Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham /Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
835 replies to this topic

#1 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

It has been confirmed Oldham have sold their sole to Salford. http://www.roughyeds...reds/#more-7751

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

It has been confirmed Oldham have sold their sole to Salford. http://www.roughyeds...reds/#more-7751

Didn't realise Oldham were fishmongers.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Didn't realise Oldham were fishmongers.

:lol:
People called Romans they go the house

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

RIP ORLFC.............been a fan for 28 years......but im not going to support salford reserves...

and judging by the comments on the clubs facebook page neither are alot of people...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Suit yourselves. Whould you rather fall further behind Champs 1 clubs because you don't have a partnership with a SL club, or is it just because it's the Pinks?

Have you seen the regulations with regards to the number of players Oldham will be able to play from Salford?

Do you think your local players will be swamped with Pinks players and your local team might actually win something?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Suit yourselves. Whould you rather fall further behind Champs 1 clubs because you don't have a partnership with a SL club, or is it just because it's the Pinks?

Have you seen the regulations with regards to the number of players Oldham will be able to play from Salford?

Do you think your local players will be swamped with Pinks players and your local team might actually win something?

+1

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

id rather win the league ourselves than off the back of another club....

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

And people wonder why their clubs go to the wall :rolleyes:

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

The fans were more than happy to take the old stand from the Willows off them for Whitebank though. Fickle.

Good on Oldham I say. Hopefully it will help them slowly develop further on and more importantly off the field.
Posted Image

#10 Kent Roughyed

Kent Roughyed
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Not sure there was a genuine alternative Roughyedspud. The world is moving on, we move with it or get left behind forever. I will be watching the new season with an open mind and see how it progresses. I am confident that if we finally win promotion, not many Oldham fans will be complaining.

By the way, I am greatly encouraged by Scott Naylor's early communications and I for one am expecting us to finally achieve promotion in 2013.

#11 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Down with your logical thinking and levelheaded-ness! No need for that evil witchcraft around these parts. :angry:

Edited by HappyDave, 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#12 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

The club that will get most out of this agreement is Salford. They will probably now be able to ring fence the Oldham area as their recruitment ground. Which will deny young talented Oldhamers of having the choice of which club to go to.

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

The club that will get most out of this agreement is Salford. They will probably now be able to ring fence the Oldham area as their recruitment ground. Which will deny young talented Oldhamers of having the choice of which club to go to.

Why will it? Any player still has a choice to go to any club they wish (providing they are good enough).
Posted Image

#14 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

All SL towns are ring fenced so they are not supposed to recruit from anothers SL area. Oldham historically has provided players to the scholarships of Huddersfield, Leeds, St Helens, Wigan and Salford. With this agreement I suspect this will give Salford 1st dibs on any player produced by the Oldham Service Area. Oh wait! the Oldham Service Area is no more, maybe Oldham youths will be able to tag along to the Salford Service Area.

#15 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

All SL towns are ring fenced so they are not supposed to recruit from anothers SL area...

Can you please link me to the relevant document that states this?
Posted Image

#16 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

I was very disappointed when we failed to achieve promotion last year but was prepared to get along to at least some of the games next season. This news however is the worst possible and means I'll be calling it a day after 44 years of following my team home and away. I'm not prepared to watch players foisted onto us from the poorest team in Super League ahead of our own lads.
I wasn't exactly enamoured with the appointment of Naylor as coach and this just confirms the suspicions I had at the time!
At least I can say I watched my team through to the very end of it's existence!
RIP Oldham Roughyeds - it's been good while it lasted!

#17 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I was very disappointed when we failed to achieve promotion last year but was prepared to get along to at least some of the games next season. This news however is the worst possible and means I'll be calling it a day after 44 years of following my team home and away. I'm not prepared to watch players foisted onto us from the poorest team in Super League ahead of our own lads.
I wasn't exactly enamoured with the appointment of Naylor as coach and this just confirms the suspicions I had at the time!

Have to agree bigred - not only the end of ORLFC for me but also pro RL. Really don't see the point anymore.

#18 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

As I've said on the Oldham forum I am flipping this on it's head and viewing it as Salford being our feeder team.

As long as we can dump them once we're in the position that I feel we should be then I can't see a problem.

Now I don't know whether there will be pressures to keep us in a lower league, but at the slightest inkling of such tactics then we must sever all links.

#19 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

No you didn't, Oldham are still playing next season, their fixtures were announced just yesterday.
Posted Image

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

we are not oldham anymore gav...we're a branch of a pi$$ poor salford club..

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 November 2012 - 12:36 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users