Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham /Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
835 replies to this topic

#241 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Aye, my uncle played at Scarborough Pirates and later Hull FC in 1992, I never missed a game...

I never missed an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine either to be fair!

:D

Starter for 10.

When did the Aussies go fully pro and when did we do that in the UK? Maybe this will help understand why we just couldn't beat them.

#242 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

A quantifier that can be used with count nouns - often preceded by "as" or "too" or "so" or "that"; amounting to a large but indefinite number; "many temptations"; "a good many"; "many directions"; more than a few, more than several

That's the dictionary definition, I want your definition when used in the context that you used it in. Many means different things in different contexts, so what did YOU mean by many.

There you go again cocooned in the top tier. What you fail to mention is many teams in the lower tier at that time were attracting crowds of 3 to 4k. Even teams at the bottom of that tier were getting around a 1000. Now there is not one team in the lowest tier of pro rugby getting 1000 and in the second tier averages are only around 1500.

In 93/94 only 1 club managed to top 3k in division 2 (there was only 1 tier below div1), 3,032,was acheived by Keighley so they just broke the 3k mark. The bottom 6 clubs were alll below 1,000 the highest of those 6 only got 788.

in 92/93 when there was 3 divisions not one club in the two second tier divisions managed 3k, closest to 3k was Oldham with 2,809.

in 91/92, the season when 3 divisions was re-introduced 2 clubs in the lower divisions scraped past 3k Oldham 3,149 and Leigh just scraped in at 3,014

To sumarise:
In 93/94 your definition of many is 1
In 92/93 your definition of many is 0
In 91/92 your definition of many is 2

Edited by Padge, 29 November 2012 - 05:15 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#243 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Yet another thread hijacked and gone miles off topic!!!!!!!

Edited by Keith T, 29 November 2012 - 06:54 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#244 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

so from oldham to superleague to attendances to GB

anyway......how much are fish these days?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#245 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

so from oldham to superleague to attendances to GB

anyway......how much are fish these days?

My last post mentioned Oldham twice, how on topic do you want it to be.

Edited by Padge, 29 November 2012 - 09:12 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#246 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

So what you are saying is shut the (SL) door and keep it shut? Then where would most of the SL clubs get a lot of their young lads from?

They'd get them from Featherstone Lions, Oldham St.Annes, Keighley Albion, Doncaster Toll Bar, Leigh East, Hunslet Warriors, Rochdale Mayfield etc etc etc.

See what I did there???

#247 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

It's obvious RL doesn't work in London like it didn't in Wales.

It didn't work in York, and it didn't work in Rochdale, It failed in Workington, and it didn't work in Blackpool, it didn't work in Bramley and it didn't work in Oldham, it didn't work in Swinton. and it didn't work in Hunslet

See what i did there as well???

#248 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

They'd get them from Featherstone Lions, Oldham St.Annes, Keighley Albion, Doncaster Toll Bar, Leigh East, Hunslet Warriors, Rochdale Mayfield etc etc etc.

See what I did there???

Yeah I see what you've done. Would it happen though and be successful? I doubt it but you never know. But I've always said if their wasn't a featherstone rovers that would be me done with the game full stop. Ive never watched a SL game on TV ever since its started and only watched the CC if a champ club was playing.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 November 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#249 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

It didn't work in York, and it didn't work in Rochdale, It failed in Workington, and it didn't work in Blackpool, it didn't work in Bramley and it didn't work in Oldham, it didn't work in Swinton. and it didn't work in Hunslet

See what i did there as well???

Yes but they never tried pushing it in the likes of York, Oldham etc like they have in London and Wales and their is a big size difference to be fair.

#250 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Yeah I see what you've done. Would it happen though and be successful? I doubt it but you never know. But I've always said if their wasn't a featherstone rovers that would be me done with the game full stop. Ive never watched a SL game on TV ever since its started and only watched the CC if a champ club was playing.

I find that very hard to believe.
Posted Image

#251 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I find that very hard to believe.

No gav it's very true never watched a SL club on TV.

#252 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

No gav it's very true never watched a SL club on TV.

So how can you say the standard of play is better or worse? Which you have done.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#253 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

So how can you say the standard of play is better or worse? Which you have done.

