Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham /Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
835 replies to this topic

#761 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Yes that's right.

Rich men do not settle for second best so either they pick up a Superleague club like Leeds, Wire or Wigan...

Or they pick up a CC club like Hull.K.R, or Widnes and make it into a Superkeague club.

Thing is HKR and Widnes are big clubs in my lifetime who had big potential to get back to the top.

Rich men would not touch actual CC/small clubs like keighley and Hunslet.

We have to live with this my friend :D

Never won nowt much York were once in the top division did that make them a big club? In your mind yes :rolleyes:

Won dozens of trophies Wigan were once a CC club for a year- were they a small club that year? In your mind yes :lol:

Rich men want to invest in big clubs and do.

Small clubs dont get rich men investing.

Focus on this carefully and stop focusing on me.

Who was the poster saying there were no critical and negative posts about CC clubs. Here is a prime example. The worst kind of zealot, one who transferred his allegiance from Hunslet to Leeds and feels a need to justify his decision.

#762 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

No not really.

London produce far more professionals than Halifax.

Halifax draw around 2,000 fans.

I've been in the odd Thrum Hall crowd with several thousand Leeds fans. (geddit?)

CC clubs do well crowd wise when the big away side is down the road.

ANYWAY it's past your bedtime....

London as a city, a mega city, produces more professional players than Halifax. Given the size of the two in comparison to each other so it should.

For the unmpteenth time of telling though, it is not London broncos who produce all these players. It is the large amateur base 30 miles away in North and South east London, Greenwich, South London Storm, Haringey, Medway etc who produce the players thanks to the volunteers who tirelessly run these clubs and the RL development officers, if there are any left after the recent cuts, wwho find and nuture these players in the game of RL.

Broncos get to cherry pick the best of those for their SL team but they don't develop them.

#763 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Try finding a CC club that gets bigger crowds than London Broncos and produces more professional players???

Go on try.........

Let me know when you can't find anyone.

You know the Broncos once averaged 5,400 fans.

Try finding CC clubs that could match that??

I would hazard a guess tghat half their crowds are away supporters. What do you think they woulod average if they were in the championships. The last time they were there it was about 700. I cpould find a bunch of CC clubs that could match that.

#764 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

1. I noticed that. I have this feeling that their hatred clouds their judgement to some extent...

Well thinking about it, maybe to a large extent.....

Erm well, thinking about it again, to such an extreme extent they argue black is white....

e.g if Pro SL collapsed grass roots interest will not flounder and GB semi pros will do better against Australia.

2. I don't think any level headed well mannered person would stoop so low as to let their petty jealousies cloud their judgement

Is that a self analysis in point 2.?

#765 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I am of course indebted to your kind reply.

I plead guilty to being a tad careless with my post.

However I like the idea Halifax when playing well could only manage 5,000 when they didn't have the honour of a lot of away fans coming from just oop t' road.

Bit like London who equally could manage 5,000 when they were playing well but were however playing well 200 miles from M62 Land and away fans.

I do remember when Halifax were playing poorly in SL they averaged 2,977 with the advantage of many away fans a car ride away.

So maybe there's nothing in it crowds wise.

That leaves the RFL deciding which club can bring on the most professionals to expand the player pool.

No contest.....

The 200 miles away argument is bogus. SL fans from up North used to go to London to watch their team play the London SL side in their thousands. They made it a real day out before the advent of the Perpignan trip as the big day out. They were and still are a major proportion of London's SL crowds,.

As far as the most professionals argument goes, its the amateur game that produces the professiionals not the Broncos and furthermore the Broncos record on the field would suggest that the quality of professionals they are producing is not so high and maybe some are just making up the numbers and some are not of the same calibre as the professionals being snapped up in the North.

#766 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I forgot to mention that also apart from the dead ones there are those that have been stolen by Bradford, Huddersfield, Leeds and keighley.

Do you have any evidence that Halifax people in any numbers cross over the hills to support Keighley.? The Cougars gates would suggest they don't.

#767 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Shows how you twist things.

You know full well how it works so don't twist it.

Halifax Junior RL is a magnificent organisation that produces top quality players who are signed up and developed by various SL clubs.

