Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham /Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
835 replies to this topic

#801 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

as ever yor selective memory is serving you well

come on Chris you can do better than that be more specific
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#802 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

You were saying *exactly* the same things well before licensing or no p&r Trojan.

I think you you'll find I wasn't. My first posts regarding this subject were in the spring of 2008 when this system was first mooted.

#803 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think you you'll find I wasn't. My first posts regarding this subject were in the spring of 2008 when this system was first mooted.

I can recall you saying you were fed up of RL and were going to walk away from the game about 2003 citing it was a farce etc. You have repeated it a few times since but with differing reasons.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#804 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

if your club ....

Again you use 'your club' when referring to Fev. Are you sure you've not fallen out with the BOD?

#805 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,077 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Again you use 'your club' when referring to Fev. Are you sure you've not fallen out with the BOD?

I no longer have an involvement with a rugby league club: my reasons are my business, but don't relate to the BOD. I seem to recall saying that in a previous post. I still enjoy rugby league though HTH. Thanks for your interest.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#806 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,077 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

come on Chris you can do better than that be more specific

for crying out loud you've been getting chapter and verse for years.
Keeping it local

#807 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Personally I'd like clubs to be more open and honest about their stance on the current structure of the top levels of the game.

I suspect the 14 SL clubs are probably in favour of licensing (although lets not forget that if one of the lower clubs got relegated then they have to live with a minimum of three years out of SL just like other clubs). I also suspect that many of the smaller Championship clubs are happy with licensing, as it should help to drive clubs to be stronger in their divisions in a more controlled way rather than throwing loads of money at on-field performance to get promotion.

It'd be interesting to know if there is simply a small number of clubs (3-5) who are not happy with the situation.

If that is the case then there are two options - 1) do what we can to get the 3-5 included in the top level (SL2 for example) or 2) get on with it and keep to what the clubs want and voted for.

On a similar point, fans opinions ultimately count for little unless they are followed up with changes in behaviour. People may state that fewer championship fans go to the RL events, but tbh I suspect there is little evidence for this. GF crowds have grown and are at a very healthy level. Challenge Cup final crowds remain very healthy (it was only a couple of years ago that Wire v Leeds got 85k sell out). If anything has affected these crowds I'd suspect it would be the horrendous financial situation rather than licensing.

If you did a survey and asked if people wanted P&R to return, I suspect that you would get a majority vote for a return - but ultimately if that is a solution the game can't afford then this needs to be over-ruled by strong leadership. Behaviour is more important than opinion - we need to make sure that a few loud opinions don't rule over the correct decisions.

#808 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Personally I'd like clubs to be more open and honest about their stance on the current structure of the top levels of the game.

I suspect the 14 SL clubs are probably in favour of licensing (although lets not forget that if one of the lower clubs got relegated then they have to live with a minimum of three years out of SL just like other clubs). I also suspect that many of the smaller Championship clubs are happy with licensing, as it should help to drive clubs to be stronger in their divisions in a more controlled way rather than throwing loads of money at on-field performance to get promotion.

It'd be interesting to know if there is simply a small number of clubs (3-5) who are not happy with the situation.

If that is the case then there are two options - 1) do what we can to get the 3-5 included in the top level (SL2 for example) or 2) get on with it and keep to what the clubs want and voted for.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly.

There's something rather stupid about people proposing clubs be forced to become professionals like the SL1 & SL2 nonsense.

Back in the real world the problem is simple.

Are all the clubs who want to turn and stay pro being offered that chance to do so???

There's a massive difference between the B.O.D/Chairman teasing fans with talk of Superleague and those who are deadly serious.

For me.....

1. Featherstone - deadly serious - in they go
2. Sheffield - not got the money, so are just hoping it comes from somewhere?
3. Halifax - not got the money, so are hoping it comes from somewhere?
4. Leigh - not got the money, so are hpoing it comes from somewhere?

The latter three have a hard task to convince anyone they are serious today, as their former efforts in SL are there to haunt them.

Applying for Superleague does not stand as proof of a serious application as Mr Des Johnson showed.

#809 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yes I agree wholeheartedly.

There's something rather stupid about people proposing clubs be forced to become professionals like the SL1 & SL2 nonsense.

Back in the real world the problem is simple.

Are all the clubs who want to turn and stay pro being offered that chance to do so???

There's a massive difference between the B.O.D/Chairman teasing fans with talk of Superleague and those who are deadly serious.

For me.....

1. Featherstone - deadly serious - in they go
2. Sheffield - not got the money, so are just hoping it comes from somewhere?
3. Halifax - not got the money, so are hoping it comes from somewhere?
4. Leigh - not got the money, so are hpoing it comes from somewhere?

The latter three have a hard task to convince anyone they are serious today, as their former efforts in SL are there to haunt them.

Applying for Superleague does not stand as proof of a serious application as Mr Des Johnson showed.

Where are Featherstone getting the money from? Probiz? How much money has he invested in the past into clubs he backed?

#810 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Where are Featherstone getting the money from? Probiz? How much money has he invested in the past into clubs he backed?

We are told Mr. Nahaboo from Probiz is likely to back the bid with money. Apologies to Terry M. if wrong but I think he indicated Mr. N. was committing to ensuring a full salary cap spend.

Mr. Lizard also suggested Mr. Abbott could be the man at your club? What do you think??

Personally I like people with money and a will to back a club to just come out and do it like Mr. O'Connor did.

Today James Rule reflected on how Widnes would not have made Superleagfue without Mr. O'Connor and "may not have survived in the championship either". He confirmed O'Connor money as "propping up the vikings"

You know you just can't blame CC clubs for tying up with SL clubs and vice-versa.......

