Italy Dark Horses?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Fair point keighley, sounds reasonable. The problem comes when the time comes to actually stop relying on heritage players....there's always a major game to win where you could think, 'just this one more tournament'...

As for the Ireland game, I'm not sure a defeat will be as disastrous as you make out. Don't forget, these people support the RU team in big numbers against the All Blacks despite never ever beating them. I think the neutrals can just enjoy seeing class players like Thurston et al without declaring it pointless or a joke. I'm hoping to be at that game anyway.

I hope you are right about the Ireland game. I am hoping to be there too if I can get past the distastrous ticketmaster Ireland system. They want to post tickets to my home address because that is what is on my credit card within 7 to 10 days of the match evern though I am leaving for the UK late October. Customer service it isn't.

#22 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

My initial reaction was one of disgust, and that this would be prefect ammo for the Vichy press to stick the boot in.
Having read the range of views on here, I think the question that needs answering is by the Italian RL - can they demonstrate how picking masses of Aussies will help grow RL in Italy. People assert that will be the case - how? Will the games be televised, will the players promote the game over there, will they play again for Italy? If they cannot do so, then the organisers must put a limit on how many ringers they can field.
(As regards playing for Italy outside the World Cup, some of them may have played for "Italy" in one of those random "Italy" v "Greece" games et al they put on in Italy from time to time.

#23 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

It just makes it look poor and totally bogus if all the interviewed players go 'awww mate, it was great' when he should be saying 'wassa matter you, hey' etc

:D

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

:D

:)

That or gesticulating wildly and saying 'mamma mia' ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

I hope you are right about the Ireland game. I am hoping to be there too if I can get past the distastrous ticketmaster Ireland system. They want to post tickets to my home address because that is what is on my credit card within 7 to 10 days of the match evern though I am leaving for the UK late October. Customer service it isn't.

I'd never considered that. Is there an easier way to get tickets?

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'd never considered that. Is there an easier way to get tickets?

I was given a phone number for the stadium ticket office and was hoping to arrange match day pick up for my tickets but I have not called them yet.

#27 brooza

brooza
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Having read the range of views on here, I think the question that needs answering is by the Italian RL - can they demonstrate how picking masses of Aussies will help grow RL in Italy. People assert that will be the case - how? Will the games be televised, will the players promote the game over there, will they play again for Italy? If they cannot do so, then the organisers must put a limit on how many ringers they can field.

Which organisation do you aske? FIRL or IRLF
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#28 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

My initial reaction was one of disgust, and that this would be prefect ammo for the Vichy press to stick the boot in.

The Italy Rugby Union team selected a host of foreign born, raised and trained players as well:
From this weekend's team to play Australia:
10. Luciano Orquera - fily-half, born Argentina, raised and played.
8. Sergio Parisse - number 8 and captain, born Argentina. Italian parents
7. Robert Barbieri - openside flanker. Born, raised, played junior Rugby in Canada.
4. Quintin Geldenhuys - second row, born South Africa, residency qualified
3. Martin Castrogiovanni - prop, born Argentina
21. Manoa Vosawai (number 8/flanker) - born in Fiji.
23. Luke McLean - fullback/fly-half, played Australia Under 21s, Italian grandparents. Would have played with a number of Wallabies he'll play against.

Also in the wider squad for the Autumn tests:
Tobias Botes - halfback, born in South Africa.
Gonzalo Canale - centre. Born in Argentina.
Kristopher Burton - fullback/flyhalf, born in Australia, played in Brisbane, Italian mother.
Joshua Furno - second row, born in Australia.

In Six Nations squad
Cornelius van Zyl - second row, South African.

In last year's World Cup
Carlo del Fava - Second row, born South Africa, played South Africa Under 21s.
Gonzalo Garcia - centre, born Argentina, played Argentina Under 21s.

Many more foreign born or trained players have played for Italy RU, like Craig Gower and former St George/Bulls wing Nick Zisti. There has been no criticism of any of these players in the Rugby press.

#29 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

That's hardly an example to follow though is it? And can those players change nations after representing Italy?

#30 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

It will be far better for RL if this team participates and does well, than having a team who'll get mullered.

The game could get some much needed publicity in Italy. Also it is good to have more competitive teams. In fact I would like to have seen England play this powerful Italian team in a warm up - in London and publicised to the max.

Can the Italian Aussies speak Italian btw? Goes a long way to acception

#31 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Italy as a nation shouldnt even be able to qualify for the WC. No meaningful national comp, barely any junior development. It's such a shame for the countries that missed out who actually play the game.

#32 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Italy as a nation shouldnt even be able to qualify for the WC. No meaningful national comp, barely any junior development. It's such a shame for the countries that missed out who actually play the game.

Are Scotland and Ireland not in exactly the same boat as Italy? Throw them out as well.

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

From what I have seen, Italy does have a domestic comp. Perhaps not the biggest going but it seems to be reasonably ok. I wasn't very happy when they qualified but what can we do about that? If they did it, they did it.

#34 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,867 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Other than the big 3, PNG, Wales and France, which nations competing in the World Cup will not have a majority of heritage players?

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC, 25 November 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Posted Image

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Other than the big 3, PNG, Wales and France, which nations competing in the World Cup will not have a majority of heritage players?

USA, Samoa maybe, Cook Islands maybe.

#36 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

They have two national competitions, and have staged youth internationals this year. The sport isn't massive there but it's new, what do you expect?

Edited by Evil Homer, 25 November 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#37 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

Agreed.

Opening game of the World Cup - Wales vs Italy @ Millenium Stadium

Wales - a team of home grown players committed to their country.

Italy - a team of Aussies (with Italian heritage and not good enough to play for Oz) committed to "their" country for a few weeks.

If Wales played a team of Italians and won their support at the WC would increase. Wales will play a bunch of Aussies, will probably lose and could possibility lose an opportunity to further develop RL in Wales.

brilliant post.........................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#38 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

There is some brilliant stuff which has been added recently to http://www.facebook....yFootballLeague see16th November,
They did a tour of England in 1950 and there are pictures from the games at Saints, Wigan and Huddersfield.
Posted Image

Their photograph from the 6th of October is also very interesting; it is Italian soccer legend Alessandro Del Piero attending his first rugby league match, the Australian Grand Final and commenting how much he enjoyed the atmosphere. If he could be persuaded to do some publicity for the World Cup, there could be potentially many more Italians interested in watching their team, or at least a bunch of Aussies pretending to be their team.

Posted Image
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#39 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Theres an aussie with an italian passport just signed for haven (james cameron) and the main reason he,s signed is to try and get a world cup spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users