Oldham /Salford

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
835 replies to this topic

#61 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

Another Championship club gets stuffed up with this ridiculous arrangement. I can see a few clubs disappearing as many fans dont want these links and for them its the end of their club as they see it. People like Gav can live in a dream world and pretend everything is rosy and that the Championship sides will prosper under such things. The reality is many clubs independence has gone. Fans are angry and fed up with many ready to walk away from the game forever. This may benefit SL clubs in saving money but these arrangements could be the death of some clubs, if potentially hundreds of fans walk away from the championship and stop putting their money to clubs. Fans for many years feel their club has been taken over and its now just a feeder club in all but name. The BS presented by the Clubs and RFL saying its not feeder clubs can be seen through by many fans. Its started off as DR and then each season it changed to now this. Another 5-10 years the Championship will be a Feeder Club League. I dont see what Oldham stand to gain really as Salford are in a mess themselves and likely will be for the next few years. Salford dont have money or even a great academy or fringe players. Featherstone have a much better academy and the likes of Halifax, Featherstone and Sheffield are better run.

Hang on, we are talking about clubs who are teetering on the brink and many of them have been for a good while, how long can Hamilton and others in the game keep on trying to prop up clubs that have been failing for years.

If a bunch backward looking old fogies want to walk away from the club because they don't like it, then all they are doing is possibly bringing forward the day of reckoning, They should be spending their energies on encouraging young support to get behind the club instead of spouting negativity, because when they pop their clogs there will be nobody there to keep the club afloat anyway. The rubbish spouted by the opponents of these arrangements is beyond belief.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#62 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

ask any oldham fan what chris hamilton is like when he tries working with other people..

i personally know people who have worked with him...and have quit because hes impossible to work with....

im hoping that in a few months chris gets annoyed that "someone else is trying to run his club" and pulld the plug on the agreement

thats the only brightside imo....and its very possible too lol

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 November 2012 - 08:59 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#63 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

I think Sheddings has answered for me.

Sheddings is entitled to speak for himself but not for all four hundred.

#64 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

the club won't be able to sustain itself on attendances of 250-300.....thats what todays announcement has done.....i

It couldnt sustain itself as a superleague club either - Did Oldham not lose alot of identity when you had to form a new company with a new name etc back then?
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#65 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

It couldnt sustain itself as a superleague club either - Did Oldham not lose alot of identity when you had to form a new company with a new name etc back then?

no it did'nt.....we where still oldham and we had attendances well over 1000...which can sustain a club in the lower leagues...hth

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#66 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hang on, we are talking about clubs who are teetering on the brink and many of them have been for a good while, how long can Hamilton and others in the game keep on trying to prop up clubs that have been failing for years.

If a bunch backward looking old fogies want to walk away from the club because they don't like it, then all they are doing is possibly bringing forward the day of reckoning, They should be spending their energies on encouraging young support to get behind the club instead of spouting negativity, because when they pop their clogs there will be nobody there to keep the club afloat anyway. The rubbish spouted by the opponents of these arrangements is beyond belief.

The rubbish itself is beyond belief. Unfortunately the fact that it exists is all too believable. And it is spouted all too often.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#67 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

no it did'nt.....we where still oldham and we had attendances well over 1000...which can sustain a club in the lower leagues...hth

Skolars and Gateshead survive on crowds of 250-300.

I'm not saying its a good this but it makes this point you're trying to make a bit redundant.

You're moaning about the club not being able to operate with such small crowds, so what do you think throwing your toys out of the pram and staying away will achieve...?
Posted Image

#68 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Sheddings is entitled to speak for himself but not for all four hundred.

He's pretty much spoke for me too! As far as I'm concerned, my club has died today and whatever aberration takes to the field next season, it certainly wont be an Oldham side in the true sense of the word!

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

1. The reality is many clubs independence has gone. Fans are angry and fed up with many ready to walk away from the game forever. This may benefit SL clubs in saving money but these arrangements could be the death of some clubs, if potentially hundreds of fans walk away from the championship and stop putting their money to clubs.

2. I dont see what Oldham stand to gain really as Salford are in a mess themselves and likely will be for the next few years. Salford dont have money or even a great academy or fringe players. Featherstone have a much better academy and the likes of Halifax, Featherstone and Sheffield are better run.

1. I know, your right, but I have watched as several clubs have died like Blackpool, York, Bramley, Rochdale, and nearly Hunslet. In the end who really cares apart from the stalwarts who resurrect these clubs?.

And what happens when the club's name is resurrected? The financial struggles are resurrected too and it's back to square one once the euphoria of being "saved" wears off.

Yes, hundreds of championship fans will walk away and take their money with them. But to what effect?? Every last penny they spend is seemingly lost in the struggle. I'm sure the people who run the RFL would like to see new generations of fans in Oldham going to watch Salford, certainly the new generations of Hunslet and Bramley people watch Leeds.

As has been said it's 2012, and it will never be 1952 again.

2. Salford are clearly not in a mess as Peel holdings are agreeing a deal and this is a sign it is happening. Have a look at the two SL clubs who have yet to announce any link up for a mess.

