flynn? ;)
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users