League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Do you feel any allegiances towards County?

discussiondebate counties flags

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Like a lot of misty-eyed celticism the romance for it probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s.

If you say so.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Bit confusing in Cumbria. This was the flag of Cumberland
Posted Image

When the counties were messed about with in the seventies, the Cumbria County Council produced this flag for Cumbria
Posted Image

But I've never seen it flown, so not quite sure what the county flag is now.

As for Hertfordshire, where I live now, I often wondered why they had waves in the background, as we are a fair bit off the sea.
Then I found out it represented the 'eight mighty rivers' that flow through the county.
Posted Image

As for feeling alegiance to one county or another, for some reason that I can't put into words I am fiercely proud and protective towards my county of birth, Cumbria, but feel little towards the county that I moved to, Herts, and have lived in for most of my life (but to make it even more weird, I don't think I would move back up to Cumbria and leave the life I have down here in Hertfordshire.)

Edited by Exiled Townie, 26 November 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

This is the map of British counties from when I were a lad. The bit of Cheshire that touches Yorkshire, that is now Derbyshire is there, as is "part of Flint" between Cheshire and Shropshire - I never understood that. Plus of course Yorkshire impinging on Cumbria at Sedberg and on Lancashire in the Lancaster area and around Oldham. I presume Rutland is on there too.
BTW the Notts flag will annoy the many people form Yorkshire who claim Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman.

I think the naming of Doncasters airport was more annoying to the local Tykes than Nottingham claiming Mr Hood.

Edited by Marauder, 26 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#24 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Taking all this into consideration I ask you:
  • Are you proud of the region/county you come from? Yes - Staunchly Lancastrian. We industrialised, computerised and modernised the world you know.
  • What future is there for the Counties – should more power be delegated out of Westminster? No.
  • Would you ever like Counties to be officially recognised with quite a bit of power (less than Welsh Assembly level)? No
  • Do you like the differences between cities and counties and areas in our country? Yes - the variation is inspiring.
  • Or do you think it’s inevitable that just like the World is getting smaller (globalisation) our country is getting smaller too? I travel a lot for work and have to suffer 'internationalised business environments' (hotels/airports etc) and it lacks soul. As the world becomes more 'globalised', individuality of places becomes more precious. In one week I went to Pontypool and Istanbul. They weren't similar at all.
  • What do you think of governments and bodies - like the Welsh government for instance - that are trying to preserve their independent culture, traditions and even - despite being next door to the home of the world’s most spoken language – their national tongue? I think it's natural to do that, gives people a vital sense of identity and belonging. Was speaking to a Turkish client who came to the UK for the first time a month ago. Her first experience of UK business was an engineering works in Darlington. She said she had to stop the meeting after ten minutes to ask if they were actually speaking English, because she couldn't understand a word they were saying.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Bit confusing in Cumbria. This was the flag of Cumberland
Posted Image

Must be comforting for Lancastrians to know that they are hemmed in by the White Rose.

;) :D

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

If it's not from Yorkshire,it's not worth knowing about :ph34r:
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#27 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Like a lot of misty-eyed celticism the romance for it probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s.

Like the kilt, invented by an English fella in the 18th century.

Edited by Just Browny, 26 November 2012 - 07:16 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#28 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Must be comforting for Lancastrians to know that they are hemmed in by the White Rose.
;) :D

If it's not from Yorkshire,it's not worth knowing about :ph34r:

Roses!! Roses?? They are Parnassus Flowers, nowt so common as roses please.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#29 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

The flag of somewhere that existed between 1974 and 1996 is unlikely to linger too long in the mind.

I'll be accused of getting into pedant mode again, but Gwent still exists.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'll be accused of getting into pedant mode again, but Gwent still exists.

As anything other than a 'ceremonial county' or whatever they're called?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#31 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,956 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:04 PM

The current weather conditions are giving everyone the chance to know what it feels like to be a Lancastrian for a few days.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#32 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

The current weather conditions are giving everyone the chance to know what it feels like to be a Lancastrian for a few days.

And I don't like it!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#33 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Its Lancashire day today apparently, still awaiting confirmation if its going to be celebrated in "Greater Manchester"!

#34 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

I was born in Salford, Lancashire*, grew up in Greater Manchester, spent most of my working life in Middlesex, and now live in EAST Sussex.

*Salford was in Lancashire up until Gtr M/cr was introduced, I still put it on official forms when it asks for my Place of Birth, & got a nasty letter back from Passport Agency when I renewed last, I wrote back to them and informed them in words of few letters that when I was born (50 years ago) Salford WAS still in Lancashire.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

http://www.gwent.police.uk/

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

http://www.gwent.police.uk/

I just hope they don't want to start another war with West Mercia.
- Severus, July 2012

#37 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I just hope they don't want to start another war with West Mercia.

Hardly, the Welshmen who fought at Rorkes Drift were, part of the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment. It later changed its name to the South Wales Borderers.

Besides, Glamorgan's best cricket captain was Ossie Wheatley, who came from Warwickshire. Not that he ever went back, obviously.

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,166 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hardly, the Welshmen who fought at Rorkes Drift were, part of the 2nd Warwickshire Regiment. It later changed its name to the South Wales Borderers.

Besides, Glamorgan's best cricket captain was Ossie Wheatley, who came from Warwickshire. Not that he ever went back, obviously.

Glamorgan is not Gwent. The South Wales Borderers called Brecon home. Brecon is not in Gwent.

West Mercia does not include Warwickshire.
- Severus, July 2012

#39 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,191 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Glamorgan is not Gwent. The South Wales Borderers called Brecon home. Brecon is not in Gwent.

West Mercia does not include Warwickshire.

The South Wales Borderers recruiting office was in Newport.
The overwhelming majority of the soldiers came from the valleys of Gwent and Glamorgan. If they had recruited from Brecon, Merioneth and Radnor, they probaby wouldn't even have enough men to half-occupy the barracks there, let alone do their other duties.
Glamorgan CCC represents all of Welsh cricket.
Offa's Dyke was built by the King of Mercia whose lands included the current area of Warwickshire. He wasn't just the King of West Mercia.

Oh, and

'Yeah whatever'

#40 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Not only Welsh, they included a Gloucester man, Pvt Henry Hook who won a VC are Rorkes Drift and poorly portrayed in the film (he was not a drunkard).
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users