Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who would have thought it in professional rugby league?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Starting with local matches (potentially evenly matched as well) is exactly what I would have done.

The new clubs need to hit the ground running in terms of publicity and this helps a lot in that.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#22 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'll take that bet.

Come back in 2 seasons then with your tenner

#23 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

My money is on 5 of those sides pulling out or folding within 2 years

The RFL wanted Coventry in but they said they weren't ready and good on them for sticking with their guns. Don't forget though, none of the new sides are really brand new to their areas. RL has been played in Oxford and Cheltenham since the late 1990s at community level and Hemel of course since 1981. And all three have won titles in the last two years. These new clubs are built on solid foundations and lots of people have worked hard to bring them to light.

First pro league in RL without a Yorkshire side too. Shows the game is spreading beyond its original roots.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#24 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

The RFL wanted Coventry in but they said they weren't ready and good on them for sticking with their guns. Don't forget though, none of the new sides are really brand new to their areas. RL has been played in Oxford and Cheltenham since the late 1990s at community level and Hemel of course since 1981. And all three have won titles in the last two years. These new clubs are built on solid foundations and lots of people have worked hard to bring them to light.

First pro league in RL without a Yorkshire side too. Shows the game is spreading beyond its original roots.

Didn't even realise that about Yorkshire.

It's this division that's keeping my thoughts positive on RL after mine and other clubs financial worries in SL over recent years.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#25 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

In the early years of the Northern Union there was a professional Lancashire Senior Competition with no Yorkshire clubs in (though one year it had Hull KR for some bizarre reason). Oxford have no juniors and the open age side nearly collapsed in 2011 but the new club seem well run.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

In the early years of the Northern Union there was a professional Lancashire Senior Competition with no Yorkshire clubs in (though one year it had Hull KR for some bizarre reason). Oxford have no juniors and the open age side nearly collapsed in 2011 but the new club seem well run.

There was also a professional Yorkshire Senior competition with no Lancashire teams in it. The trophies for winning these leagues were one of the famous four trophies which were only ever won in the same season by Hunslet, Swinton and maybe Huddersfield. The other three were the Yorks or Lancs Cup, the RL championship and the Challenge Cup.

There was an actual league table for each league which was confined to fixtures against other teams in the county. There were 6 inter county fixtures per team each year and those, combined with the county league results produced the RL Championship table.

The anomaly was that there were not enough clubs in Lancashire so one Yorkshire team played in the Lancashire league every season, not always the same club, it rotated.

So some kind of Conference system is nothing new to Rugby League.