As for the old Chestnut of Fev, Sheffield and Fax, for the millionth time, they don't have the money for Superleague Peel Holdings do.

Being "well run" doesn't bridge a £2,000,000 a year gap.

#70 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

1. I know, your right, but I have watched as several clubs have died like Blackpool, York, Bramley, Rochdale, and nearly Hunslet. In the end who really cares apart from the stalwarts who resurrect these clubs?.

And what happens when the club's name is resurrected? The financial struggles are resurrected too and it's back to square one once the euphoria of being "saved" wears off.

Yes, hundreds of championship fans will walk away and take their money with them. But to what effect?? Every last penny they spend is seemingly lost in the struggle. I'm sure the people who run the RFL would like to see new generations of fans in Oldham going to watch Salford, certainly the new generations of Hunslet and Bramley people watch Leeds.

As has been said it's 2012, and it will never be 1952 again.

2. Salford are clearly not in a mess as Peel holdings are agreeing a deal and this is a sign it is happening. Have a look at the two SL clubs who have yet to announce any link up for a mess.

As for the old Chestnut of Fev, Sheffield and Fax, for the millionth time, they don't have the money for Superleague Peel Holdings do.

Being "well run" doesn't bridge a £2,000,000 a year gap.

Who says we don't have the money for super league? We are in a better financial position than some super league clubs.Our chairman as said publicly that we would use all the salary cap up if we gained access to super league. How many outside the top 4 in super league use the full salary cap?

Edited by thundergaz, 27 November 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#71 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Have to agree, but the young support want Superleague, I'd like to see them get it. I'd like to see kids in Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale and all around the M60 being taken by their dads to Barton for a dose of Devilmania!

That's just me putting the game before the clubs....

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Who says we don't have the money for super league? We are in a better financial position than some super league clubs.

Your accounts show losses every year for the last three years, and that's operating in a league with a cap of £300K.

Some SL clubs may include the struggling Cas and HKR, note that they struggle on 7,000 gates.

If Mr, Campbell has said Fev will pay full cap every year, has he also said how??

Edited by The Parksider, 27 November 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#73 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,044 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Have to agree, but the young support want Superleague, I'd like to see them get it. I'd like to see kids in Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale and all around the M60 being taken by their dads to Barton for a dose of Devilmania!

I don't actually care which club they watch, as long as it plays 13 a side!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#74 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Your accounts show losses every year for the last three years, and that's operating in a league with a cap of £300K.

Some SL clubs may include the struggling Cas and HKR, note that they struggle on 7,000 gates.

Yes but the away support in the championship is non existent apart from Halifax and Leigh. I'm sure most of the super league teams would struggle to make a profit in the championship. We have one if not the best supported clubs outside of super league.

Edited by thundergaz, 27 November 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#75 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

As an Oldham fan, I would like to see kids in Oldham, Swinton and Rochdale watching their home town clubs! My lad has no interest in watching a team with second rate Salford players in it masquerading as an Oldham side! He's told me today that he has no interest now Hamilton has sold out and will concentrate on watching the towns football side! I think that's where my money might well be going to - watching a side that actually does represent the town!

#76 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

As an Oldham fan, I would like to see kids in Oldham, Swinton and Rochdale watching their home town clubs! My lad has no interest in watching a team with second rate Salford players in it masquerading as an Oldham side! He's told me today that he has no interest now Hamilton has sold out and will concentrate on watching the towns football side! I think that's where my money might well be going to - watching a side that actually does represent the town!

But happy with the second rate loan players we have had every season for years?
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#77 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

He's pretty much spoke for me too! As far as I'm concerned, my club has died today and whatever aberration takes to the field next season, it certainly wont be an Oldham side in the true sense of the word!

You mean like the great Oldham teams of the eighties with;

Bruce Clarke (Western Suburbs)
Stuart Raper (Cronulla}
Gary Bridge (Balmain)
Steve Wright (Feltham Rugby Union)
Mark Fairbank (Elland BARLA club)
Gary Warnecke (Wests)
Mal Graham (Wests)
Peter Walsh (Newcastle Knights)
Brian McCarthy (Cantebury Bankstown)
Tom Nadiole (Salford On Loan)
Paul Lowdnes (Warrington On Loan)
Alan McCurrie (Halifax On Loan)
Ian Birkby (York On Loan)
Steve Garner (Fulham On Loan)
Michael Parish (Wakefield On Loan)
John Ogburn (Mansfield Marksmen On Loan)

Need I go on!

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#78 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,479 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Yes but the away support in the championship is non existent apart from Halifax and Leigh. I'm sure most of the super league teams would struggle to make a profit in the championship. We have one if not the best supported clubs outside of super league.

Gaz you have a little gem of a club my friend.

But the money for Super League is not there, unless someone else can tell us otherwise??

#79 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

No clubs = no game!

#80 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

You can't operate an SL club based on the hope that away support is going to pay your bills. Away support should never be considered a main income stream it should be considered a bonus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users