TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

HARDAKER BECOMES RHINOS NUMBER ONE

Rhinos media release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

England star Zak Hardaker has been rewarded for an outstanding season with the Champions in 2012 by being handed the coveted Leeds Rhinos number one squad number.

Hardaker has moved from the number four shirt he wore last season to the squad number worn by Brent Webb from 2007 until last season. As well as Webb, Hardaker follows in the footsteps of the likes of Richard Mathers, Gary Connolly, Francis Cummins and Iestyn Harris to wear the number one shirt. The four shirt is taken by new signing Joel Moon, who joined this week on a three year contract from Salford City Reds.

As a mark of the continuity within the Champions squad, there is only two more changes in the top twenty players. Teenage sensation Stevie Ward is elevated to 14 from 25 last season after an impressive debut season that saw him play in both the Challenge Cup Final and winning the Grand Final. Whilst new signing Mitch Achurch, who joins from Penrith Panthers, takes the 19 shirt vacated by Weller Hauraki.

Young German international centre Jimmy Keinhorst is promoted to 22 however the club have kept the number 25 shirt vacant and will allocate it after the pre-season programme to one of the young players training with the first team during the winter.

Commenting on the squad Head Coach Brian McDermott said, “Zak thoroughly deserves his promotion having been outstanding for us at full back last season. He continued that great form with England and I am sure he can kick on again next season.

“Likewise Stevie Ward impressed everyone at the club last season and has progressed immensely in his first full time season. Jimmy Keinhorst will be even stronger with the experience he gained last season in Super League and there is strong competition within the group as a whole,” added McDermott.

The squad list in full is:
1 Zak Hardaker
2 Ben Jones-Bishop
3 Kallum Watkins
4 Joel Moon
5 Ryan Hall
6 Danny McGuire
7 Rob Burrow
8 Kylie Leuluai
9 Paul McShane
10 Jamie Peacock
11 Jamie Jones-Buchanan
12 Carl Ablett
13 Kevin Sinfield
14 Stevie Ward
15 Brett Delaney
16 Ryan Bailey
17 Ian Kirke
18 Chris Clarkson
19 Mitch Achurch
20 Darrell Griffin
21 Richard Moore
22 Jimmy Keinhorst
23 Brad Singleton
24 Liam Hood

Phil Daly
Media and PR Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Well done to Zac. I never doubted for a minute that he would be Leeds first choice No1.
Those of us who first saw him playing in the academy realised his tenure at Fev was always going to be short. A real talent. Thankfully, he signed a long contract which meant we got a fat fee for him that is virtually unheard of in recent times.

Well done Zac lad.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#3 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,862 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

I was starting to worry about the Rhinos, not having seen one of their press releases on here for nearly 24 hours.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#4 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

The squad list in full is:
1 Zak Hardaker
2 Ben Jones-Bishop
3 Kallum Watkins
4 Joel Moon
5 Ryan Hall
6 Danny McGuire
7 Rob Burrow
8 Kylie Leuluai
9 Paul McShane
10 Jamie Peacock
11 Jamie Jones-Buchanan
12 Carl Ablett
13 Kevin Sinfield
14 Stevie Ward
15 Brett Delaney
16 Ryan Bailey
17 Ian Kirke
18 Chris Clarkson
19 Mitch Achurch
20 Darrell Griffin
21 Richard Moore
22 Jimmy Keinhorst
23 Brad Singleton
24 Liam Hood

No it's not the "full squad"

20 Darrell Griffin
21 Richard Moore
22 Jimmy Keinhorst
23 Brad Singleton
24 Liam Hood

are all Hunslet players shurely???

#5 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm a big fan of Ben jones-bishop and always thought he was being groomed for the rhinos #1 shirt, what do the rhinos fans think his best position is? Also Zak hardaker is a tremendous talent and another exciting young English back, the future looks bright for England.

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Zac, BJB and Watkins are not just good players, but really elegant runners. Together, they remind me of the Cronulla backs in the ET era, all of whom seemed to have a relaxed and smooth running style.

#7 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Zac, BJB and Watkins are not just good players, but really elegant runners. Together, they remind me of the Cronulla backs in the ET era, all of whom seemed to have a relaxed and smooth running style.

All of them have some serious wheels too.

Remains to be seen which Moon turns up at Leeds but must say the Rhinos have a pretty handy looking backline for next season and will score plenty of tries. Don't think Leeds will be champions from 5th next season, 3rd at worst for me.

Good for the sport though, gives someone else the opportunity to do it.

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm a big fan of Ben jones-bishop and always thought he was being groomed for the rhinos #1 shirt, what do the rhinos fans think his best position is? Also Zak hardaker is a tremendous talent and another exciting young English back, the future looks bright for England.

I'd always thought he would be the next full back, and was surprised to see Hardaker there when Webb got injured. I'd expected to see BJB at 1 and Hardaker moved from 4 to 2. How wrong was I?!

Don't think Leeds will be champions from 5th next season, 3rd at worst for me.

I spoke to Big Mac at the champions' homecoming thing a few weeks ago and asked him to win from 8th, just to wind people up :)
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#9 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Tomkins is under pressure if he wants his FB position

Zak is a wonderful player, and like Sam a pleasure to watch.

Great news for England.

#10 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

I was starting to worry about the Rhinos, not having seen one of their press releases on here for nearly 24 hours.

That's a shame you must have missed their Black Friday sale announcement.

Anything I can get you? ;-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

OH yes wheres Wendell?I miss all the civic news in the Warrington area :rolleyes:
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK