TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham /Salford

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
835 replies to this topic

#161 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

There isn't a club in Superleague that can pay full cap and compete on crowds of less than 8,000 unless they have a rich owner.

There isn't a club in the Championship than has a rich owner or could get 8,000 crowds in Superleague.

The only clubs now managing on less without a rich owner in SL are HKR and Cas who are in dire straits.

Please explain how "good management" can take clubs on 2,000 crowds with no money in the bank, and no rich investor into Superleague and compete.

It has NEVER happened.

Is this the same Hull KR who are building a massive new stand, already half completed, and whom should increase their crowds once it is completed. The same Hull KR who are talking to or looking for new inestors.?

#162 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

No Barry Eaton can see himself developing the best kids for Leeds to take into their first team - read his article.

Barry Eaton wants to take the best of the rest from Leeds to improve his team - read the article.

Barry Eaton wants Leeds fans to start going to watch Hunslet on sundays and Hunslet fans Leeds on Fridays.

Eaton of course does not admit to being a feeder team, the local amateurs feed the players into the club so you have that wrong.

The set up mirrors the way "A" teams work, who said anything about Leeds "buying" Hunslet? Try reading up on these things. as Blackpool Hawks says without this there will be no Hunslet.

And you still think these clubs still retain their independance.

Stop spreading propoganda that all is well in the Championship.

Show me evidence it's "business as usual"

Start another thread on "all is not well in the Championship if you wan"t. This is about player link ups.

And as you only have an opinion, lets keep it that way. I may be tempted to offer an alternative view rather than pointing out that your facts aren't facts.

One point that I must pull you up on is that no club has independence. They rely on the clubs and supporters from other clubs to survive, sponsorship, TV money etc

If you are "implying" clubs have miraculously managed to continue existence through independence then again, your peddling misinformation but If Leeds and Hunslet do become one club because Hunslet need an SL club for a benefactor, then that's for Hunslet and Leeds to sort out. However this in my opinion is not a wholesale transfer to a future where Championship clubs rely on direct SL ownership to survive. Few fans of Championship clubs would ever prescribe to this.

In my view these link ups are in the majority of cases, about managing a failed system to the benefit of all the clubs. It makes sense for SL clubs to get direct links to manage the academy player overspill effectively and for Championship clubs to have access to a known pool of talent rather than messing with expensive agents.

Edited by Ackroman, 28 November 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#163 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

They were very real - who says they weren't.

What I am saying is in the end Cougarmania failed as bid all the "manias".

Yet you want to bring it back, but then again you want to bring 1952 back.

I wish. Did you check the crowds in 1952. I tell yu them was tdays.

#164 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Stop making stuff up to suit your argument. McCurrie was signed from Wakefield
Nadiole was of Fijian parentage and spent many seasons at the club
Parrish was signed from Hunslet
of the other English based players you listed I cannot recall them, but if by Garner you are reffering to Gartland, he is an Oldham lad.
In your other argument about Fev not being able to afford SL. You forgot to mention that if they do get in they get around 1 million pounds hand out. Now maybe that is why the Championship clubs look skint to the gravy train boys in SL.

None of it is made up so I actually resent your accusation, however McCurrie was a genuine error, he was loaned the other way around, Oldham loaned him to Halifax in 85.

Steve Garner signed for Fulham from Blackpool on 23/10/86, he was loaned to Oldham on the 30/12/86 and returned to Fulham on 12/02/87.

The point however still stands Oldham, just like all other clubs, have always been willing to sign players and borrow players from here there and anywhere, lets cut all this 'representative of the town' carp.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#165 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'll "bang on" about 7,000, 8,000 or 10,000 gates as long as people "bang on" about how their championship club on 1,000, 1,500 or 2,000 gates can suddenly become an SL club just because SKY give them £1M.

I''m gonna "bang on" with no regrets and i'll probably "bang on" even more now just to upset you :D

Well don't forget the kids when you're banging on!!

It matters when doing the maths

Shame you didn't respond to that part!!

Ps you do upset me, you waste far too much of your life typing the same old. :P

#166 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

P and R needs to return to our game. I've got mates that support Wakefield and c@s and they all agree that it needs to return they said they hope it isn't them that gets relegated but all of them said we don't buy season tickets anymore because we're sick of playing at least 10 friendlies a season. Also as our sport improved without P and R? I don't think it's made much difference personally the top teams are still the same the bottom teams are still the same and internationally we were better when ellery Hanley and co played so you would have to say we've gone backwards not forwards.

#167 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Ultimately opinions count for little.

Ask people what they want and they will give you a long wishlist.

Behaviour is more important than opinions. Wakefield's crowds are up, so with all due respect thundergaz, the fact that some of your mates say they don't buy season tickets isn't an issue.

#168 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ultimately opinions count for little.

Ask people what they want and they will give you a long wishlist.

