RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

salfurd Roughyeds

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 beacs

beacs
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Well done Mr Chairman for the best decision to follow suit of all other clubs that are willing to benefit from Super Duper League , looking forward to watching some of these so called lads who just aint good enough (according to others) for a top level club , Oldham will benefit from experienced facilities at Salford and training regimes , the players , staff and club can be proud that the Oldham RLFC will not ##### DIE and Never Will just because we have linked up with a club , all clubs are doing it , all clubs are struggling financially , so ORLFC die hards give this a chance and make your comments after this season , other than support the team like you always have , i unfortunately couldnt make many games last year but damn sure gonna make the effort to go this season as all i see are exciting times and a promising future for Oldham RLFC .. Come on you Yeds , Come on you Yeds !!!!

"Come on you yeds , come on you yeds
just keep your bottle dont lose your heads
for 80 minutes we will let you know
its Oldham rugby here we go !!!"

#42 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

we would'nt be getting slammed buy rochdale or oxford.....have 4 or 5 super league kids is'nt going to be the difference!!

its teams with crafty pro's that get teams out of this league...not kids!

Its teams with motivated players that get out of this league, not young players with poor attitudes or teams with loads of pay cheque professionals!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#43 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

what changes is "his team" now has to contain the 4or5 salford players....if they are fit they have to play..thats the whole point of these link ups.....to bridge the gap between super league team academy set ups & super league...

if we don't select the salford lads theres no point of the agreement from a salford point of view....salford are'nt in this to help oldham..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#44 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

I just don't see Scott Naylor putting Salford players in if they are not good enough. Although he has a long history with Salford as does his assistant Spanner, he is his own man. And remember they did get rid of him. He owes them nothing. If they give him players that stregthen the squad great, if not he runs with what he has signed.

#45 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Of all the crises and traumas we have had to endure each year since 1997 I can't help but think this one is small beer in comparison . We have had virtually wall to wall positive news since last season but this all seems to have been forgotten due to one announcement which everyone has known has been coming for weeks . Talk of this being the demise of the club just seems to me to be hysteria whipped up for the most part by stay aways who seem to take great delight in rubbishing anything the club do .

I would rather we had remained a stand alone club but the decision has been taken to link up with Salford so lets just get on with making it work . My main objection was the effect that short term loans would have on team morale but we have been told that both clubs view long term deals , preferably season long loans , as the way forward so in effect those loan players will simply become part of our squad and will be picked solely on merit . What benefit is there to Salford if those players are selected to play each week even if their form does not warrant a place . They want these players to justify being retained by Salford and they can only do this by impressing week in week out . If they are not good enough to perform at CC1 level there's not much hope for them at SL level . So lets at least see who we get and how they and the team perform before we condemn the arrangement.

#46 Rochdale Roughyed

Rochdale Roughyed
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Devil's advocate here.

Assume we do well in Championship1 this year and get promotion. Assume we then do well for a couple of years in the Championship. Assume Salford continue to struggle and walk a thin line with their creditors......it could conceivably be the quickest way Oldham could get back into SL

OK, Whitebank could never be a part of that......but if we must partner with anyone, better a Salford than a Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Warrington.....

#47 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

On the surface to most fans it looks like nothing will really change, apart from the clubs 'sharing' resources, which can be a good thing given the right club. Salford haven't got the resources of clubs like Wigan, Saints, Warrington or Leeds. And with regards to the coaching setup on board at Salford, they cannot bring anything we do not, or had in the past. The same goes for other club resources. Yes, we could do with marketing alot more, but they will not get involved with anything that could allow potential fans/business suppport Oldham over Salford, as the latter will be their number one priority.

But it's the problem that lies beneath the surface that has been bubbling for years. The RFL and SL have wanted the clubs outside the top flight to feed the SL clubs, and making it more a closed shop than it already is. Areas that are are richer in talent than most SL clubs, Oldham being a prime example, are needed to plug the gaps missing at those clubs. What is certain happen, is that clubs in the Championship that 'share' resources will eventually play for nothing, as they will be exempt from the three year franchised rounds (even though no clubs outside SL will get promoted) - and that will happen.

I and another person on here has sat through hours upon hours of meetings with regards to player pathways, and the constant battle the RFL have fought to drain areas of resistance like Oldham to try and get the whole structure under the SL banner i.e. Salford/Huddersfield. And in the end they helped kill that off, along with the development pathyways from 11s to 14s. Now that phase two has been complete with a linkup with Salford, the RFL have now got what they have wanted for them and their Manchester franchised club - an area of rich talent, unlike the Salford area.

