Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham /Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
835 replies to this topic

#781 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

it was me, and i did acknowledge that there were exceptions. I had no idea Parksider supported Leeds.

Yes, I m afraid it s true. He has stated on here that he and his son go to Headingley to watch the Rhinos now and not to South Leeds.

#782 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

it was me, and i did acknowledge that there were exceptions. I had no idea Parksider supported Leeds.

If you want to know who I support it's pretty much nobody in particular although one can't resist taking sides in any RL match. I was primarily a Hunslet "fan" from 1966 but went to Leeds and Bramley from 1971 and 1973 respectively. Nowadays I go to Leeds all the time as my lad and his mates are Leeds fans and have season tickets. I cheer (inside) when Crusaders and London win at Leeds but am out of my seat cheering Leeds if they beat Wigan. I only go to odd Hunslet games but that's where the heart remains. I go all over to watch all sorts of games. Today I'm a BIG RL fan in general

I find it disappointing that you Keighley can be so narrow minded and downright childish on the matter, and as i say Dave if you want to know anything from me please ask me direct and don't be swallowing stuff from people who want to make the debate personal because they have no sensible point themselves, and are driven by blind allegiance to their own club and are prepared to lose all their manners in the process.

#783 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Watches Leeds seems to be more appropriate if I understand his postings.

This is much more well mannered and grown up, and the usual accurate correction.

#784 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

You know exactly what I mean Padge, sorry Parky!!! For someone who claims to be Hunslet to the core it does seem you've lost the will and like many more from the industrial heart of Leeds have thrown your hat well and truely in the Rhinos camp...................It's not Gary is it ?

I'll take the "accusations" in good heart, as I don't think your being malicious.

Check out the attendances at many CC Rugby League clubs where tens of thousands have "lost the heart".

Nowadays I watch far more live RL than I ever did when I followed Hunslet all over.

I have a very very big heart for the game I love.

I don't have a nasty mean spirited heart because my club isn't in Superleague.

#785 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,378 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

For the unmpteenth time of telling though, it is not London broncos who produce all these players. It is the large amateur base 30 miles away in North and South east London,

Broncos get to cherry pick the best of those for their SL team but they don't develop them.

You still don't get it.

Amateur clubs wherever they are "produce" the players and SL clubs cherry pick the best and "develop" them into professionals.

That system leaves the CC clubs redundant in the process, and feeding off the scraps.

This mobility of players leaves CC clubs unable to build a Superleague side. It leaves many CC clubs realising there'll be no SL for them in the future although you want to foist it on such unwilling clubs for your own selfish ends.

SL may be struggling but so are CC clubs and so the sensible and pragmatic amongst them link up. The SL club saves money and improves it's players development system, the CC club achieves survival, and receives valuable playing resources - I know because I asked Blackpool Hawk directly on here.

That's how it is, it does ape Australia, where it does work well I know because I asked a Newtown fan on here. I went out and got the information. The question is what do we do about the "independents".

Leigh, Sheffield, Fev, Fax, Keighley???

Still it seems that despite the offer you don't want to debate this. You and your mates just want to disagree with anything I say and find ways of making the argument about me, He's Padge, he's Gary Hetherington in disguise, he's a turncoat etc etc.

Do you want a grown up discussion or not?

And here's the irony.

Those on here who are acting like kids who have had their sweets taken away, and who want to hit another kid to feel better and who want blame someone else for their own (clubs) failings are probably as old if not older than me :lol:

Edited by The Parksider, 09 December 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#786 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

If you want to know who I support it's pretty much nobody in particular although one can't resist taking sides in any RL match. I was primarily a Hunslet "fan" from 1966 but went to Leeds and Bramley from 1971 and 1973 respectively. Nowadays I go to Leeds all the time as my lad and his mates are Leeds fans and have season tickets. I cheer (inside) when Crusaders and London win at Leeds but am out of my seat cheering Leeds if they beat Wigan. I only go to odd Hunslet games but that's where the heart remains. I go all over to watch all sorts of games. Today I'm a BIG RL fan in general

You have forgotten about your fairly recent period as a Widnes fan.........

