Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who would have thought it in professional rugby league?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Starting with local matches (potentially evenly matched as well) is exactly what I would have done.

The new clubs need to hit the ground running in terms of publicity and this helps a lot in that.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#22 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'll take that bet.

Come back in 2 seasons then with your tenner

#23 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

My money is on 5 of those sides pulling out or folding within 2 years

The RFL wanted Coventry in but they said they weren't ready and good on them for sticking with their guns. Don't forget though, none of the new sides are really brand new to their areas. RL has been played in Oxford and Cheltenham since the late 1990s at community level and Hemel of course since 1981. And all three have won titles in the last two years. These new clubs are built on solid foundations and lots of people have worked hard to bring them to light.

First pro league in RL without a Yorkshire side too. Shows the game is spreading beyond its original roots.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#24 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

The RFL wanted Coventry in but they said they weren't ready and good on them for sticking with their guns. Don't forget though, none of the new sides are really brand new to their areas. RL has been played in Oxford and Cheltenham since the late 1990s at community level and Hemel of course since 1981. And all three have won titles in the last two years. These new clubs are built on solid foundations and lots of people have worked hard to bring them to light.

First pro league in RL without a Yorkshire side too. Shows the game is spreading beyond its original roots.

Didn't even realise that about Yorkshire.

It's this division that's keeping my thoughts positive on RL after mine and other clubs financial worries in SL over recent years.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#25 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,747 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

In the early years of the Northern Union there was a professional Lancashire Senior Competition with no Yorkshire clubs in (though one year it had Hull KR for some bizarre reason). Oxford have no juniors and the open age side nearly collapsed in 2011 but the new club seem well run.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

In the early years of the Northern Union there was a professional Lancashire Senior Competition with no Yorkshire clubs in (though one year it had Hull KR for some bizarre reason). Oxford have no juniors and the open age side nearly collapsed in 2011 but the new club seem well run.

There was also a professional Yorkshire Senior competition with no Lancashire teams in it. The trophies for winning these leagues were one of the famous four trophies which were only ever won in the same season by Hunslet, Swinton and maybe Huddersfield. The other three were the Yorks or Lancs Cup, the RL championship and the Challenge Cup.

There was an actual league table for each league which was confined to fixtures against other teams in the county. There were 6 inter county fixtures per team each year and those, combined with the county league results produced the RL Championship table.

The anomaly was that there were not enough clubs in Lancashire so one Yorkshire team played in the Lancashire league every season, not always the same club, it rotated.

So some kind of Conference system is nothing new to Rugby League.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users