Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Do you feel any allegiances towards County?

discussiondebate counties flags

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,520 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Not only Welsh, they included a Gloucester man, Pvt Henry Hook who won a VC are Rorkes Drift and poorly portrayed in the film (he was not a drunkard).

Though brilliantly played by Richard Booth in the film.

Look here you: -
- every top notch action film needs a character who's a rogue that achieves redemption.
- Zulu was produced by Stanley Baker who was from Ferndale. He knew that all Welshmen are fundamentally nice and, as he will have supported Pontypridd, he was never going to pass up the golden opportunity to make the Gloucester man look bad.
;) :D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#42 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Though brilliantly played by Richard Booth in the film.

Look here you: -
- every top notch action film needs a character who's a rogue that achieves redemption.
- Zulu was produced by Stanley Baker who was from Ferndale. He knew that all Welshmen are fundamentally nice and, as he will have supported Pontypridd, he was never going to pass up the golden opportunity to make the Gloucester man look bad.
;) :D

:D

Richard Booth's Gloucester accent sounded very much like a cockney though :angry:

Edited by Severus, 27 November 2012 - 04:06 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#43 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Bit confusing in Cumbria. This was the flag of Cumberland
Posted Image

When the counties were messed about with in the seventies, the Cumbria County Council produced this flag for Cumbria
Posted Image

But I've never seen it flown, so not quite sure what the county flag is now.

As for Hertfordshire, where I live now, I often wondered why they had waves in the background, as we are a fair bit off the sea.
Then I found out it represented the 'eight mighty rivers' that flow through the county.
Posted Image

As for feeling alegiance to one county or another, for some reason that I can't put into words I am fiercely proud and protective towards my county of birth, Cumbria, but feel little towards the county that I moved to, Herts, and have lived in for most of my life (but to make it even more weird, I don't think I would move back up to Cumbria and leave the life I have down here in Hertfordshire.)

Top flag is Cumbria and number 13 on the original list is them farm folk from down the lakes,Westmorland.
The old Cumberland flag (not sure how old) was
Posted Image

#44 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Top flag is Cumbria and number 13 on the original list is them farm folk from down the lakes,Westmorland.
The old Cumberland flag (not sure how old) was
Posted Image

Has a Scottish/Shetland and Greek feel to it - and much better than the more modern designs.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#45 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Like the kilt, invented by an English fella in the 18th century.

Like many Anglo-Saxon myths, " probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s"! :D

#46 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

As anything other than a 'ceremonial county' or whatever they're called?

The Welsh counties are "preserved" for ceremonial/lieutenancy/shrievalty purposes, but isn't this really what counties are for (as opposed to acting as one basis for local administration)?.

#47 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I love flags, especially old ones
Has anyone got a link of where to find that map of the UK that had John Bull as England and a very tartan, Scottish looking Scot as Scotland etc, please?

#48 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

It isn't really for me, as a citizen of Scotland

Aren't you a citizen of a city and a national of a country?

(Sorry, I thought Id start early before the usual hair splitting, "actually, Great Britain includes the archipelligo of the Scilly Isles but not the crown dependancy of Rockall" etc and seeing as there is no Isle of Man on the map, beautiful though it is)

#49 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

I was born in Salford, Lancashire*, grew up in Greater Manchester, spent most of my working life in Middlesex, and now live in EAST Sussex.

*Salford was in Lancashire up until Gtr M/cr was introduced, I still put it on official forms when it asks for my Place of Birth, & got a nasty letter back from Passport Agency when I renewed last, I wrote back to them and informed them in words of few letters that when I was born (50 years ago) Salford WAS still in Lancashire.

That was what I thought, too. I still do, but I've checked my birth certificate and it states "Birth in the Sub-District of SALFORD WEST in the COUNTY BOROUGH OF SALFORD", with no mention at all of Lancashire anywhere on the document. (Note: The capitalised words are stamped onto the form, the others are pre-printed.) I feel strangely disappointed now. I AM A LANCASTRIAN!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#50 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

That was what I thought, too. I still do, but I've checked my birth certificate and it states "Birth in the Sub-District of SALFORD WEST in the COUNTY BOROUGH OF SALFORD", with no mention at all of Lancashire anywhere on the document. (Note: The capitalised words are stamped onto the form, the others are pre-printed.) I feel strangely disappointed now. I AM A LANCASTRIAN!

That is because Salford, as it was a county borough, was, in effect, a county in terms of local government services (including civil registration). For all other purposes - ceremonial, lieutenancy, shrievalty, ALLEGIANCE! - Salford was in Lancashire at that time.

#51 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

That is because Salford, as it was a county borough, was, in effect, a county in terms of local government services (including civil registration). For all other purposes - ceremonial, lieutenancy, shrievalty, ALLEGIANCE! - Salford was in Lancashire at that time.

Wonderful words! "Shrievalty" and "Allegiance"! And Bleep's point is correct - no amount of Boundary Commission tinkering can change the fact that when he was born, he was born in Salford, which was in Lancashire. Whether it is now or not is irrelevant.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#52 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Aren't you a citizen of a city and a national of a country?

I'm just outside the boundary of the city of Perth. I'm a citizen of Scotland and the UK.

#53 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

The current weather conditions are giving everyone the chance to know what it feels like to be a Lancastrian for a few days.

Not sure how a bit inclement weather can make you develop an, entirely merited, inferiority complex towards your neighbour immediately to the east.

LUNEW.jpg

#54 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Like many Anglo-Saxon myths, " probably dates back no further than the start of the 1800s"! :D

Most of the UK's pageantry and ancient tradition can be blamed on Prince Albert, I believe.

The very idea of a unified Scottish people starts just before then.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#55 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Most of the UK's pageantry and ancient tradition can be blamed on Prince Albert, I believe.

The very idea of a unified Scottish people starts just before then.

Nah, we were still 'North British' at that time. :rolleyes:

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

Nah, we were still 'North British' at that time. :rolleyes:

Nah, just busy killing each other at Culloden.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#57 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

im yorkshire first and formost and i suppose that makes me english but its only yorkshire i feel any aligance to in my heart.
my son and his wife who had been living in the usa for 3 years came back to yorkshire so my grandson could be born in yorkshire and his wife loves the county so much they have moved here back for good now..

after all theres only 3 kinds of people in the world those born in yorkshire, those that wish they were born in yorkshire and those that dont count.

its also a fact that if hitler had come to yorkshire instead of liverpool there would have been no 2nd world war as he would have soon realised there was already a master race there called yorkshire folk
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#58 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

im yorkshire first and formost and i suppose that makes me english but its only yorkshire i feel any aligance to in my heart.
my son and his wife who had been living in the usa for 3 years came back to yorkshire so my grandson could be born in yorkshire and his wife loves the county so much they have moved here back for good now..

after all theres only 3 kinds of people in the world those born in yorkshire, those that wish they were born in yorkshire and those that dont count.

its also a fact that if hitler had come to yorkshire instead of liverpool there would have been no 2nd world war as he would have soon realised there was already a master race there called yorkshire folk

Looks like the discussion endeth there folks.

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#59 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

But their spelling (they're not there) and lack of appropriate capital letters proves otherwise.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#60 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

People often move away from Yorkshire and then move back because the modern world scares them :P
Fides invicta triumphat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users