#787 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,243 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I find it disappointing that you Keighley can be so narrow minded and downright childish on the matter, and as i say Dave if you want to know anything from me please ask me direct and don't be swallowing stuff from people who want to make the debate personal because they have no sensible point themselves, and are driven by blind allegiance to their own club and are prepared to lose all their manners in the process.

cheers Parky - as I replied to Padge my understanding was as per your description rather than keighleys as I seem to recall you mentioning it recently.
In terms of your stance on Cc clubs being able to afford life in SL - we dont share the same view and have debated iy before, but Im 100% confident that your view isnt because of who you support.
Im more than cspable of jolding an opinion which is not linked to the success of my own club and acknowledge that others will too.
Who people support shouldnt come into it but unfortunately people get pigeon holed. My view has been dismissed on numerous occasions on this board simply because I support Warrington.

#788 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I wouldn't try to use a little joke I had with Marauder who took it in the sense it was meant as some sort of get out, it's rather pathetic.

The question that you and you ilk won't answer will lead you to the answer as regards the value of Superleague.

It's pretty much the game's saviour.

So we need to accept it and discuss how it can be more inclusive of those clubs who seriously want to compete in it.

You are confused.I don't have an ilk.

You cannot claim that, you have no evidence. All you can do is make a claim. It saved the top teams (from what is another question) in the top division that is a fact, but it didn't save the game.

Like I said before ask Mark Aston or Elsie Fryer (who you may ask?) who saved our game. Elsie's support for the Dewsbury club is legendary, I would argue she has as much right to make that claim as you can for Sky and there are hundreds if not thousands like her.

#789 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

What are you blustering about now. You love to throw bricks at people but a gentle dig about your transfer of support from Hunslet to Leeds gets you all huffy and hurt. I quote " Nowadays I go to Leeds all the time as my lad and his mates are Leeds fans and have season tickets". That is what I said that you and your son now go to Headingley all the time. I think you are playing with words. If you go to watch Leeds all the time rather than go to watch Hunslet then you have tranferred your support to Leeds, your money goes to Leeds and you jump out of your seat when they beat Wigan. You are by most definitions a Leeds supporter.

I think most of us on here are supporters of the game in general. I even went to watch Hunslet at Wembley :D . My job took me around Yorkshire and I supported Doncaster, Wakefield and, wait for it, Leeds because they were the nearest club. Nowadays I live abroad and support RL when and as I can. The WC is my next big event.

Finally, thanks for being so mannerly as to state that I have no sensible ideas and am driven by blind allegiance. I think I have a viewpoint different from yours about the importance of the lower tiers of RL but I rarely mention Keighley in those discussions. Its you and sometimes your co patrician Padge who constantly make references to Keighley to try to divert from my points and goad me into blind allegiance thinking, nonsensical as they apparently are. Blind allegiance. It's easy to be a psychophantic camp follower of the rich and powerful, perhaps I should switch my point of view. I think I should change my user name to "Tribunus Plebis" although unfortunately I wouldn't get the veto on stupid ideas form the patricians that goes with the title.

Finally you have gone from "childish" to ":silly" to "narrow minded", but you are disappointed with me because I said you go to Leeds and support them. It takes two to tango, Parky me old mate but I would still buy you a pint in the Phoenix bar if you can remember where it is.

#790 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

RL would not have ended there and then in 1995 if there was no Sky money around.

Part-time (maybe with a few full time overseas players?) would still have continued. So would the amateur game and so would the college and student game. That part of the game was already expanding before 1995 despite unions best efforts. I know as I helped set up the original college RL team in a town that had not really seen RL before, and ran it just about on my own the following 2 years. Last time I looked that same team was still in existence.