Behaviour is more important than opinions. Wakefield's crowds are up, so with all due respect thundergaz, the fact that some of your mates say they don't buy season tickets isn't an issue.

I agree it's not an issue and to be honest I personally don't care if P and R returns I just think it needs to for the sake of our sport. I would gladly leave it as it is and when the next franchise comes round if we do get in at least we will get 3 seasons in the SL instead of maybe just one. But even if we were in SL I would welcome P and R just for the sake of our sport.

#169 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I agree it's not an issue and to be honest I personally don't care if P and R returns I just think it needs to for the sake of our sport. I would gladly leave it as it is and when the next franchise comes round if we do get in at least we will get 3 seasons in the SL instead of maybe just one. But even if we were in SL I would welcome P and R just for the sake of our sport.

Auto P & R isn't the problem its money, auto P &R just compounds the money problem, we still have P & R we just don't have an automatic version of it.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#170 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Auto P & R isn't the problem its money, auto P &R just compounds the money problem, we still have P & R we just don't have an automatic version of it.

I agree their needs to be a bomb proof way of reintroducing P and R. But teams are going bust anyway as the bulls, Salford and a few others have or are experiencing at the moment. A lot more teams at present seem to be in financial trouble than when P and R was every season. I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me at the present time.

#171 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

In terms of hard evidence you are of course correct, there is very little currently, that may be because there is nothing to see or it may be because very little information has been released to date. There are however some fairly obvious, to me at any rate, unanswered questions which could plausibly lead you to the type of conclusions Parksider has reached.

Hard evidence of collusion or a change in the relationship between teams? Absolutely not, but in the absence of answers or evidence to the contrary the pathway to that conclusion seems to me to be not entirely unrealistic or the realm of the wild conspiracy theorist.

You'll do for me. Thanks for the interesting post.........

#172 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I agree their needs to be a bomb proof way of reintroducing P and R. But teams are going bust anyway as the bulls, Salford and a few others have or are experiencing at the moment. A lot more teams at present seem to be in financial trouble than when P and R was every season. I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me at the present time.

I am sick of posting lists of clubs money troubles under auto P & R.

#173 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Ps you do upset me, you waste far too much of your life typing the same old. :P

I know :(

Several people on here waste far too much of their life typing of a return to a heady bygone past when all was rosy.

Make them stop it please, then I too can be released from this treadmill.

#174 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Aye.

If I'm honest, the only thing keeping me going with RL is next year's World Cup.

I live far enough away that to attend and support the game it takes real effort, both time-wise and financial - and tbh I spend a fair bit of time feeling really rather depressed about the game.

In fact, the most refreshing discussions I have about the sport of Rugby League are from non-RL fans here in Scotland who appear to really appreciate the sport. My most recent experience like this was last weekend, sat in the oldest Inn in Scotland in a tiny village called Kenmore in Perthshire, talking proudly about our sport with a bloke from just outside London and his friend from Fife. It was an entertaining and enjoyable discussion - much unlike most I have with many RL 'fans'.

Got plastered (on Talisker) in there once - I think the discussion was enjoyable; it was probably entertaining for the barman!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#175 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Got plastered (on Talisker) in there once - I think the discussion was enjoyable; it was probably entertaining for the barman!

beautiful place - first visit and certainly wont be my last!

#176 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Start another thread on "all is not well in the Championship if you wan"t. This is about player link ups.

However this in my opinion is not a wholesale transfer to a future where Championship clubs rely on direct SL ownership to survive.

Well you had better actually read the posts in this and other link up threads. there is a great weight of opinion that disagrees it's just about player link ups, and it's fair game to challenge it on these threads.

Also read the articles by Powell and Aston who are unhappy, and Eaton who doesn't see a simple link up at all, look at the additional links beyond players especially the saints/Rochdale thing.

Hold the simple opinion if you like but don't berate me for seeing it differently when there's more than enough to see it another way.

BTW I have never said that SL clubs would "own" CC clubs financially, however in the street language of today they certainly will "own" them.

#177 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Is this the same Hull KR who are building a massive new stand, already half completed, and whom should increase their crowds once it is completed.

For the sake of PJMWires sanity please stop it.

Stop making me do this.

How does building a stand automatically increase crowds??

Why didn't you point out HKR have cut player spends by £500K??

#178 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

beautiful place - first visit and certainly wont be my last!

Yes, and it's on my doorstep (almost).
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#179 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Yes agreed

But "mania" is old hat as a marketing tool and is no longer is use.

Ever wondered why?

End of promotion and relegation meant the pressure was off the leading clubs to stay ahead of the pack which resulted in the Bulls and others taking their eyes off of the ball.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#180 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

End of promotion and relegation meant the pressure was off the leading clubs to stay ahead of the pack which resulted in the Bulls and others taking their eyes off of the ball.

Bulls money issues go way back before licensing.