Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Italy WC Squad

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Is the fact that players like Minnicello (sp?) are willing to play for Italy in the WC for free (allegedly) a good sign of their dedication to the cause? Or is it just denying homegrown Italian players a chance?

OK, the actual Italian players wont be anywhere near as good but will it put others off playing the game if they just think that when it comes to the big games they will be cast aside for a better known Aussie?

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I don't have a problem with heritage players as long as they aren't just there for the WC. At least Minichello was there for the WC qualifiers unlike some glory hunters. If the RLEF/RLIF can link the European Cup to the WC qualifiers then we might even see the glory hunters appear or they'll be jeopardising their chances of their day in the sun.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

That would be a good idea pom. I too don't actually have a problem with using heritage players but they have to be there for the duration, not just if they fancy a free holiday.

#4 bird

bird
  • Coach
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Its the World Cup for heavens sake. If a player is qualified, play him.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Its the World Cup for heavens sake. If a player is qualified, play him.

But what about when there isn't a WC on? What then if the same players suddenly become injured?

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

But what about when there isn't a WC on? What then if the same players suddenly become injured?

Do they even claim to be injured?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Unfortunately most don't even have the decency to do that.

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

You know what I mean...

#9 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

Surely if a player has already played for a national team, then they should not be allowed to play for another. SIMPLE!!!

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Surely if a player has already played for a national team, then they should not be allowed to play for another. SIMPLE!!!

You need to explain that one to the ARL, the RFL and the NZRL first then.

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

No problem with it. It'll take time though before the top players are prepared to make themselves available for the lesser nation internationals. For many of them, the profile is too low, and the top players aren't interested. In due course it'll happen, but we're a few years away just yet.

Wasn't so long ago that Aussie players were crying off having to come to England to play GB, and Brits were crying off playing for GB. The profile of playing for Oz, NZ or England is now higher than it has been for some time.

#12 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

You need to explain that one to the ARL, the RFL and the NZRL first then.

Why?

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Why?

Because all three have used players who have previously played for another nation first.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Because all three have used players who have previously played for another nation first.

The International setup consists of more countries than represented by those governing bodies, no governing body contributes more to the international game than either the ARL or NRFL.

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

The International setup consists of more countries than represented by those governing bodies, no governing body contributes more to the international game than either the ARL or NRFL.

So that allows them to abuse the system does it?

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 674 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

How are they abusing it? How many players have Australia used that learnt to play at a reasonable level outside Australia?

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

How are they abusing it? How many players have Australia used that learnt to play at a reasonable level outside Australia?

If I have to explain the abuse of the rules then it's not worth carrying on the "discussion". One is one too many.

Edited by deluded pom?, 02 December 2012 - 04:22 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,607 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

The Italians are not abusing the rules, nor are anyone else. All players in the WC will have had to be eligible according to the rules of eligibility that govern the tournament.

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

The Italians are not abusing the rules, nor are anyone else. All players in the WC will have had to be eligible according to the rules of eligibility that govern the tournament.

That's not true. Uate shouldn't have been allowed to play for Australia after having represented Fiji during the same WC cycle. I never suggested Italy were abusing the rules. Besides that, who do you think make the eligibility rules up and then take advantage of them?

Edited by deluded pom?, 03 December 2012 - 06:32 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

If I have to explain the abuse of the rules then it's not worth carrying on the "discussion". One is one too many.

It is abuse of the rules in your eyes but you are not willing to justify or explain why it is.

It is abuse because you do not agree with the practice. The players do it of their own free will, so why are you not criticising the players who are the real culprits in this, all they have to do is say 'no thanks I have already made my decision who I wish to play for'. Of the players to have represented Australia how many did not learn their RL at junior levels in Australia ? Now compare that with Australian citizens who lerarnt to play RL in Australia and developed by state school and the ARL that have represented other nations. Then tell me who is abusing the rules.