Edited by oldhamer, 28 November 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#48 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Living in Salford one aspect id like to point out is Salfords lack of presence in the area.

I really cant see them spreading their own gospel and overshadowing ORLFC in Oldham with marketing if they have little to show for it in their own back yard and as other had echoed i think the fact we have paired with one of the smaller SL clubs may be something more of a blessing rather than if we had paired with a club who could realistically target taking our support.

In terms of poaching players I know little on the recruitment process to comment but surely the towns talent has been poached for years since the original clubs demise. From an uneducated view i dont know how this announcement will have that much more impact.

#49 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

if we must??........the simple fact is we don't need to partner anyone

Devil's advocate here.

Assume we do well in Championship1 this year and get promotion. Assume we then do well for a couple of years in the Championship. Assume Salford continue to struggle and walk a thin line with their creditors......it could conceivably be the quickest way Oldham could get back into SL

OK, Whitebank could never be a part of that......but if we must partner with anyone, better a Salford than a Saints, Wigan, Leeds, Warrington.....

if we must?.........we actually don't thats the whole point

as part of the partnership.....it apparently gives oldham & its players better access to

the full-time club's strength and conditioning programmes, their medical expertise and their sales, marketing and commercial initiatives.

if salford have better training facilities than OCL's facilites dotted around oldham then i'll eat my hat

salford have a head conditioner,mark berry...sure full time players will benefit greatly from seeing him....but part time players who might only see him once a fortnight if they are lucky is'nt going to do much......infact id go as far to say our guys will find it more beneficial subscribing to mens health or mens fitness,eating correctly and training in the fantastic OCL centers......

salford have a club doctor & dentist............wow

as for the sales,marketing & commercial side of things.........he's some free advice to chris hamilton......getting whitebank upto scratch along with a winning side...and you'll double,probably treble last seasons average......without the need to sell the clubs soul to salford....

Edited by roughyedspud, 28 November 2012 - 09:11 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#50 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

as for the sales,marketing & commercial side of things.........he's some free advice to chris hamilton......getting whitebank upto scratch along with a winning side...and you'll double,probably treble last seasons average......without the need to sell the clubs soul to salford....

No better marketing than a winning side Spud. Also, they are not likely to engage businesses to support Oldham, when they can give it to their first priority, Salford.

Many moons ago, Huddersfield came on mass over the border and tried to set up links with every amateur club in the town, promising top class coaches coming down to do sessions etc, access to facilties etc etc. One club jumped on board, the rest saw straight through them. What they really wanted was two things, the approach to the clubs talent and the most important one, the target of the parents etc for season tickets, lottery draws etc. Did the Giants fulfill their linkup promise? Did they hell.
In other words, it was all one way - at it will be no different to this linkup. Salford with both feet in the door in Oldham will and can approach the clubs amateur clubs promising the same dream, in reality, they will deliver the same goods - a big fat nothing!

Look at Salfords amateur clubs... Langworthy (a limited youth section), Eccles (even smaller youth section) and Caddishead (even smaller). Folly Lane is classed Swinton.
Oldham have Oldham St Annes (teams at every age group), Waterhead (teams at every age group), Saddleworth (teams at every age group bar two). Sprinkle that with a team from Higginshaw, Fitton Hill and the newly formed Limehurst Lions. A rich picking of talent. And remember, Salford is a City.
Salford in their desperation over the years turned to Rochdale to fill their talent centres, and that didn't turn out as expected.

I think many will know that the passion I have for this club inside and out, but this decision has totally gutted me. If the linkup was with someone like Warrington, Leeds, Wigan or even Saints for matter, I could see a slight, only slight, however, benefit.

Edited by oldhamer, 28 November 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#51 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

we've signed our first salford player on a season long loan....19 year old hooker adam files......

you know what...if us and salford had just signed a basic "player loan agreement" where we take 3 or 4 of their brightest youngsters on season long loans...and they come here and fight for their position like everyone else...and left out all the other "partnership" nonsense.......then i don't think it would have kicked of as much as it has.........