RU may have been a big threat, some will have gone and got the money some will have come back bored.
Some may have gone to Australia, and again some may come back to the UK if they didn't make it.

Even if a hybrid game emerged (as was rumoured and debated a lot when union were honest in 1995) but still RL would have existed, and so would union. RL is too ingrained in communities for everyone to have thrown in the towel, and RL would have still been a form of sport that is very enjoyable to watch and play and would still have attracted players and spectators.

The international game may have fallen on its arris, but would the Aussies be truly bothered?
The test series before 1995 had double the crowds of the last 3 test series - double the crowds, double the income, terrestrial tv and a lot more national media stories. I didn't see a game dying there in 1995, despite the doom mongers on here, who just want to believe that scenario for their own arguements.

#791 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

1995 was a great year..... centenary year,heritage kits and a awesome world cup to top it off...........great year that

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#792 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

You still don't get it.

Amateur clubs wherever they are "produce" the players and SL clubs cherry pick the best and "develop" them into professionals.

That system leaves the CC clubs redundant in the process, and feeding off the scraps.

This mobility of players leaves CC clubs unable to build a Superleague side. It leaves many CC clubs realising there'll be no SL for them in the future although you want to foist it on such unwilling clubs for your own selfish ends.

SL may be struggling but so are CC clubs and so the sensible and pragmatic amongst them link up. The SL club saves money and improves it's players development system, the CC club achieves survival, and receives valuable playing resources - I know because I asked Blackpool Hawk directly on here.

That's how it is, it does ape Australia, where it does work well I know because I asked a Newtown fan on here. I went out and got the information. The question is what do we do about the "independents".

Still it seems that despite the offer you don't want to debate this. You and your mates just want to disagree with anything I say and find ways of making the argument about me, He's Padge, he's Gary Hetherington in disguise, he's a turncoat etc etc.

And here's the irony.

Those on here who are acting like kids who have had their sweets taken away, and who want to hit another kid to feel better and who want blame someone else for their own (clubs) failings are probably as old if not older than me :lol:

Firstly, now you are saying am amateur clubs wherever they are produce the players and the SL clubs pick them up when you previously, on a long thread, spent pages arguing only SL club towns and cities produced any players. No matter.

The CC clubs are redundant and are being forced into the feeder club non future because SL has ring fenced and is a protectionist monopoly. If there was a proper route open to them to SL membership, they would have more investors, bigger crowds and junior players would be more likely to stick with them than being uprooted to the other end of the country to try out for a SL academy. It's not me who is foisting things onto CC clubs. It's SL, the RFL and their non competitive, protectionist behaviour.

I'll bet Fev and Halifax in their new stadia with increasing crowds, junior systems and decent on field teams with SL ambitions just love being called redundant. There's only a problem about what to do about the independents because SL clubs, as usual, acting to save their skins because they can't manage their money and businesses, have effectively destroyed two divisions of over 20 clubs, in pursuit of their own narrow self interest, rather then giving them a gangway to join their exclusive league because of self perpetuating monopolistic, atavistic actions.

Yes the CC clubs on feeder team life support plans survive, so did serfs and slaves but it was not much of an existence, was it?

Finally, I never said you were Gary Hetherington nor Padge. You might be Gary';s handservant or Padge's clone though ( I tried to put in a smiley so you would not get too upset but even that must be controlled by SL and the computer wouldn't let me do it ).

#793 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'll take the "accusations" in good heart, as I don't think your being malicious.

Check out the attendances at many CC Rugby League clubs where tens of thousands have "lost the heart".

Nowadays I watch far more live RL than I ever did when I followed Hunslet all over.

I have a very very big heart for the game I love.

I don't have a nasty mean spirited heart because my club isn't in Superleague.

No malice intended!