Because when fev don't play on the same day as wakey I go and watch them with some mates who are wakey fans. Plus I watch every GB international.Just for the record I don't enjoy watching wakey as they are not my team but I go for the banter and days out.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 November 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#254 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

There you go again cocooned in the top tier. What you fail to mention is many teams in the lower tier at that time were attracting crowds of 3 to 4k. Even teams at the bottom of that tier were getting around a 1000. Now there is not one team in the lowest tier of pro rugby getting 1000 and in the second tier averages are only around 1500.

The old second division average crowd around 1995 was 1,300.

Today those clubs average around 1,100

However the biggest depressant of those crowds is the advent of the third tier of RL which nobody wants to watch.

Superleague has seen crowds grow by very high figures.

Outside that the crowd losses are there, but there's a reson for them that is NOT superleague it's the "league of death".

So the point stands that Superleague has drawn tens of thousands of new fans to the game and as such is a tremendous vehicle for the continued success of the game.

Facts don't suit some people I am afraid.

#255 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yeah I see what you've done. Would it happen though and be successful?

It DOES happen. Superleague get their players from top amateur clubs running junior teams.

For years on here people have perpetrated the myth that the Championship clubs supply players to the game.

They neither supply them nor develop them into professionals.

We need the facts not myths.

#256 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

It DOES happen. Superleague get their players from top amateur clubs running junior teams.

For years on here people have perpetrated the myth that the Championship clubs supply players to the game.

They neither supply them nor develop them into professionals.

We need the facts not myths.

Not true we have produced some great youngsters over the years and if I remember rightly fev, Cas and wakey at one stage produced all the best young talent.

#257 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,704 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Because when fev don't play on the same day as wakey I go and watch them with some mates who are wakey fans. Plus I watch every GB international.Just for the record I don't enjoy watching wakey as they are not my team but I go for the banter and days out.

If you've been only watching Wakey for the last 16 years no wonder you have such views. :laugh:

(joke Wakey fans)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#258 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

If you've been only watching Wakey for the last 16 years no wonder you have such views. :laugh:

(joke Wakey fans)

Like that one

#259 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

So what you are saying is shut the door and keep it shut? Then where would most of the SL clubs get a lot of their young lads from? When most if not all the teams below the halllow grail pack in? What would be the point in running a team if there is no where to go? Can you imagine the up roar if this happened in football. Our sport is not a sport it's a mockery of sport and the rest looking in must be laughing their heads off at our game.

The door will be opened if you have the right password. The password is not "open sesame", nor is it "please". It used to be "We've got more points than the others," but it is now something like "We've got better finances, a better junior set up, a better stadium and a better business plan."

Admittedly, we can nit-pick about whether Salford's business plan is actually better than Featherstone's, but that misses the point, which is to convince the people who open the door that it is.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#260 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Yes but they never tried pushing it in the likes of York, Oldham etc like they have in London and Wales and their is a big size difference to be fair.

Good gawd man they've been pushing it in York since 1868.

Before they pushed SL in Wales, in 2009 in the championships the Crusaders crowds were 1,900 whilst York's were 900.

Once Cru got in SL they returned a crowd of 6,200 against Saints, once they landed in Wrexham they got 10,300 against Leeds

Today there are several full time pro Wales players in SL and several quality welsh kids on the fringes.

ONE SL player comes from York.

This dreadful prejudice in which nasty little myths are put about really has to stop.

If Celtic C. had had the gift of a stadium like the Galpharm and a Ken Davey would RL be "failing in Wales"

Would in heckers like.....................

Oldham and London both got the same start in Superleage in 1996 off level

London crowds were 5.077 Oldhams 3,453

London went to the cup final, Oldham went bust.

Today there are millions of Oldham lads in Superleague - erm well four

There are SIX London lads in Superleague and a production line to make that bigger.

Your post was pure northern prejudice.

Once again ignoring the facts.

Like Padge I'm "sick" of having to set them out to correct such myths and prejudices time and again.

PJMWire is sick of me banging on about such things.

Wish he would get sick of the myths peddled on here instead :lol:

Edited by The Parksider, 29 November 2012 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users