OLDHAM RLFC

#52 Raff

Raff
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

I admire all the people who are looking on this positively-I genuinely hope that they`ll turn out to be right.But,with apologies to the `duck` comparison:if it looks like a stitch up,sounds like a stitch up,then in all probability it IS a stitch-up.
*The RFL have wanted this Australian structure for years:when they saw how unpopular it was,they went to it `undercover`.It`s all a means to an end for them
*One of the classic first steps to a full feeder club status is the link-up:when you want to buy a company in a friendly way,you often do it in steps,either putting your people in first or making sure that their systems/processes align with your own.Once the feeder structure is in,it`ll be impossible to get out of it.I really admire Featherstone for their stance on it.
*When you do this,you look for the added value the purchase will give you :having the Oldham `area`,for nothing,is a great `buy` for Salford.For `buy` and `purchase`,read `link-up` and `feeder club`.
*CH and,let`s be honest,Scott and Spanner as well, will be wanting to look after themselves-a job is a job.So,if it`s the only option on the table,as they see it ,then they`ll take it.I can`t blame them for this - money is money.
What I dislike is the way it`s been done :a `done` deal that was sold initially as something different.CH`s proving again his total lack of-I won`t say `care`-understanding of people who`ve supported the club for so long (and these are the people who are most pee`d off)..and his management of expectations is nil.
Ruffyed,as for the moans coming mainly from stay-aways,I think that you`ve read it wrong.

Edited by Raff, 28 November 2012 - 10:24 AM.

#53 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

jamie dallimore has answer a question prompted by me and said that scott naylor has full control of the squad and won't be dictated too by salford.....

OLDHAM RLFC

#54 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

jamie dallimore has answer a question prompted by me and said that scott naylor has full control of the squad and won't be dictated too by salford.....

Shocker! :D
Posted Image

#55 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

shut it you ;)

OLDHAM RLFC

#56 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

There will be no doubt that Naylor and Spanner will have total control of the team, and no coach should be dictated to on who or doesn't play. But it's not just about the 17 on duty that the problem lies, and people will support those players wholeheartedly. The problem lies within the cloud of the linkup and it's impact not just at pro level in the town, but within the amateur field as well.

#57 roughyed

roughyed
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

The club will be changing its name to become The Oldham Roughreds,and Whitebank will become the Weeping Willows Stadium.

#58 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Raff , I fully accept that some genuine supporters have some real concerns about this link-up and i will always appreciate their comments on this forum even if we disagree on a topic because the bottom line is we care about the club . However I did say ' for the most part' it was stay aways who were as usual anti everything the club does and I stand by this . They know who they are and they cannot or will not resist from jumping on every negative thread to justify their stay away stance .

#59 Raff

Raff
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ruffyed,fair comment and accepted.Have to say that I have agreed with most,if not all, of your previous comments (that I remember!!) on this site.In this one,though,I have to part opinion with you:what I would wish to happen is not what I can see will happen.
Eg:to pinch a phrase:Scott WOULD say that he has full control..what else is he going to say?
:how do we afford ,on our crowds (which will be lower than last year`s,in revenue if not in spectators),expenses for the owner,plus Scott plus Spanner.Simple business:if your revenue is reducing,you reduce your costs,not add to them.Or maybe one of them is doing it for free (genuine question,by the way,as I don`t know)?
:why not have,as Spud said, a player loan OK for the season?
And I agree that time will tell.I also agree that it should have been set out in a much better way but,at the end,that`s the perogative of the owner.
So,we`ll see.

Edited by Raff, 28 November 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#60 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

As I have already said i would have much preferred the club to remain stand alone but the club have taken the decision to link up with Salford so I can either live with that or spit my dummy out and refuse to go like the other stay aways . If it becomes apparent that Salford have undue influence over team selection and general running of the club I will maybe need to think again but I simply cannot believe that Scott Naylor and Lee Spencer are going to be anybodies Yes men . They simply don't come over as that sort of person . The club and most fans have been crying out for a professional coaching set up to bring the best out of the players and imo that is what we have now got and I for one am delighted by these appointments .I am not privy to their financial arrangements and they may not have come cheaply but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate . As we only effectively have a 20 man playing squad on the payroll ( I am assuming that Salford will continue to fund the players they loan to us ) maybe there was more scope within the budget to fund their appointments.

The first player to arrive from Salford as part of the deal is Adam Files and as I hoped this is on a season long loan basis . This has got to be an improvement on the last couple of years dealings when we never knew who would be the next short term loan signing , crisis management by any yardstick . If the other signings are on this basis at least the coach will know in advance who he has to pick from . The rest as they say is up to him . As a bonus Adam comes highly recommended so maybe this link up might not be as disastrous as we first feared .I know there are other issues which are of concern but in the final analysis it is how we perform on the pitch that will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether the link up has been successful or not .Time will tell but I am still optimistic for the season ahead ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users