Hunslet is also a fine area for Leeds to scout professional quality talent for their Superleague academy and ultimately the first team squad.

Where Halifax and Hunslet RLFC come into It I don't know? Do you??

Same thing applies in London. Where the Broncos come into it I don't know.

#768 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'll stop when you can answer a simple question.

When people become personal and offensive is the point when they have no answer other than to attack the questioner.

Quite. The phrase " You silly little man" comes to mind.

#769 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

So would Andy Gregory not have access to full-time training if he was around today? You're making a false comparison.

Wasn't he a full time professional at the only full time professional club at that time, namely Wigan ?

#770 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Wasn't he a full time professional at the only full time professional club at that time, namely Wigan ?

I think the definition/expectation of full-time pro 20 yrs ago is very different to what it is today.

#771 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Same thing applies in London. Where the Broncos come into it I don't know.

What an incredibly silly thing to say?

The Broncos run the academy system and offer full time careers to the best local amateur lads who make it through.

If you don't know that you shouldn't be on here.

#772 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Quite. The phrase " You silly little man" comes to mind.

Stop being silly like above then. BTW you added the "little" didn't you ;)

Tell me what you want, because you can at times be honest.

Do you want to carry on bashing Superleague like the rest of them, and then bashing me, or shall we discuss how we can get a meaningful system of P & R going in which the "divide" is reduced to attain all inclusiveness?

#773 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

You also for some reason seem to think because a junior player hone's his core skills at a pro clubs academy that his early conditioning at the amateur club who gave the young lad the chance to get involved with the sport counts for nothing,

You didn't get it.

The point was amateur clubs find 'em and teach 'em the game and professional clubs develop 'em into professionals.

The problem is some people think the championship clubs are in that system somewhere.They aren't, they feed off the scraps.

championship clubs need to decide what they want to do. Be "A" teams of bigger SL neighbours, or be independent and aim to be professional clubs.

RFL/SLE need to see how they can include the latter.

People on here would do well to discuss this rather than make stuff up about how awful Superleague is.

Especially when they really want to be in it.

Edited by The Parksider, 08 December 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#774 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

2. I don't think any level headed well mannered person would stoop so low as to let their petty jealousies cloud their judgement

ANYWAY it's past your bedtime....

Sorry you were offended. I've cut and paste your comments to help your memory if you're feeling delicate this morning. With that kind of attitude you attract it.

And I guess the question you are referring to is the pointless one about where we might be if the earth was flat?

I wouldn't try to use a little joke I had with Marauder who took it in the sense it was meant as some sort of get out, it's rather pathetic.

The question that you and you ilk won't answer will lead you to the answer as regards the value of Superleague.

It's pretty much the game's saviour.

So we need to accept it and discuss how it can be more inclusive of those clubs who seriously want to compete in it.

#775 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Who was the poster saying there were no critical and negative posts about CC clubs. Here is a prime example. The worst kind of zealot, one who transferred his allegiance from Hunslet to Leeds and feels a need to justify his decision.

it was me, and i did acknowledge that there were exceptions. I had no idea Parksider supported Leeds.

#776 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Do you have any evidence that Halifax people in any numbers cross over the hills to support Keighley.? The Cougars gates would suggest they don't.

The tone of my post would suggest I don't know and indicate also it was very tongue in cheek (though accusations of "stealing" supporters are common), sorry for forgetting the appropriate smiley.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#777 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

it was me, and i did acknowledge that there were exceptions. I had no idea Parksider supported Leeds.

Watches Leeds seems to be more appropriate if I understand his postings.

Edited by Padge, 08 December 2012 - 09:55 PM.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#778 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Oh FFS, how many times, Wigan were not full time pro when Gregory was at Wigan. Rugby League myth at its best.

#779 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Watches Leeds seems to be more appropriate if I understand his postings.

that was my understanding too.

#780 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

What an incredibly silly thing to say?

The Broncos run the academy system and offer full time careers to the best local amateur lads who make it through.

If you don't know that you shouldn't be on here.

Is that the academy system that is being abolished with a few stragglers farmed out to the Skolars? Great career path there. If you didn t know that you should keep up to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users