Mr. Rule also says that the club faced and stilL face "ENORMOUS CHALLENGES MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM SEMI PRO TO PROFESSIONAL".

The P & R brigade should note that, and note that Widnes would not have made it without O'Connors money and will not survive without it unless they can grow the business - and results haven't been that great.

To advocate clubs who have no such riches should go up one year and maybe go down the next because that suits someone personally is to condemn a club to one slim (or no) chance that could ruin them. Still that's fantasy RL for you.

The debate should be about closing that gap IF anyone is really serious - do you think Nahaboo is Mr. Other??

#811 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

We are told Mr. Nahaboo from Probiz is likely to back the bid with money. Apologies to Terry M. if wrong but I think he indicated Mr. N. was committing to ensuring a full salary cap spend.

Mr. Lizard also suggested Mr. Abbott could be the man at your club? What do you think??

Personally I like people with money and a will to back a club to just come out and do it like Mr. O'Connor did.

Today James Rule reflected on how Widnes would not have made Superleagfue without Mr. O'Connor and "may not have survived in the championship either". He confirmed O'Connor money as "propping up the vikings"

You know you just can't blame CC clubs for tying up with SL clubs and vice-versa.......

Mr. Rule also says that the club faced and stilL face "ENORMOUS CHALLENGES MAKING THE TRANSITION FROM SEMI PRO TO PROFESSIONAL".

The P & R brigade should note that, and note that Widnes would not have made it without O'Connors money and will not survive without it unless they can grow the business - and results haven't been that great.

To advocate clubs who have no such riches should go up one year and maybe go down the next because that suits someone personally is to condemn a club to one slim (or no) chance that could ruin them. Still that's fantasy RL for you.

The debate should be about closing that gap IF anyone is really serious - do you think Nahaboo is Mr. Other??

Do I think he will put money in? Going by what he has put into clubs in the past after making grand statements. No I don't.

#812 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Do I think he will put money in? Going by what he has put into clubs in the past after making grand statements. No I don't.

Well without that O'Connor figure they may struggle.

But I subscribe to the idea that any club serious about being a top division club should at least be given a chance to see what they can do? Don't you??

I believe Featherstone are the only serious club never to have had a fair chance to have a go.

#813 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,678 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

. Behaviour is more important than opinion - we need to make sure that a few loud opinions don't rule over the correct decisions.

But surely, the "correct decisions" are only reached by some other loud opinion from others!!! Who is to say who is correct for everyone is merely expressing opinions?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#814 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Who is to say who is correct for everyone is merely expressing opinions?

Well debate can move forward if views are exchanged in good faith and facts presented to assist in that.

Would you allow me the opinion the earth is flat?

Or that Superleague has attracted thousands of new fans to the game?

In good faith with no axe to grind I am currently seeking the answer on balance to whether the game should have accepted SKY money or just stayed part time.

Marauder suggests part time because he feels those remaining in the game would all be happier.

And I'm happy with that. Fair point.

Edited by The Parksider, 10 December 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#815 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

But surely, the "correct decisions" are only reached by some other loud opinion from others!!! Who is to say who is correct for everyone is merely expressing opinions?

I disagree 100% with your 1st line.

Correct decisions can be made all of the time without some other loud opinion from others, so I'm not really sure what you mean.

Nothing will be correct for everyone, there will always be unhappy parties I suspect. If it is right for the majority (and this needs to be backed up with behaviours that we see) then that is good enough.

BTW, my post wasn't about condemning people with different opinions, it is right that people should be able to voice any concerns or differing views, but how much they influence key decisions is a different matter.

#816 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

for crying out loud you've been getting chapter and verse for years.

Not where "my selective memory" is concerned I haven't. As far as the disussion re P&R I think most of us can plead guilty to "chapter and verse" Face it Chris if you can't win the argument you get personal. I hope I haven't resorted to the same tactics.

#817 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

I can recall you saying you were fed up of RL and were going to walk away from the game about 2003 citing it was a farce etc. You have repeated it a few times since but with differing reasons.

I haven't been posting on here since 2003. 2004 more like. But I was quite happy with the way things were in those days. I was happy to attend test matches, CC finals, Grand Finals, I even met the TRL crew in the Moon Under Water at the 2006 GF and had my picture taken with them.
But it is true, I have withdrawn from support for "RFL occasions" I watch my team (although due to circumstances I couldn't control I missed quite a bit of last season) But as far as the wider game goes give it a miss. I watch it on TV, - but not if I have to pay! <_<

#818 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

dunno about other clubs but rovers are sponsored well by probiz. Money last season was banked and spent.
Money for this season is received up front.
What does it matter where fev are getting their wad from?
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#819 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,077 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

dunno about other clubs but rovers are sponsored well by probiz. Money last season was banked and spent.
Money for this season is received up front.
What does it matter where fev are getting their wad from?

Surely it matters a lot in terms of fairness and 'morality'- a term you and others use frequently when talking about rugby league when it suits.

What are your views on tax avoidance by the rich?

Or am I being a ###### in a swimming pool/clown/someone who gets into games for free.
If my friends are being lied about and abused I stand up for them. Do you?

Keeping it local

#820 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

Chris. One again you're bringing in your fav question when fev is mentioned. Repeatedly you keep attempting to lever tangent questions into threads that aren't a supplement/info to the direction of the thread but a complete de-rail which is infuriating to the forum user. I have no intention of getting involved in that question on this thread or others you try and de-rail.
As for the other stuff.... not on a public forum Chris.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users