Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oxford RL website

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Wasn't criticising Akkies so much as Parksider's suggesation that you're the way forward for your junior work.

No I wasn't suggesting that Mr. B. I was suggesting that attempts to recreate the past were futile, costly and getting a bit boring. The advent of amateur RL played for fun in a vibrant manner in one time areas that were union only is the way forward if you have the energy to go for it. Akkies are exhilerating, as for recreating Bramley? No thanks.

Mr. Potts did speak of the possibility of raising a junior section. I'd like to think our area would do well as they are all Leeds RL mad yet the kids end up in Union junior teams and many who don't like RU just go play soccer.

I've never pushed this point with Mr. P as he works hard as it is. It's unfair to do so.

Edited by The Parksider, 26 November 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#22 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I haven't been involved with the Akkies for a long while, Parky, so can't really comment specifically.

You're right to point out that there are loads of kids round Cookridge/Horsforth/Bramhope who are crazy about RL but end up playing RU. It doesn't appear that there are as many adults in the Local area who have the time/inclination to make it happen though.

North Leeds Leopards have created the perfect blueprint in Moortown and I hear there's a new club up and running at Bedquilts in Adel, so it can be done.

Horsforth (and its adjacent suburbs) remains the biggest black hole for junior rugby league in Leeds though, given its size and relative affluence.

Maybe you could be the man to make it happen, Parky???!!!

Edited by Pottsy, 26 November 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#23 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Ps, what was this thread about again???

:)

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

I haven't been involved with the Akkies for a long while, Parky, so can't really comment specifically.

You're right to point out that there are loads of kids round Cookridge/Horsforth/Bramhope who are crazy about RL but end up playing RU. It doesn't appear that there are as many adults in the Local area who have the time/inclination to make it happen though.

North Leeds Leopards have created the perfect blueprint in Moortown and I hear there's a new club up and running at Bedquilts in Adel, so it can be done.

Horsforth (and its adjacent suburbs) remains the biggest black hole for junior rugby league in Leeds though, given its size and relative affluence.

Maybe you could be the man to make it happen, Parky???!!!

I wish Mr. P that's why I don't say too much, best to either step in and do it or support those that want to do it. I had many years running and assisting running open age and junior soccer. My friends and my kid preferred soccer.

And that is the problem. It's a minority sport and whilst people in the big game of soccer easily drift into running clubs and teams there's very few equivalents to run amateur RL.

That core problem is something I posted some time back and felt that Leeds Rhinos and the local DO's could try to organise something themselves and from that ask local parents to join in.

I think I was told they could not do this sort of thing at the time? Anyone know???

As for what is this thread about, it's about RL developing, hope you don't want to put discussions like this into a straightjacket? It's like having to go into another room to chat if you stop talking about the same narrow thing! :D