For my sins I support Hull FC and always look for the Dons results,I've also sponsored some of their players in the past but gave up after they constantly took from the amateurs without giving back, I would sooner go round the amateur grounds and watch my rugby league simply because I find the game less stereotyped.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#794 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

You still don't get it.

And here's the irony.

You do talk some non sense. Our clubs failings? The RFL and the introduction of SL killed clubs like ours because we wouldn't do what they wanted I.e join forces with our near neighbours and form a team called Calder or something stupid like that. We wanted to be featherstone rovers not a union. So we get stuffed on for wanting to be featherstone rovers and not do what the RFL want. We are now getting back our club slowly to where it should be and so is Leigh and Halifax and I for one am so glad clubs like ours and these are getting our clubs back into shape after all these years of sitting on the sidelines because we didn't entertain or be on the good side of the RFL. And I for one couldn't care less for the RFL and I'm sure a lot more people feel the same the sooner the RFL gets new people in charge the better our sport will be.

#795 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Our game is too small to be split yet our leaders still have a divide and weaken policy that is seeing us lose ground against our primary competitors.
RL has its heritage, roots and beating heart across the ancient lands of Cumbria, Lancashire and Yorkshire. Expansion should be encouraged and supported from the roots, but that expansion will only come from the games strong foundations in the North motivating new folk to try the greatest game and become one of the family it once was.

#796 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

You have forgotten about your fairly recent period as a Widnes fan.........

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#797 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,237 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

You still don't get it.

And here's the irony.

Who does "we" consist of? And does that make Fev, 'Fax, Leigh, Keighley, Sheffield and the rest "them?" There was a time on this board when we were all "we," "them" was Union and soccer, just shows what a few years without P&R has done. Divide and rule, Mr Murdoch learned his lesson well. Is there any wonder that Championship fans feel like outcasts from their own game and refuse to attend Cup Finals, Grand Finals and Tests in the same numbers that they used to?
Do we have to copy Australia in everything? Just because they don't have more than one division and have no P & R. Most other sports in most of the rest of the world do. BTW DallyM who used to post on here said years ago that the mergers in Oz had alienated large numbers of fans in the merged clubs.

Edited by Trojan, 09 December 2012 - 09:52 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#798 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,703 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

You do talk some non sense. Our clubs failings? The RFL and the introduction of SL killed clubs like ours because we wouldn't do what they wanted I.e join forces with our near neighbours and form a team called Calder or something stupid like that. We wanted to be featherstone rovers not a union. So we get stuffed on for wanting to be featherstone rovers and not do what the RFL want. We are now getting back our club slowly to where it should be and so is Leigh and Halifax and I for one am so glad clubs like ours and these are getting our clubs back into shape after all these years of sitting on the sidelines because we didn't entertain or be on the good side of the RFL. And I for one couldn't care less for the RFL and I'm sure a lot more people feel the same the sooner the RFL gets new people in charge the better our sport will be.

if your club had been 'killed' it would have been 'dead': I don't recall that happening.
as for 'back' into shape your club has been in amess for most of its hitory, and only now is it being run competently with a realitically positive eye to the future. Do you have anything remotely resembling a comprehensive knowledge of your club
As I recall you club voted for the SKY deal.?

as for 'didn't entertain' what are you taling about?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#799 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,703 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Who does "we" consist of? And does that make Fev, 'Fax, Leigh, Keighley, Sheffield and the rest "them?" There was a time on this board when we were all "we," "them" was Union and soccer, just shows what a few years without P&R has done. Divide and rule, Mr Murdoch learned his lesson well. Is there any wonder that Championship fans feel like outcasts from their own game and refuse to attend Cup Finals, Grand Finals and Tests in the same numbers that they used to?
Do we have to copy Australia in everything? Just because they don't have more than one division with no P & R. Most other sports in most of the rest of the world do.

as ever yor selective memory is serving you well
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#800 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,139 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

You were saying *exactly* the same things well before licensing or no p&r Trojan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users