RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

FIXTURES

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Why would I come all the way from the USA if I didn't like what I saw? I like what I see. I don't like it as much as I did in the 60s. No scrums means no moves from scrums, and in my opinion, that was an area the Lions excelled at, and it made it a more creative, skillful and exciting game. When competitive scrums went away and tackles were limited, the game changed into a lesser but still watchable game. And I'll always be a big Lions fan even if they switched to RU!

Well said Geoff! Sock it to 'em baby!

#42 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I like today's rugby better than the 60's, as I wasn't there...

Now that doesn't make any sense does it? How can you say you "like today's rugby better than the '60s, as I wasn't there..."

You can't compare today's fare with the '60s fare if you were not there (because it was before your time?), it simply can't be done, unless you've seen loads of old film footage and videos from that era.

#43 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Why would I come all the way from the USA if I didn't like what I saw? I like what I see. I don't like it as much as I did in the 60s. No scrums means no moves from scrums, and in my opinion, that was an area the Lions excelled at, and it made it a more creative, skillful and exciting game. When competitive scrums went away and tackles were limited, the game changed into a lesser but still watchable game. And I'll always be a big Lions fan even if they switched to RU!

I wouldn't!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#44 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

I knew that would get a response!
See you in 2013!
Posted Image

#45 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Thanks! Great stuff! There is hope! But did I see several forward passes? And not one move from a scrum?

Thats three minutes from several hours of stuff from this man alone
Darren Lockyer john Ferguson Brett Kenny Greg inglis Anthony minicello JohnathonThurston are pretty creative pretty awesome players off the top of my head.
We should learn and embrace their play. Its better than ours.
I much prefer it when you lot reminisce about the 60s. It's heart warming interesting and enlightening.

Edited by mark richardson, 01 December 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#46 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thats three minutes from several hours of stuff from this man alone
Darren Lockyer john Ferguson Brett Kenny Greg inglis Anthony minicello JohnathonThurston are pretty creative pretty awesome players off the top of my head.
We should learn and embrace their play. Its better than ours.
I much prefer it when you lot reminisce about the 60s. It's heart warming interesting and enlightening.

OK!
I did actually see RL in Oz many years ago, at the North Sydney Oval and Mal Meninga played that day. What an experience!
And my all time lions memory is Lions V Oz, 2-2 at Station Road!
Got to go Man U are on here live!
Sorry Spelly!
Posted Image

#47 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

In the latest issue (No 41) of the Rugby League Journal in the "Dedications" section at the bottom of page 3 we find the following entry.

"In memory of British Rugby League before it was Aussie-fied (K. Bryant)"

How very true, it's sad to say.

#48 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjMcRNOPYM

I saved you the trouble Keith....enjoy.

Great stuff yes, but, it's the exception rather than the rule. Notice how the fast attacking runs are so obviously enhanced by the almost total absence of any proper defending.

#49 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjMcRNOPYM

I saved you the trouble Keith....enjoy.

Great stuff yes, but, it's the exception rather than the rule. And it's quite obvious that the fast attacking play in enhanced by the almost non existent defending by the opposition.

#50 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Well said Geoff! Sock it to 'em baby!

Seems you don't mind 'americanisms' Keith!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#51 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Great stuff yes, but, it's the exception rather than the rule. And it's quite obvious that the fast attacking play in enhanced by the almost non existent defending by the opposition.

It really isn't the exception but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#52 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 900 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Now that doesn't make any sense does it? How can you say you "like today's rugby better than the '60s, as I wasn't there..."

You can't compare today's fare with the '60s fare if you were not there (because it was before your time?), it simply can't be done, unless you've seen loads of old film footage and videos from that era.

That's my point. It's a pointless argument. It's all opinion at the end of the day, and I can't have one on rugby that was played 20-30 years before I was around. So obviously I'm going to think today's rugby is better. I don't think Swinton are in a better position (obviously). Maybe that's where the opinion is created, because the Lions are now in the second tier, maybe Leeds/Wigan/Wire fans might have something good to say about rugby today.

But the point has been made after a fixture announcement? It's moaning for the sake of it. A point that Mark made a while back, start a new topic if you want to preach to us how good rugby was "back in the day", so I can ignore it.

Good point with the Americanism as well (no offence Geoff, I have nothing against 'isms, American or otherwise)

#53 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

Seems you don't mind 'americanisms' Keith!

As long as they're kept to a minimum. I think people hate Americanisms because they intrude into our very own version of the English language (British English) the same any other 'ism' from another country/language/culture would do also. Therefore, it's not because they're American isms, it's because they're not our isms, they're foreign ones, do you see the point I'm trying to make? The USA is such a huge player on the world stage it's bound to creep into everybody else's 'backyard' culturally and linguistically, but hopefully not to the extent it swamps others. When I said 'sock it to 'em baby' I said it because Geoff is from the other side of the 'pond' and I thought it would convey a hint of humour for him. Had he not been from there, I would not have used such words of course.

What really annoys me is when you see or hear non British 'isms' or terminology used in the UK media. Only the other day I was collecting a prescription for someone and the assistant asked me for the person's 'last name'.

#54 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

In the latest issue (No 41) of the Rugby League Journal in the "Dedications" section at the bottom of page 3 we find the following entry.

"In memory of British Rugby League before it was Aussie-fied (K. Bryant)"

How very true, it's sad to say.

Haven't got mine yet. Of course it comes by packet steamer and dog sled! :D
Posted Image

#55 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

As long as they're kept to a minimum. I think people hate Americanisms because they intrude into our very own version of the English language (British English) the same any other 'ism' from another country/language/culture would do also. Therefore, it's not because they're American isms, it's because they're not our isms, they're foreign ones, do you see the point I'm trying to make? The USA is such a huge player on the world stage it's bound to creep into everybody else's 'backyard' culturally and linguistically, but hopefully not to the extent it swamps others. When I said 'sock it to 'em baby' I said it because Geoff is from the other side of the 'pond' and I thought it would convey a hint of humour for him. Had he not been from there, I would not have used such words of course.

What really annoys me is when you see or hear non British 'isms' or terminology used in the UK media. Only the other day I was collecting a prescription for someone and the assistant asked me for the person's 'last name'.

Personally I abhor the term "it's a big ask"! What the feck does that mean?
Our own language is of course based on isms from all over Europe, including Latin French and German. It is a "fixture" of out past.
See, I even stayed on topic!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#56 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Personally I abhor the term "it's a big ask"! What the feck does that mean?
Our own language is of course based on isms from all over Europe, including Latin French and German. It is a "fixture" of out past.
See, I even stayed on topic!

I had to have someone explain to me what "it's gone pear-shaped" meant!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users