salford may go pop yet....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#62 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

OLDHAM RL Club’s new head coach Scott Naylor has assured fans that he won’t be dictated to by anyone in his first appointment as man in charge.
“Trust me . . . I’m the boss,” was his message to those supporters who fear that partner-club Salford City Reds might want an unhealthy stake in team affairs at Whitebank.
Speaking publicly for the first time about the ground-breaking partnership, Naylor said the sole purpose of the link-up from the Oldham standpoint was to help Roughyeds to become a better club.
He added: “I would never stoop to anything that would harm the team, the players or the good name of the club that employs me.
“I would never be disrespectful to the Oldham club, or its supporters. People in Oldham need to trust me.
“Super League is the pinnacle of the sport in this country and only good can come from an arrangement in which one of its member clubs is going to help us.”
Naylor has already acquired the signature of one of the City Reds’ most promising young players, Adam Files, on a season-long loan.
He went on: “Salford played a huge part in my earlier career. I’ve known the club and the people there for years and, as you would expect, I feel comfortable dealing with them.
“However, Oldham supporters can be assured that Salford will have nothing to do with selection of the Roughyeds team, how we train, what game plans we employ or what our style will be.
“Those things are down to two men only — Spanner (his No 2 Lee Spencer) and me.
“Some of our rivals have similar arrangements — Rochdale with St Helens and NW Crusaders with Widnes Vikings — and I don’t want to see Oldham marooned behind the eight ball.
“We need to be operating on similar lines to the rest.
“The whole point of my being here, and everything we do as a squad over the next nine to ten months, is to get us into a higher division.
“Any help I can get, so long as it’s for the right reasons, I have to accept.”

Given the srength of feeling from supporters, the club obviously felt it needed to issue something. Perhaps CH should explain the detail of the agreement with Salford if there's nothing to be concerned about?

#63 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

it needed adressing

rumours of a new commercial manager are floating about too

OLDHAM RLFC

#64 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Wilkinson will not get involved with another club, and certainly not Oldham. The guy is trying to offload his beloved Salford, last thing he would want is to work at another club.
I had no concerns that Naylor would be the chief when it came to the team, its the other things that surround the linkup that could have more damaging impact not just at the club, but in general for the town of Oldham with regards to RL.

#65 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

If anyone thinks Super league U20's is better than CH1 then your kidding yourself.I can't see many of the Salford U20's making an impact at Oldham. We already have a number of good young lads with one or two years experience at this level and can push on.Very few lads particularly forwards can play SL in their teens or early 20's. I think this will just go to show how good the likes of Ward,Dally,Cookson,Langtree, Gilchrist and Joy are. Salford lads are in for a shock. I know it's not ideal but if everyone else is doing it what choice did we have.CH said he wanted lads on at least season loans which limites Salford influence.
One for all and all for the one

#66 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

my thoughts exactly.......SL kids are not going to be the deciding factor in who wins our league

we are verging on having too many youngester imo

OLDHAM RLFC

#67 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

The club will be changing its name to become The Oldham Roughreds,and Whitebank will become the Weeping Willows Stadium.

Love that one .................... its a cracker ...........ha ha ha
Posted Image

#68 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Wilkinson will not get involved with another club, and certainly not Oldham. The guy is trying to offload his beloved Salford, last thing he would want is to work at another club.
I had no concerns that Naylor would be the chief when it came to the team, its the other things that surround the linkup that could have more damaging impact not just at the club, but in general for the town of Oldham with regards to RL.

on the wilkinson rumour..........it may have legs,..he's getting rid of salford cos it's on its backside....other have said he's retiring....

but think about it a second.......going from being involved in RL day in day out for 30 years...to nothing would be difficult imo....

so getting involved in oldham as a commercial manager,working a couple of 3 days aweek and still,in a way,being involved in salford........it does'nt seem that far fetched imo..

saying that i'd love to be oldhams commercial manager...and i'd do it for a free season ticket & a free jersey every year .......lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#69 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Is it my suspicious mind, or could the RFL have engineered the demise of the Oldham Service Area, so Salford can walk in and run it. Therefore giving them a tick in the box for development?

#70 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Is it my suspicious mind, or could the RFL have engineered the demise of the Oldham Service Area, so Salford can walk in and run it. Therefore giving them a tick in the box for development?

If so, CH has played right into their hands by signing up to this 'partnership'.

#71 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

If so, CH has played right into their hands by signing up to this 'partnership'.

I do not think he can be blamed for this. The club offered facilities etc but were declined.

#72 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

We can come up with as many conspiracy theories as we like for this link up but maybe the simple truth is CH genuinely believes that this is the best way forward for the club.As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on this one ....only time will tell . If things start to go pear shaped we can all make our views known then as facts not theories but until then lets just give it the benefit of the doubt and get behind the team to help them get promotion to the Championship which is what most of us really want .

#73 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

I know lets do a a FC United and start a new club. Get new investors in and play at Boundary Park. Apply to go into CH1 and we will have a couple of good derby games for a year until the new club gets promoted ,

ha ha

#74 Shaw Lad

Shaw Lad
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I know lets do a a FC United and start a new club. Get new investors in and play at Boundary Park. Apply to go into CH1 and we will have a couple of good derby games for a year until the new club gets promoted ,

ha ha

Has daft as that sounds Ive thought about this a few times, and the more I think about it the more I think
its the best thing for the town and RL locally. Rugby Oldham and a few businessmen could surely put as
good a package together as Oxford and Gloucester have. Thoughs please.
Location. Shaw, t'uther side ert pennines.

#75 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Has daft as that sounds Ive thought about this a few times, and the more I think about it the more I think
its the best thing for the town and RL locally. Rugby Oldham and a few businessmen could surely put as

My thoughts, its a none starter. You would not even be given time of day by the RFL.

#76 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Who are these businessmen and why wouldn't they put money in the Oldham club that already exists?
Posted Image

#77 Shaw Lad

Shaw Lad
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

Who are these businessmen and why wouldn't they put money in the Oldham club that already exists?

You obviously have not met Chistopher Hamilton with asking a question like that. No one who as
ever had dealings with him can work with him. Hence him being on his own running the club.
Location. Shaw, t'uther side ert pennines.

#78 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

And the award for comedy question of the day goes to young Gavin.....brilliant!

#79 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

You obviously have not met Chistopher Hamilton with asking a question like that. No one who as
ever had dealings with him can work with him. Hence him being on his own running the club.

Why do you always conveniently forget Sean Whitehead?

#80 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Why do you always conveniently forget Sean Whitehead?

Come on SC, do you think it's fair for him to be tarred with the same brush? Is Sean actually even actually a shareholder and does anyone know what does he do in terms of running the business?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users