TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

salfurd Roughyeds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
99 replies to this topic

#1 Karen88

Karen88
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

as expected :unsure:
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

#2 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2038]
Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

#3 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Now confirmed

#4 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

This will only benefit one club....Salford. By having this linkup will give them more credibility in trying to do what they have done for years, pillage the amateur scene in the Oldham area, and try and stop other clubs from approaching what they will now term 'Their Area'.
But the most alarming thing, is what input a certain person at Salford will have in this link up - I fear the worse.

#5 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

When I read this bearing in mind it was only confirming what we already new. I got the same feeling in the pit of my stomach, that I have got when it has been announced the club has a winding up order against it in the past.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

today we became a branch of another club............RIP ORLFC

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I can sum my feelings up in one word....Gutted.
People may say and think, and are quite entitled to say it shouldn't matter. But it will and does matter now. Salford have wanted this for years, the RFL have wanted this for years - the reason being? It gives Salford more credibilty, stabiltity for having a franchise based in the Manchester area.

What can Oldham gain apart from 5/6 fringe players from Salford? Not alot

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

its not fringe players mate...........

its the salford 20/21 year olds who are too old for the new under 19's....and are'nt good enough for super league yet...and might never will be....

our squad is already packed with kids that have'nt "made it"!!.........they've dropped down the league to have another crack at it...and now they are behind the salford lads who'll be the first names on the team sheet!!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

If they are too old for the 19s, and are being retained by Salford, they will be 'fringe' players, as they could have the potential to step up. Otherwise they would of been released without a thank you, goodbye - nothing. However, Oldham as a club should not be used for that purpose, especially as you have put it, have 'our' lads behind them in the pecking order.
The whole thing is a sell out, and if there was one benefit I could see in this venture, it would alter my views on where I stand presently. There is no benefit, but the writing was on the wall when Oldham announced the head coach, it was always going to happen. But if the master puppeteer from Salford has anything to do with set up, then it will end in a disaster.

#10 higgy

higgy
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

We all knew this was coming, but hoped it would not happen. I can see no benefit for Oldham at all and I for one (and I know several others) am not prepared to watch a Salford reserve side under the guise of Oldhams name.
I have been a supporter for over 50 years watched Oldham through some good and very bad times but never felt as disgusted as I do now with this venture.

This is like United and City, Wigan and Saints joining forces only on a lesser scale, supporters hate one another???

Hamilton has finally sold the club down the river. We all knew he was a Shylock but this proves it beyond doubt.

Call me pessamistic and I thought the appointment of Naylor was a good one at the time, but did Hamilton actually employ the two coaches (it seems to much of a coincidence that they are both Salfordites ) or was he told to do so by the RFL and the powers at Salford. Is it also a coincidence that some of the new players recruited are ex Salford????

Now it makes sense why Salford have been willing to donate to the Oldham cause from the Willows, so that Whitebank can become thier reserve ground.

R.I.P. Oldham Roughyeds.

#11 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

In a way, CH probably had no option.
The game is to blame, and the RFL/SL has backed every single club outside the top flight into a corner. With the reduction in funding for these clubs, it means that they have no real alternative to dance to the pipers tune. With the scrapping of the U23s, it proved that the game was going to the link up route. It stinks, and it is not in the games interest.
However, if all the clubs outside SL had struck together and voted as one, instead of individual cases, then they as a collective could have made a major dent in the development of the game and not been forced down this avenue.
It's double standards, in that they need the Championship Clubs and it's fans to make the forthcoming RLWC a success in that the reason England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland are rubbish is that player development has been stifled by the pathways introduced by people who simply do not have a clue.
Angry isn't a word I use often, and today I will use it plenty.

#12 roughyed

roughyed
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

This will take attendances down further from 350 to about 200 not enough to run a club on they have shot themselves in the foot,this will be the biggest mistake of the clubs history.

#13 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

You could be right Roughyed. Oldham did not need to go down this route, as player development was reaping it's rewards.
As the club could not run a 23s because it would of been us and Fetaherstone only, then the club in my opinion should of flung the buck back to the RFL. With the RFL not giving Oldham a platform to play the U23s, then the option of the Conference should of been explored. Yes, a clash of the amateur/pro ethos would rear its head, but tell me an amateur club that hasn't paid its players at some point.

#14 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I wonder if we can get Salford City Council to build our ground before Swinton's?

#15 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

This will take attendances down further from 350 to about 200 not enough to run a club on they have shot themselves in the foot,this will be the biggest mistake of the clubs history.

That's six from this household done I'm afraid - what a very sad day. RIP ORLFC

#16 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

It was always something lurking in the background that none of us Oldham fans wanted but certainly feared. I am not sure what this means to the club and it's future but I am trying to look at it with a positive view. It seems like all or most of the other CH & Ch1 clubs are paired with a SL club in some way. This menas that, if what is being said is true, the lower clubs will have the use of coaches, facilities and even medical professionals which the players can only benefit from. If all the clubs in our league will have this then the only way we can compete on a level playing field is to have the same and that means pairing with Salford.

It's not something that I am finding easy to take on but I will try and the next season will give us all a better idea of what this will mean going forward. I just hope it will be a triumph of hope over experience.

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

#17 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

It was always something lurking in the background that none of us Oldham fans wanted but certainly feared. I am not sure what this means to the club and it's future but I am trying to look at it with a positive view. It seems like all or most of the other CH & Ch1 clubs are paired with a SL club in some way. This menas that, if what is being said is true, the lower clubs will have the use of coaches, facilities and even medical professionals which the players can only benefit from. If all the clubs in our league will have this then the only way we can compete on a level playing field is to have the same and that means pairing with Salford.

It's not something that I am finding easy to take on but I will try and the next season will give us all a better idea of what this will mean going forward. I just hope it will be a triumph of hope over experience.
Perso

Same feeling here iam still going to buy my season ticket, its a shame so many will stop going just as the ground situation has some light at the end of the tunnel.

But its a personal choice not to go that i respect given the news.

Maybe its youthful ignorance and myself being naive but id rather see how it plays out

Edited by mackin89, 27 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#18 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

That's probably it for me and my lad too! It's sad after following the club for 40+ years but at least I've seen it through to the end!
Oldham is no more with this sad news!

#19 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Tony,
What can actually Salford offer us?
There league status states that their coaching staff isn't the best compared to other SL clubs.
They do not have any say with regards the use of the Stadium and why would we want to play any games there for that matter.
Their training faciltites are probably no better than ours since we have teamed up with OCL.
We have our own medical people i.e. physios etc who do a very good and professional job and hold the correct qualifications.
They as a club, go through more coaches in a season than a breakers yard so continutity is never an option at Salford.
There youth development is extremley poor compared to other SL clubs.
They have no money to invest, and I would guess our balance sheet looks like Rockerfella compared to Salfords.

Any other club, I could possibly see a slight benefit - even though it would be wrong. But Salford? It's a joke.

Salford get in return a free pass to pillage the amateur area in Oldham for talent, and make it more difficult for other clubs to come and do the same. A win win situation for Salford, Oldham have more to lose.

As a die hard fan, I have certainly watched my last game in this town.

Edited by oldhamer, 27 November 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#20 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Salfords old stand
Salfords old coaches
Salfords old players
What next Oldham Reds?
Count me out...I'm not watching that...it's a disgrace to the name of Oldham Rugby League football club....