Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Press Ethics /Regulation... what should happen

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

With the Leveson report coming out tomorrow and Mr Cameron et al leafing through their copies today, I was wondered what people would like to see as the outcome.Obviously there are a few journalists who frequent this board and I'd be particularly interested in what they think.

In some instances the press have been terrible (I'm thinking things like phone hacking for example... which I assume wasn't practised by most journalists but has cast a shadow over all), but a free press is very important to democracy. Obviously there has to be a balance between public interest and invasion of privacy but should the press be left to manage themselves with a binding code of conduct as some MP's seem to be suggesting this morning (isn't that what we have now though?) or should this be backed up with legislation.

Personally I'm not sure where or how I would like that line drawn though I feel the press have failed at self regulation. I would like to see something like Canada's law where broadcast news can't knowing broadcast a lie, which has effectively kept Fox news out of Canada, though that is obviously aimed at broadcast not print media. It also wouldn't fix this problem with what we class as public interest.

What do you guys think?

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Expect a few more reports on Jimmy Saville to appear over the next few days/weeks. It all gone a bit quiet recently.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

The law as it stands should be enforced - the key change should be that when the media does get it wrong *Chris Jefferies for example* the punishment for the media should be wounding.

And despite the screams from the knee-jerk elements of the media nobody is seriously suggesting state regulation.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

1. There's probably not an adult in Britain that hasn't done something that, if they had been famous, would have made the front page of a national newspaper.

2. We should make the press set up a joint legal fund (policed and controlled by the civil service) that complainants about press abuse can use to fund their court cases against particular newspapers.

3. It is interesting that the UK government has charged Brooks, Coulson etc individually, rather than charge News International. This will give most Fleet Street editors a squeaky bum and discourage continued press malpractice.

4. I for one am eternally grateful to the Daily Telegraph for exposing MP's own hypocrisy, duplicity and fraud. I would prefer to have no press regulation if its imposition would deny any future opportunity to expose such governmental abuse.

Edited by Wolford6, 28 November 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

4. I for one am eternally grateful to the Daily Telegraph for exposing MP's own hypocrisy, duplicity and fraud. I would prefer to have no press regulation if its imposition would deny any future opportunity to expose such governmental abuse.

Nobody is proposing any regulation that would prevent investigative journalism.
- Severus, July 2012

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Yes, but Labour's two attack dogs over the press investigation ... Watson and Bryant ... both had personal axes to grind over press exposure.

Effing hypocrites.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yeah, they say that now....

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, they say that now....

Nobody giving evidence to Leveson suggested anything that would prevent investigative journalism. It's highly unlikely he will recommend anything that will 'shackle' the press's ability to investigate anything.
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,717 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Nobody giving evidence to Leveson suggested anything that would prevent investigative journalism. It's highly unlikely he will recommend anything that will 'shackle' the press's ability to investigate anything.

Yeah, sounds reassuring...for now.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#10 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

It was mentioned this morning on Breakfast TV that apologies for false accusations are printed in minute detail inside the newspaper responsible, whereas the original story was headline grabbing. It was said the apology should be more prominent and not tucked away.

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

X Factor judge Louis Walsh has received an apology and 500,000 euros from an Irish newspaper over wrongfully being accused of a improper sex matter.

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,083 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

It was mentioned this morning on Breakfast TV that apologies for false accusations are printed in minute detail inside the newspaper responsible, whereas the original story was headline grabbing. It was said the apology should be more prominent and not tucked away.

I'd like it to be a rule that a retraction must be printed on the same page number and take up the same space as the disproven allegation.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,290 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I'd like it to be a rule that a retraction must be printed on the same page number and take up the same space as the disproven allegation.

+1

We kind of all know which things are wrong and which are OK when we see them, after they've happened. I would find it hard to draw the public interest line in a legal framework.

Hypothetical example: Secretly gay MP votes with party whip against gay marriage bill - out him or not?
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

This was what was suggested.

#15 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

The Scottish Government is looking at the Irish system of regulation.

http://www.channel4....orks-in-ireland
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#16 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Press freedom is important, yet, but there needs to be some sort of regulation that's independent of the press (and government in my opinion). The two central points are this:

1. The Press Complaints Commission as it stands is useless and governed by self-interest.

2. The press, and particularly Paul Dacre, should get nowhere near the new regulator.

Some kind of compromise that allows the status quo to continue will be found, though - too many vested interests. All the parties (bar, perhaps, the Lib Dems) have coised up to Murdoch etc at some point. Alex Salmond is still doing it.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

The lobby group Media Standards Trust has just published the results of a YouGov poll it commissioned and surprise surprise, the results support the line that the MST takes. However, this conclusion seems to have escapes much attention: http://mediastandard...t-poll-results/ scroll down to summary of results.

"47% trust Lord Justice Leveson ‘A Great Deal’ (8%) or ‘A Fair Amount’ (39%) to make fair and effective recommendations on regulating the press, while 33% trust him ‘Not Very Much’ (29%) or ‘Not At All’ (6%) to do this. 21% don’t know."

Maybe we just don't trust anyone anymore.

I wonder if anyone can guess the stance of the MST based on its board: see http://mediastandard...g/about/people/

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

The lobby group Media Standards Trust has just published the results of a YouGov poll it commissioned and surprise surprise, the results support the line that the MST takes.

YouGov, eh? Bunch of biased lying liars.
- Severus, July 2012

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Press freedom is important, yet, but there needs to be some sort of regulation that's independent of the press (and government in my opinion). The two central points are this:

1. The Press Complaints Commission as it stands is useless and governed by self-interest.

2. The press, and particularly Paul Dacre, should get nowhere near the new regulator.

Some kind of compromise that allows the status quo to continue will be found, though - too many vested interests. All the parties (bar, perhaps, the Lib Dems) have coised up to Murdoch etc at some point. Alex Salmond is still doing it.

1. Yes
2. Yes, not Dacre, not Rustbridger, not anyone
3. Must provide redress for the many "smaller" victims. Self publicists such as Grant etc are happy to engineer and capitalise on publicity when they want to, but the Dowlers etc need instant affordable and effective redress
4. Keep the Media Standards Trust out of it ( and Common Purpose zealots, too)
5. maybe hand it all over to us on the TRL forum, plain speaking, diverse opinions,no bullshitting (well...) people of action, that's us!

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

YouGov, eh? Bunch of biased lying liars.

If that is your view you are entitled to it, but I can't agree. If it helps , though, have a look here: http://yougov.co.uk/...ic-really-want/

( warning: contains content you may not like)

Edited by JohnM, 29 November 2012 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users