Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New ARLC CEO

A Welshman

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 LineBall

LineBall
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

http://www.nrl.com/m...38/default.aspx

Dave Smith as been announced as the new CEO of the ARLC. He was the CEO of Lloyd's international and moved to Australia to take up that position 9 years ago. You can see an interview with him in the link provided.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

ps he's welsh...............

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hopefully the fact that he's Welsh and lived over in the UK might mean he can turn the Australian game to take a more sympathetic view towards international RL e.g. some funding and games for PNG and the Pacific Islands and changing the State of origin eligibilty rules so that players can both play state of origin and international football for some other country than Australia and geting the Aussie clubs to host the WCC every alternate year.

#4 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'd have liked to have seen someone with a Rugby League background get the job rather than another anonymous "suit".

Too many of our administrators (in both hemispheres) are too far removed from the actual game. We now have another one to add to the collection.

Having said that, I hope he is the man for the job and can re-invigorate international football even though it's not technically his job to do it!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'd have liked to have seen someone with a Rugby League background get the job rather than another anonymous "suit".

Too many of our administrators (in both hemispheres) are too far removed from the actual game. We now have another one to add to the collection.

Having said that, I hope he is the man for the job and can re-invigorate international football even though it's not technically his job to do it!

That's an argument that cuts both ways. A person with no club or state axe to grind can make better and more impartial decisions. I think it worked quite well in the RFL with the Richard Lewis appointment.

#6 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

That's an argument that cuts both ways. A person with no club or state axe to grind can make better and more impartial decisions. I think it worked quite well in the RFL with the Richard Lewis appointment.

True I suppose, but at the same time Richard Lewis never struck me as having a passion for the game, rather a sense that he was just doing the job he was paid to do.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Insofar as a major concern has been that the ARL is too insular appointinga Taff must be a good thing.

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

True I suppose, but at the same time Richard Lewis never struck me as having a passion for the game, rather a sense that he was just doing the job he was paid to do.

Passion is not always the best attribute when hard decisions have to be taken.

When Lewis took over the game was in a mess and leaking money like a sieve.

A disinterested administrator did what had to be done and he handed the game over in much better shape.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#9 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Passion is not always the best attribute when hard decisions have to be taken.

When Lewis took over the game was in a mess and leaking money like a sieve.

A disinterested administrator did what had to be done and he handed the game over in much better shape.

I'm not disputing what you say. I agree Richard Lewis did turn the game around financially and steadied the ship. Once the ship was steadied though, did he plot a successful new course and dedicate his time to taking the game forward? If so, why did he effectively become part-time and spend most of his time in his role with Sport England down in London?

#10 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

At his press conference, he didn't recognise any of the players on a picture containing Johnathan Thurston, Wendell Sailor and Sam Thaiday. He also couldn't name the captain of the Kangaroos.

Watch this space - I'm not impressed with the ARL Commission so far.

#11 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

I know it's a different sport but it didn't do Leeds Utd any favours having a fan in charge, they were basically ruined by him.

#12 Blotto

Blotto
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

The point is he has got pretty sound business credentials and the one thing the ARL need with all that influx of TV monies is someone like that, not from the squabbling, political backstabbing background that is RL at the moment. They also have a pretty sharp Salary Cap Supervisor who takes no prisoners as the Eels and other Clubs have found out!
If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,063 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

He's keeping the day job at the bank; so he hasn't been brought in to be a hands-on CEO. The ARL's choice has probably been influenced by the success that Richard Lewis had with the RFL in the UK.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

The very real danger in getting someone from within the game is that they end up with someone who barely registers the existence of the international game, or even worse, someone whose horizons don't stretch any further than Sydney city limits.

I think this guy's worth going with, if he can look at the bigger picture, can map out the future for RL and has no political/personal enemies/obligations within the game.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

At his press conference, he didn't recognise any of the players on a picture containing Johnathan Thurston, Wendell Sailor and Sam Thaiday. He also couldn't name the captain of the Kangaroos.

Watch this space - I'm not impressed with the ARL Commission so far.

I understand your concern but really its more important that he does the best job possible. It would perhaps be worse if he knew the players, their coaches etc, at least this way he won't have too many preconceptions and maybe feel obliged to favour certain people or clubs.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

I understand your concern but really its more important that he does the best job possible. It would perhaps be worse if he knew the players, their coaches etc, at least this way he won't have too many preconceptions and maybe feel obliged to favour certain people or clubs.

I wonder how many RL players Richard Lewis could have identified, at the time when he was first approached for the RFL job.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I wonder how many RL players Richard Lewis could have identified, at the time when he was first approached for the RFL job.

Pretty sure his first game was at Wakefield and he hadn't seen a game before that. Luckily, he didn't do a bunk immediately ;)

#18 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Pretty sure his first game was at Wakefield and he hadn't seen a game before that. Luckily, he didn't do a bunk immediately ;)

But was he ever seen at Belle Vue again?

#19 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,981 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Doubt it, the guy wasn't daft. ;)

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Why is that important?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users